USB PORT UNDER ARM REST

Monk

SW Virginia
Vehicle Model
2012 Civic EX
Body Style
Coupe FG3:ASM
Does it hurt to leave music flash drive plugged in all the time(when car isn't running.... Battery) ???????
This is my 1st time using it.

I've never had an issue with it being plugged in 24-7. If you turn the car off while it's plugged in, you'll see it's no longer getting "charged" by the usb. So, it kills power to the port when you turn the car off.

I have had one plugged in since I purchased the car. Have multiples and never unplug one without another being in spot. I think the car turns these things off like your power to charge phones and what not.

Last edited:
Thank all of you for the info....... I just bought my 1st flash and had to find out how to load it(found out it was the same as loading any file, etc.)
It sure does make it easier than making CD's.

Last edited:
Thank all of you for the info....... I just bought my 1st flash and had to find out how to load it(found out it was the same as loading any file, etc.)
It sure does make it easier than making CD's.
Sure does. I thought Cds were awesome until I had a collection of 500 in a book. This has made life so much simpler. Some Flash drives do not work with our cars, it has been brand specific from what I have read and found out.

I am actually beginning to appreciate uncompressed audio again. I now need either the CD again or a rip in a lossless format.

I know a guy who buys cd format music as soon as it's released. He rips a copy to his hard drive / burns a copy to a cd-r. Then he lists it for sale on amazon the same day for a few dollars less then retail. He said he gets all of his music that way for a couple dollars, and then always has a backup on cd & his pc in lossless.

I unfortunately sold off my collection after I had ripped it years ago in 196k. :sadbanana:

I am actually beginning to appreciate uncompressed audio again. I now need either the CD again or a rip in a lossless format.

Amen brother! :) CDs are a bit inconvenient but they sound so much better. At home I prefer 96kHz 24 bit FLACs but sadly not so many titles available, I never tried in the car since I do not think the car speakers and accoustic can really showcase that quality. Did not find a small enough player for it it either at a HiFi quality.

USB stick wise it should not hurt at all to have it always in the port. A small extra consumption but for a storage device it is really quite low.

I know a guy who buys cd format music as soon as it's released. He rips a copy to his hard drive / burns a copy to a cd-r. Then he lists it for sale on amazon the same day for a few dollars less then retail. He said he gets all of his music that way for a couple dollars, and then always has a backup on cd & his pc in lossless.
I do that too :) Except I keep them, and burn copies for the car.

He just sells them back so he can feel like he bought an entire album for like 3 dollars or whatever....which in turn means more music buying.

Rationally it makes sense, some CDs have great art covers and I guess I just like them too much to sell them. I would like to go all vinyl but that becomes way too pricey media and equipment. Still have time though, just need to have more extra expendable cash.

What I've been doing is buying cd's I like and loading to my pc files, then load solo songs from my files to a cd-r so I don't have to listen to the same artist, and get about 20 - 22 songs to a cd.
I just tried my flash to see if it works, I wasn't aware there was a quality issue of music coming off a flash(unless we're just talking about wine in a box vs's a bottle with a cork). I'll pay attention tomorrow while cruising.....

What I've been doing is buying cd's I like and loading to my pc files, then load solo songs from my files to a cd-r so I don't have to listen to the same artist, and get about 20 - 22 songs to a cd.
I just tried my flash to see if it works, I wasn't aware there was a quality issue of music coming off a flash(unless we're just talking about wine in a box vs's a bottle with a cork). I'll pay attention tomorrow while cruising.....

There will be no quality issue coming from a flash drive. It is simply 1's and 0's. What will affect quality is the format you rip them in.

There will be no quality issue coming from a flash drive. It is simply 1's and 0's. What will affect quality is the format you rip them in.
Two points here......... what's the better format..... and how do I know which one I'm using/picking ?

Car wise a good 320 mp3 can be ok too, XM radio is not CD quality either yet it works. I do prefer CDs but I do not cough at mp3s or XM, just prefer loseless if possible. I have the stock setup on the car so not a horrible diff with compressed music. A good song is a good song even on crappy radio ;)

Two points here......... what's the better format..... and how do I know which one I'm using/picking ?

A lossless format such as FLAC would be best, but I don't think our cars support it. A high quality mp3 would be 320kbps bit rate when ripping the CD.

Back