Anyone else with a remote car starter?

MissE

New Brunswick, Canada
Vehicle Model
Civic Si w/Navi
Body Style
Coupe
Ok, so I just had a remote car starter installed in my Si by my dealership (due to our delightfully freezing winters on the Canadian East coast). I'm just wondering, does anyone else on here have one?

I was expecting your typical system that I have seen in family and friends cars (where you turn the car off however you normally would and it's good to go), but in mine there is a 4 step process you need to follow within a 20 second window everytime you go to turn off the car if you want the remote starter to be "engaged" (ie: usable). You need to shift into neutral, pull the e-brake, release the regular brake, and then push a button on the keychain remote. If you do any of these steps out of order or take longer than 20 seconds then the remote starter won't engage. Then the car stays running until you get out of it (even though you've removed the key from the ignition) and it turns the car off once you're outside the car and push the doorlock button. Also, when the starter is "engaged" it seems to render the buttons to lock/unlock the doors on the actual car key useless.

I've never used a car starter in a standard car before now, but does all of this sound normal? Because to me it seems rediculously complex and if my dealership had bothered to tell me all of this in advance I'm not sure I would have bothered with it. :eek:

Most people don't have manual cars. So I imagine it is not as complex for them, but I could be mistaken.

It may have something to do with the clutch engagement for starting the car? :confuzzled:

That seems pretty odd. Would you have to leave it in N???? I mean, it does sound like shutting down a manual if you were to leave it in N. Still seems pretty strange to me....

it's all a safety precaution, because a number of places refuse to even install remote start on a manual trans car. If the system could start in any gear, it'd obviously lurch on startup. On an auto trans car it's an entirely different story. It's also a fail safe if you'd bump the keys in your pocket/purse whatever... and your car was not in neutral. They want to make sure your car is setup properly before you get out so no accidents take place.

That seems pretty odd. Would you have to leave it in N???? I mean, it does sound like shutting down a manual if you were to leave it in N. Still seems pretty strange to me....
Yes, if I left it in gear then it would just stall when the car tried to start itself. Normally I would leave it in first but I knew that would have to change. It just seems finicky to me. My dad has one in his SUV and you don't have to do anything special at all, but his is an automatic.

it's all a safety precaution, because a number of places refuse to even install remote start on a manual trans car. If the system could start in any gear, it'd obviously lurch on startup. On an auto trans car it's an entirely different story. It's also a fail safe if you'd bump the keys in your pocket/purse whatever... and your car was not in neutral. They want to make sure your car is setup properly before you get out so no accidents take place.
I guess I get that, but right now it's seeming very labour intensive. I'm hoping after I've had it a while it becomes more natural (and I actually remember to do it every time), because right now I just go to turn off the car without all the "routine" and then I have to stop myself and make sure I go through all the steps.

I have always left my cars in neutral and used the parking brake. So that part would not be a problem for me.

Because I have always left it in neutral, I ALWAYS forget to check to see how the service people left it when done. I pop the damn clutch EVERY time. I understand this is what they are accustomed to, but it is my car and the least they could do is be considerate and take note of how I parked it...end rant.

Should should always try to leave it in gear. I've had my old 8th gen roll out of a parking spot before...with the hand brake on.

Should should always try to leave it in gear. I've had my old 8th gen roll out of a parking spot before...with the hand brake on.

To each their own, I guess. Also helps keeps the e-brake in good working condition. Not too mention be cognizant of maintenance for it.

I have never had a problem in nearly nine years. Although, Northern Indiana is flat as can be.

Just to make you feel a "little" better about all the extra stuff you have to do.......... I don't have a remote starter, but I have a automatic, and everytime I park, I put my foot on the brake, then put it in neutral, then pull up the e-brake, let off the foot brake, then put it in park............. Reason is not to leave pressure on the gears.

As you said after you do your routine enough times it well become automatic. Although I don't like the idea of not having it in gear, of course small roped chock would suffice.

