Acura ILX Changes Coming Due To Slow Sales

The CLA will hurt the ILX sales so much more. I don't think Acura can even bump down the ILX's price bc it will be creeping close to the 2013 Si's.

i think if they had a coupe version added. they would sell better and also lower the price and add an optional v6. and also add the option for the acura SH-AWD.

i really wish acura and honda would start using more rwd in there sedans like the accord. i think it would be such a huge hit if they added the SH-AWD to the civic. people would be buying civics left and right.

If Honda makes a 4wd Civic Wagon like decades ago, I'd get one. I doubt the SH-AWD technology will touch any Honda models. The CR-V doesn't even have it.

Hahaha. Yeah!! I'm in agreement all of you guys. Drove an ILX a while back (2.4 version). Was really nice but if I'm gonna spend nearly $30k in a Civic clone, I'd want navigation like I can get in the Civic. It had quite a soft suspension too. I like my little Si and if I wanted to, I'd upgrade to a '13 Si and stick in some Katzkin leather seats and have a $25k Civic with the leather interior.

If Honda makes a 4wd Civic Wagon like decades ago, I'd get one. I doubt the SH-AWD technology will touch any Honda models. The CR-V doesn't even have it.
true. i just think honda has so many areas they could make even better. i think they should bring the s2000 back and destroy the the frs/brz in the rwd game

The problem is that the FF layout is space efficient, while FR is not. You can make the same size car, and a properly design FF car will have significantly more space inside than an equivalent FR car. Adding AWD isn't going to provide enough profit potential to justify the investment. The Civic already sells incredibly well, and if consumers were so drawn to the AWD option, the Subaru Impreza would outsell the Civic. Not saying your ideas are bad by any means, just not likely to happen.

On the topic of the ILX, I really wish they were finally get rid of the corporate beak and add an LSD to the car. Honestly, I would've considered the ILX if it came with the LSD. Without it, there's no way I could justify the car to myself with the 2.4L.

The problem is that the FF layout is space efficient, while FR is not. You can make the same size car, and a properly design FF car will have significantly more space inside than an equivalent FR car. Adding AWD isn't going to provide enough profit potential to justify the investment. The Civic already sells incredibly well, and if consumers were so drawn to the AWD option, the Subaru Impreza would outsell the Civic. Not saying your ideas are bad by any means, just not likely to happen.

On the topic of the ILX, I really wish they were finally get rid of the corporate beak and add an LSD to the car. Honestly, I would've considered the ILX if it came with the LSD. Without it, there's no way I could justify the car to myself with the 2.4L.
i agree with you these ideas would never happen likely. but i just think it would be an awesome thought if they did.

It is weird how the K24 ILX doesn't have LSD.

i think Acura should also bring back the integra. Acura still lacks any cars with 2 doors. i understand how Acura isnt the company for young buyers. but with Mercedes and BMW targeting the young crowd with there newest additions with compact cars. i dont think the ILX will stand a chance against there possible AMG and M versions. they really need to look into maybe an ILX type s version with a tsx v6 or in my theroy which would be dreaming would be a 2.4 with a supercharger.

In the very least they need to add LSD and the tech package option to the 2.4 and lower the price then the ILX would sell. Problem with the ILX is your not getting 30k worth of car.

Mendel appears to be becoming an expert at making excuses for why some of Honda/Acura's line up had fallen short, all while dancing around taking accountability for any of them. First the 2012 Civic then the ILX.

I personally like the ILX, but for the money, there's a lot of other cars out there that I'd buy first - especially considering the ***-first idea that you can't get a navigation unit with the 6MT 2.4L model, but you can on the significantly cheaper (and now vastly improved) Civic Si. That makes no sense to me. What the user a few above me said about needing add LSD and the Tech Package - hit the nail on the head. It's not $30,000 worth of car.

I look forward to seeing the changes they make. It's going to take more than nicer dashboard materials to fix this oopsie. Maybe they did get it off lucky on the Civic lol.

Last edited:
i really wish acura and honda would start using more rwd in there sedans like the accord. i think it would be such a huge hit if they added the SH-AWD to the civic. people would be buying civics left and right.

I think if Civic would become rwd it would loose a lot of customers in Canada and other places where there is actually snow :) - including Europe. Civic is basically a commuter car and as such has to be relatively cheap. And RWD is not a cheap thing + you loose a lot of space in the trunk and in the rear seats (middle passenger)

I don't see it coming. It would be maybe a good idea if they paired a hybrid motor on the rear wheels and the combustion engine to the front wheels :)

Maybe AWD of some sort. Those sort of things are quite common in Japan, where just about every gas-only car is offered with AWD (yes, even the Honda Fit and Toyota Corolla).

Then again, Toyota made a serious push a couple of decades back, and it failed miserably (even with the rally derived cars). Nobody who bought a Camry, really wanted AWD with it, I guess.

However, I've lived in NE for most of my life, and was fine with FWD (hillclimbs included). Though, if I had to go back, I wouldn't settle for less than AWD. I'm not that young, anymore (and the drivers around Boston seem to have gotten even more reckless!).

Last edited:
I think if Civic would become rwd it would loose a lot of customers in Canada and other places where there is actually snow :) - including Europe. Civic is basically a commuter car and as such has to be relatively cheap. And RWD is not a cheap thing + you loose a lot of space in the trunk and in the rear seats (middle passenger)

I don't see it coming. It would be maybe a good idea if they paired a hybrid motor on the rear wheels and the combustion engine to the front wheels :)

I agree with you that RWD is more expensive. I disagree with the winter considerations though :)

I find RWD actually gives you better control in winter but more driver skill is required since heavy foot driving can result in undesired fishtailing. Before the Japanese/Korean invasion though a lot of cars in NA were RWD Northern US and Canada as well. The RWD not safe for winter I find it to be a modern misconception no offense intended.

before i lease my lx sedan, i was gonna lease the base model ilx, the difference was only $60 a month. i did test drove the car, i love the interior, it is very nice for a 26k car & i like the size too, it's perfect for what i need right now.

if i didn't have projectors & white work rims & hfp axle back already, i know i will pick up the ilx

i wish base ilx will come with manual transmission option, & i really hate acura's color line up, it's too dull & depressing. i understand their trying to be more "luxury" & "classy"... so if mercedes & bmw & audi can offer bright colors, why can't they ??

if ilx available in both TW & RR, it will sell better...

Back