XXR Wheels? Good deal or just cheap crap?

bdh63

Greensboro, NC
Vehicle Model
LX
Body Style
Sedan
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this brand of wheels. I like what they have to offer but some of the prices blow the competition out of the water. For example I can get a set of 18x8.75 XXR 530's for roughly $600 shipped while a set of enkei raijin 18x8.5 shipped is gonna cost $940. Is this a case of "you pay for what you get"? Do the xxrs not hold up as well? Is the fit and finish not that great? Inferior materials? Anyone with experience with this brand please help.

Last edited:
A number of users are on xxr's so I'm sure they can chime in. I know a number of enkei wheels are very lightweight. Do you know the weights on both you're looking at?

Dude I love my XXR's 530's I haven't had no issues at all in fitment and hasn't chipped or anything. I get a lot of compliments everywhere I go.

The XXRs are not really recommended for track I believe.

I believe the big difference is in weight, performance, and strength. The XXR is a nice price and is probably reasonably strong for DD use. It's not a lightweight forged superstrong track wheel.

Enkei has a good rep for lightweight and strength. I think the possibility of denting your XXR is higher than the enkei but if you are hitting a pothole or curb that hard you would probably wreck a nice wheel too.

Materials and cast vs forged play a big part in the overall cost and strength factor. I bought xxr's for the wifes car. They haven't showed up yet so I can't speak to the fit & finish yet. They were in a color she wanted and a style she wanted and stayed within budget (by a lot!). I think they will probably be super heavy though.

It really depends on what you want out of the wheel. If you are going to really really mod your car for big power and track days, buy a wheel that is designed for that type of abuse and strength. If it's just your DD then get what you like that's in your budget.

Last edited:
Try to put them on a weighing scale once you get them. XXR does make good looking wheels though.

Xxr looks pretty nice, consider a set of 527 just for driving around town, but I wouldn't put my daughter and my wife in the car if I'm rolling with xxr.

If I can crack 3 out of 4 Volks racing on my Jetta just by driving around Los Angeles, i can't imagine what I can do to destroy xxr.

Xxr looks pretty nice, consider a set of 527 just for driving around town, but I wouldn't put my daughter and my wife in the car if I'm rolling with xxr.

If I can crack 3 out of 4 Volks racing on my Jetta just by driving around Los Angeles, i can't imagine what I can do to destroy xxr.

Warranty on the wheels? That's pretty scary!

It is pretty scary, thank god the rims never detached...

Rims alway crack at the pressure point (end of the spoke where it connect to the barrel), my Volks was mesh rims and every spoke cracked. I can't warranty it because I know I drove through too many pot holes and I already know they are not gonna warranty it because the x ray result will be the same.

Btw, had it for less than 1 year.

What size tires were you running?

The streets are horrible in LA though. My bro lives in west hollywood. I could not believe it.

Last edited:
18x7.5 with 225/40-18

la street are not the greatest in the world, especially during that stretch, i visit the l.a. garment industries alot, the roads are very bad due to all the trucks & 18 wheelers

Yeah man. That 225/40 isn't that thin either. Those roads are just monsters.

It is pretty scary, thank god the rims never detached...

Rims alway crack at the pressure point (end of the spoke where it connect to the barrel), my Volks was mesh rims and every spoke cracked. I can't warranty it because I know I drove through too many pot holes and I already know they are not gonna warranty it because the x ray result will be the same.

Btw, had it for less than 1 year.

Damn that sucks man. Well I can say that my wife and my son has been riding in my car and my xxx wheels haven't cracked thank the lord.

This probably occurs more to the 18s than the 17s since the 18s can give a harsher ride due to the lower profile tires.

corona's road is smooth & wide !! lol....

my problem is that even if i see a pot hole in front of me, i have to drive through it. the other lane is always occupied by a school of trucks & 18 wheelers

Last edited:
What size tires were you running?

The streets are horrible in LA though. My bro lives in west hollywood. I could not believe it.

I've been around LA and it's pretty bad. Although I think the roads up here around the bay area are probably worst. I-580 is the pits...seriously.

Well this thread started out promising in favor of the xxr's. Now You guys have scared the bejesus out of me lol.. Looks like I'm gonna have to wait til I can cough up the extra $300 for the Enkei's. I bent a 20" rim in a pothole about 10years ago and it wasn't fun. 1 pothole bent the lip which in turn ruptured the sidewall.. Spend the extra money up front so no regrets later I suppose. Thanks for the input guys.

Back