2012 Civic EX 5MT or 2013 LX 5MT ??

Gman_civic

Cambridge, Ontario, CDA
Body Style
Sedan
All you Civic LX/EX Sedan owners...

If you could choose between the 2012 Civic EX w 5MT Sedan, and the 2013 Civic LX w 5MT Sedan, which would you choose and why? - Assuming pricing would be (somewhat) close to ea other.

Last edited:
have you sat in/driven them both? There are quite a few changes to the 2013 model.

I would go for EX 2012 cause you can really bargain for the car. Alloy wheels, moon roof, and rear break disc are plus+++.

Are you in the US? Unless it changed for 2013, the EX sedan isn't available with the 5MT here. Only the 2D EX coupe is available with the 5MT.

Edit: Nevermind. I see you're in Canada. They do have the EX with the 5MT there.

Corrrect me if I'm wrong but just the 2012 EX coupes have the MT option. Although the alloy wheels, moon roof, rear disc brakes, premium audio, bluetooth, etc. would have been nice, I wanted a MT sedan - a LX.

If it were me, I'd choose the EX. The alloy wheels and rear disc brakes are the main reasons I wanted an EX sedan, but since they weren't available with a manual in the US, i got an LX. The moonroof, bluetooth, and slightly better stereo would've been icing on the cake.

Since Canadian LXs have Bluetooth, the main thing you'd lose is the moonroof, alloy wheels, and rear disc brakes. The 2012 should have some steep discounts by now, so it should be pretty close in price to the 2013 LX. The wheels alone in my opinion are worth more than the difference in price. You just have to decide if those extras are worth the extra cost.

For the bargain you will get I would personally opt for the 12 EX. The Moonroof, Alloys, Disc Brakes, and especially for your resale value down the road. I find the EX 12 is about the same for cabin noise as the 13 LX. IF you were looking to compare 12 LX vs 13 LX I would say go for the 13 for sure! (cabin noise, features, resale)

Agreed- go with the EX if the price is right. I don't think the sedan has the sound system upgrade, but I chose a 12 over waiting for a 13 LX since my coupe has 4-wheel disks, the 360 watt sound system, the moonroof and is the top of the line possible with a stick shift. Honestly resale of a stick shift isn't as good as an automatic car but the EX has a highest MSRP to start, which I think can help, especially when seeing a 2012 with the same miles as a 2013 means lower mileage "per year," ex: (After 5 years of 10000 miles/year, the 2013 LX will have 10000 miles/year while the 2012 EX will seem like it was driven "8300 miles a year."

the EX sedan doesn't have any more power than the LX, but it does add two tweeters. it doesn't make a huge difference, but still better than the LX. the premium audio in the EX and up coupes is better still, but i wouldn't call it great either.

Last edited:
K, looks like the consensus is to go with the 2012 EX in this situation, and I agree.
I checked insurance rates between models (Lx, EX, Si) and there isn't much of a difference between them (at least for my situation).
Not big on the sunroof in the EX, as I'd hardly ever use it (bald and sun burn easily - c'est la vie!) but the extra additions are great. Not too concerned about the '12 vs '13 interior, except if the '12 carpet is so cheap it falls apart. Not worried about the 5MT = lower resale, as I'd be keeping it for at least 10yrs. Back up camera i the '13 would be nice, but again, I don't really need it.

...now, just to throw a monkey wrench into things - what about a new '12 EX with 5MT vs a pre-owned '12 Civic Si (both sedan's)?? Hmmmm. Something else to consider. I would think that payments would be similar.

Last edited:
How many miles on the Si?

as long as the mileage is decent, I would have to pick the SI every time. Its a car that will always have a following and interest even 10 years down the road.

as long as the mileage is decent, I would have to pick the SI every time. Its a car that will always have a following and interest even 10 years down the road.
Keep in mind that a used car will have a higher interest rate. I'm not sure about Canada, but here most new cars are around 0.9-1.9% financing, while used cars might be 4.9% or higher unless you can find a special deal specifically for used cars. That can make a pretty big difference in payment even if you're financing the same amount for each car.

right now in Canada on a certified used civic rates start @ 1.49% and top out at 4.99% through Honda. The absolute best rate a bank can give right now (for an auto loan) is 5.99%. Most dealers will discount their used 2012's to reflect the difference in rates (otherwise they would have a really hard time selling a used one vs a new one)

right now in Canada on a certified used civic rates start @ 1.49% and top out at 4.99% through Honda. The absolute best rate a bank can give right now (for an auto loan) is 5.99%. Most dealers will discount their used 2012's to reflect the difference in rates (otherwise they would have a really hard time selling a used one vs a new one)
American Honda is running a similar special on certified used Civics as well, but OP didn't mention if it was a certified car or not. i know dealers will discount used 2012s, but depending on the used Si's mileage, the new 2012 EX might still be cheaper than the used 2012 Si.

Back