Excessive Engine Oil Consumption

Applies To:
2012 Civic Si 2-Door – From VIN 2HGFG4A...H700001 thru 2HGFG4A...H703398
2012 Civic Si 4-Door – From VIN 2HGFB6E...H700001 thru 2HGFB6E...H703802

SYMPTOM
The engine oil level is low on the dipstick, and the low
oil pressure indicator may come on.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Replace all the engine pistons and the piston rings.

thank you for the info Jason. I'm going to put this info into post 1, and the other burning oil thread.

Great... :/ that's me. I'm H701135 in my si sedan. I knew I wasn't bugging. I'm surprised the low oil hasn't flashed yet its been 3000 miles. This sucks.

So if your vin number is in that list. You get your pistons and rings replaced? Or do you have to do the oil consumption test? And will having the reflash void this?

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

So if your vin number is in that list. You get your pistons and rings replaced? Or do you have to do the oil consumption test? And will having the reflash void this?

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

The bulletin does not reference any prerequisites other than "The engine oil level is low on the dipstick, and the low oil pressure indicator may come on."

Great... :/ that's me. I'm H701135 in my si sedan. I knew I wasn't bugging. I'm surprised the low oil hasn't flashed yet its been 3000 miles. This sucks.
Our Si Sedan is ...1137 and we're not having an issue at 5400 miles. Wonder if it's an assembly problem - we'll probably never know.
Hope yours is "cured" shortly.

Our Si Sedan is ...1137 and we're not having an issue at 5400 miles. Wonder if it's an assembly problem - we'll probably never know.
Hope yours is "cured" shortly.

I'm a lil scared if I do this. Wonder if the car will be the same...

I'm almost at 15000 miles. Had in oil change jus before sept. will be checking the oil level this weekend. Maybe the consumption stopped.

I believe three users here have already had this work done. They all seem happy.

So my si vin fits in this bulletin and they just completed my test. My so not burning oil this last month. Should I bring it back?

So my si vin fits in this bulletin and they just completed my test. My so not burning oil this last month. Should I bring it back?
Does it also meet this standard?
"The engine oil level is low on the dipstick, and the low oil pressure indicator may come on."

Does it also meet this standard?
"The engine oil level is low on the dipstick, and the low oil pressure indicator may come on."
Exactly. The bulletin is simply a notice to Honda technicians on how to handle the issue. If your car isn't consuming excessive oil, then please disregard the bulletin...even if your car falls into the range of cars that qualify.

Exactly. The bulletin is simply a notice to Honda technicians on how to handle the issue. If your car isn't consuming excessive oil, then please disregard the bulletin...even if your car falls into the range of cars that qualify.

Thank God. Keeping fingers crossed mine stays the same as it has, been almost 2K miles since I changed factory fill and it's been at the full mark every time I've checked it :)

So after my pistons and rings were replaced, I drove it for about 1000 miles and didn't have any oil loss. Although they filled it with 10w-20 not the recommended 0w-20. After this 1000 miles they did a complimemtary oil change to check it and make sure everything was good. They filled me up with 0w-20 and I haven't been able to drive it much (I'm currently out of town for work). If I notice anything I'll be sure to comment and let my 9thcivic friends know.

So my i-mid says oil 20% but dipstick is about 1/4 above the bottom dot. Is this normal for the 3000 miles since my last oil change.

I believe the top to bottom holes on the dipstick equal 1 quart. So you've used ~3/4 of a quart in 3k miles. Some users were using over a quart in a 1k miles. You wouldn't be a candidate for the engine work.

I'm a lil scared if I do this. Wonder if the car will be the same...

I'm almost at 15000 miles. Had in oil change jus before sept. will be checking the oil level this weekend. Maybe the consumption stopped.

I would do it, if it is a problem I do not think it will go away. Obviously go to a serious dealership with senior mechanics but in the end it is engine work that is routine for an experienced mechanic.

I used 1.5 quarts of oil between 1800-3500miles on OD now I'm at 4950 miles. I've had the car for a year now. The thing is all my driving is short trips and it doesn't burn oil unless I drive excess 200miles + in one trip. My job is less then 1 mile away. Them doing the oil consumption test over the last 2 months I was lucky to put on 600miles probably about 450 but still. On the times when I did drive few hundred miles it burnt half a quart at least. I just don't wanna be stuck with a lemon

Back