Show me your keys...

I got my ebay key to replace my aging RDX key, thought id provide some comparisons. The ebay key thankfully has a properly sized blank so it should be able to be cut without issue. Build quality wise, its definitely a cheaper feeling key than the OEMs, i found a local locksmith who can cut and claims to even be able to program honda keys so later in the week will be the real test.

2012-09-26195844.jpg

2012-09-26195822.jpg

ethlar, I picked up the same switchblade key from eBay and my Honda dealer cut it for me for free today. I'm not sure if I missed something though because its giving me a key error. I move the insides of the OEM to the eBay one, but I have to research what went wrong. Any ideas??

i take it you cant get your car to start or stay running, and have a blinking green key light on the dash? The issue is that the transponder chip is moved too far away in this ebay key, you have two options depending on how you want to fix it.

Option 1
Take a knife or saw to your valet key, cut the grey plastic off and find this thing in the middle
60449-albums5749-picture43642.jpg

60449-albums5749-picture43643.jpg

60449-albums5749-picture43644.jpg

and put it up near the base of the new key

Option 2
Remove the transponder from the original key board with a soldering iron (black rectangle)
IMG_0199.jpg

attach two wires to the ends of the transponder and the pads where it used to be connected and extend it out
IMG_0232.jpg

and put it up near the base of the key
IMG_0239.jpg

Oh man, that really sucks. The auction didn't mention anything about that. It also didn't come with any kind of instructions...Guess I have to decided if I really want to do it now. Thanks!

I ended up pulling the transponder from the RDX key, and put it in the ebay key to make things work, so it was just like the valet key option

Figured I would bump this thread... (and a few more) with my 9thCivic Lanyard.

Representing my Subaru Key! :)

9thCivicLanyard.jpg

As much as I like the keyless entry and trunk release, having to carry around two Honda keys (wife's car), house keys, and work keys, not to mention I want to get remote start, the size of keys is getting ridiculous!

I am a man. I have pockets. Not a freaking purse!

All I have is the car key, dog tag, house key, and those bar code shopping tags(which I trimmed down to as small an oval as user possible).
I keep my wallet in the driver door(the wallet has a grommet hole in the corner where I put a two end hook that I can snap my key ring on), outside the car I carry the wallet with the keys hanging off it..... where one goes so does the other, and If I want hands free I snap the both to my Civic 9th lanyard.

Mines in the blue cover and the wifeys EX key. Have 9thcivic lanyard but cant find it now after moving..Bet my mom has it stashed somewhere...
705287_10151303923211391_1962014736_o.jpg

brown_bear ..... You don't hang all that from the ignition do you ? Just the key, right ?

The reason I ask, there's been a lot said about damage to the ignition if there's any wt. on them, just saying.

Monk Guilty as charged, I do :sadbanana:, but lately since I've been working at a different site I've been unclipping my key and just hanging that and leaving the lanyard on my neck, pocket or in the car. Since i tend to forget my lunch in the car, just unclip the key.

I think it looks good like that too.

Back