Ok, so I just had a remote car starter installed in my Si by my dealership (due to our delightfully freezing winters on the Canadian East coast). I'm just wondering, does anyone else on here have one?

I was expecting your typical system that I have seen in family and friends cars (where you turn the car off however you normally would and it's good to go), but in mine there is a 4 step process you need to follow within a 20 second window everytime you go to turn off the car if you want the remote starter to be "engaged" (ie: usable). You need to shift into neutral, pull the e-brake, release the regular brake, and then push a button on the keychain remote. If you do any of these steps out of order or take longer than 20 seconds then the remote starter won't engage. Then the car stays running until you get out of it (even though you've removed the key from the ignition) and it turns the car off once you're outside the car and push the doorlock button. Also, when the starter is "engaged" it seems to render the buttons to lock/unlock the doors on the actual car key useless.

I've never used a car starter in a standard car before now, but does all of this sound normal? Because to me it seems rediculously complex and if my dealership had bothered to tell me all of this in advance I'm not sure I would have bothered with it. :eek:
I had a Compustar remote start on my 2006 Si and it was the exact same procedure. I found it to be acceptable and it didn't take me long to memorize the procedure. And besides, I only used it during the winter.

Wow that wouldn't work for me, I always park in gear, ebrake up. I had a remote start on my 4runner, it was an auto, I miss it, it's too damn cold now I want heat right away. Lol. But I know it's more complicated n dangerous so I will jus get an alarm sans remote start.

i have had 2 autostart remote starters in 3 manual cars all have same saftey features ebrake put in nuetral press start button and lights flash remove key exit car lock doors car turns off and the car is remote startable. i have even done all this put ebrake in nuetral press start button open door as if you have exited lock doors car shuts off car is still remote startable. then while still in car put it in gear then tried remote starting car would turn over not even a click from starter.

the only thing i find annoying is if you forgot anything in the car you have to press the start button and unlock doors and then grab what you forgot. if you just unlock and enter it will not ben remote startable.

I looked at it, looks scary to me, I have no experience in such things. I wanna start small on my car like installing an intake on my own. I was actually gon try on my bro veloster first but he didn't buy the intake anymore.

I'll get used to it I figure, right now I just keep forgetting to push the button and turn off the car normally. Hopefully I'll get into the routine soon! But yeah, when it isn't freezing cold out I haven't been bothering to use it.

i got the smart start system, had my car stereo guy install it. works awesome. i dont do any of that extra crap. by law i guess the dealer has to install that safety type one. i just make sure to leave my car in neutral. and my clutch switch still works normally, car wont start unless i step on clutch. but in remote start mode, the remote starter sends a signal to the clutch allowing it to start. plus i can start it with my cell phone anywhere in the world i have cell coverage. that kind of range is awesome

I have always left my cars in neutral and used the parking brake. So that part would not be a problem for me.

Because I have always left it in neutral, I ALWAYS forget to check to see how the service people left it when done. I pop the damn clutch EVERY time. I understand this is what they are accustomed to, but it is my car and the least they could do is be considerate and take note of how I parked it...end rant.

Yep. I am the same way when I had my manual car which was the 1991 Honda CRX-HF. Great car. So anyway, I always put it in neutral and use the parking brake so I know the transmissions won't get messed up if something should happen to the car. I dunno what but it was habit that I have with manuals.

I think it's a good thing that you do that every time.

i got the smart start system, had my car stereo guy install it. works awesome. i dont do any of that extra crap. by law i guess the dealer has to install that safety type one. i just make sure to leave my car in neutral. and my clutch switch still works normally, car wont start unless i step on clutch. but in remote start mode, the remote starter sends a signal to the clutch allowing it to start. plus i can start it with my cell phone anywhere in the world i have cell coverage. that kind of range is awesome

That is sweet. Although with your cell phone I can imagine you butt dialing your car by mistake :)

Back