Toys For Tots
Alexandria, VA
Vehicle Model
Generation X
Body Style
Dad
DIY 2012 Honda Civic Navigation System Software Update Guide

B.sized.jpg

This article covers the installation of the 2013 Yellow USB Map Update v9.C0 for model year 2012. 2013 models already have this update.
Shown here is it installed on a 2012 Civic Si.

What you need:
Important Notes:
  • Park your vehicle in a safe, well-ventilated area.
  • The engine must be running to prevent the battery from discharging during the update.
    Loss of power during the update can cause navigation system damage!
  • Do not drive your vehicle at any time during the update.
  • The navigation function is not useable during the map update.
  • The navigation system can not go back to the previous version after the map update.
Let's Begin:
  1. Navigation system boot up.
    Start the engine and let the navigation system boot up.
    When the following Confirmation screen appears, select OK.

Ea.sized.jpg

2. Install the USB device.
    Open and fully extend the glove box.
    Locate the USB interface and install the USB device. The USB interface is located in a holder in the upper portion of the glove box. Pull down the USB cable from above.

C.sized.jpg

3. Start the update.
    When the following screen appears, select Continue on the touch screen.

002a_002.sized.jpg

4. Enter the password.
    When the following screen appears, enter your 12-digit alpha-numeric password that came with your email confirmation when your ordered the update.

003a_002.sized.jpg

5. Update will commence.
    When the Notification screen appears, select OK on the touch screen.

004a_003.sized.jpg

Various screens will then be presented as the software update cycles the process, during which the navigation system will automatically reboot. This will take between 15-20 minutes.

005_G_003.sized.jpg

006_G_004.sized.jpg

007_G_003.sized.jpg

008_G_003.sized.jpg

012_G_006.sized.jpg

6. Map update complete.
    The map update is complete when the following Notification screen appears.
    You may now remove the USB device and reinstall the USB adapter interface in it's holder.

013a_001.sized.jpg

The following Notice screen appears. Select OK on the touch screen.
    With this update, the Notice screen shown below replaces the prior Confirmation screen. This screen will only appear for 5 seconds, then change to the map screen regardless if OK is selected.

014_G_004.sized.jpg
That's it, you're all done!

so, I'm guessing you've not noticed anything different beyond updated maps? There is also a way to fix botched maps/updates/downgrade maps to previous versions. It's usually 3 buttons pressed at the same time. It was map/menu/cancel all pressed together on other honda models. Hold it for 5 seconds and it'd pull up a whole new menu of options for reverting to a different nav map, diagnostics and so on. I realize this nav model is new,... but the civic, fit, crv, oddysey, pilot etc all had variations of the 3 button hidden menu.

• Staff
so, I'm guessing you've not noticed anything different beyond updated maps? There is also a way to fix botched maps/updates/downgrade maps to previous versions. It's usually 3 buttons pressed at the same time. It was map/menu/cancel all pressed together on other honda models. Hold it for 5 seconds and it'd pull up a whole new menu of options for reverting to a different nav map, diagnostics and so on. I realize this nav model is new,... but the civic, fit, crv, oddysey, pilot etc all had variations of the 3 button hidden menu.
Important Notes:
  • The navigation system can not go back to the previous version after the map update.
It seems to be a simple map update. I haven't noticed anything new yet, other than the new confirmation screen and the fact that it goes straight to the map whether you select OK or not.
Previously, if you didn't select OK at the Confirmation screen, the screen would simply go dark. I preferred the old way personally.

There is definitely no new Pandora option nor any new iMid functions.

Interesting. You'll have to keep us updated if you find anything else that's changed.

I'm debating whether or not to upgrade. Seems a bit expensive to do it every year. I might try every 2nd year.

• Staff
Interesting. You'll have to keep us updated if you find anything else that's changed.

I'm debating whether or not to upgrade. Seems a bit expensive to do it every year. I might try every 2nd year.
Basing it off of my prior 2006 Civic, they usually make very minute updates to the software itself.
I'll be sure to post anything else new that I notice.

Yeah I do the same thing with all of my GPS devices. Every couple of years is good enough.

Basing it off of my prior 2006 Civic, they usually make very minute updates to the software itself.
I'll be sure to post anything else new that I notice.

It's a little bit of a bummer that they didn't add any new major features but not unexpected. Makes me wonder that our NAVI in the 2012 exactly the same as the 2013 model or not? Only thing I could think of would be not enough ROM / RAM space in the 2012 NAVI to load the new features?

Thanks for the DIY write up tho. I like it now that the first screen goes to the map after 5 seconds. I find it annoying but already a habit to hit that confirmation button each time I start the car.

they are not the same as the 2013 unit. Users have found out by dissecting the 2012's unit in another thread

It's a little bit of a bummer that they didn't add any new major features but not unexpected. Makes me wonder that our NAVI in the 2012 exactly the same as the 2013 model or not? Only thing I could think of would be not enough ROM / RAM space in the 2012 NAVI to load the new features?

Thanks for the DIY write up tho. I like it now that the first screen goes to the map after 5 seconds. I find it annoying but already a habit to hit that confirmation button each time I start the car.

Agreed. Not having to hit OK would be great. I just have to convince myself that its not worth $175.

they are not the same as the 2013 unit. Users have found out by dissecting the 2012's unit in another thread

Yeah. Probably going to wait on the Alpine model to become available as it's been said to be 100% compatible with our cars without messing around with the wiring. I had a chance to play with it at the tinting shop and I like the features. Very expensive though. Makes me want just get a Android tablet and do it myself. lol.

Yeah. Probably going to wait on the Alpine model to become available as it's been said to be 100% compatible with our cars without messing around with the wiring. I had a chance to play with it at the tinting shop and I like the features. Very expensive though. Makes me want just get a Android tablet and do it myself. lol.

you've caught my eye!, so whats this about an alpine model? like factory navi from 2013? or aftermarket that works in our cars?

How did you get the glove box to open all the way? is there a pressure point you have to push?

i placed a bid on ebay for a new un opened 2017 yellow usb. should i cancel then because i wont have a password to enter?

Hello,

How to carry out updates for Honda Civic 2012 EXS in Latin American countries?

No authorized dealer at ex.:Brazil knew how to help in this regard.

Grateful,

Back