HID Projector Comparisons

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
example.jpg

Little explanation of how each photo was taken:
I tried to place the cutoff shield step near the center line on the wall. Each of the concrete slabs were 14ft wide. The midpoints are marked by pieces of paper at 7ft. These are just points so you can gauge each picture and compare their properties. All of the shots were taken on a tripod at 25ft from the wall.

Each photo was taken in manual camera mode. They were taken at 400iso at F8 for 2 seconds. If one picture looks brighter or darker, that is a characteristic of the projector. With each photo being taken with the same properties, the camera will not adjust to make them all look the same as far as brightness etc. There are zero adjustments to color, contrast, brightness, sharpness etc in photoshop.

H1 Bulb - generic 6000k ebay bulb
All other photos: Generic D2S 6000k ebay bulb (unless otherwise noted).

On to the pics

Mini D2S (orasm bulb)
minid2s.jpg

Acura TSX Fresnel Lens
tsxfres.jpg

Acura TSX OEM Clear Lens
tsxclear.jpg

Mini H1 Low Beam
H1.jpg

Mini H1 High Beam
h1high.jpg

Acura TL Fresnel Lens
tlfres.jpg

Acura TL Fresnel Lens High Beam
tlreshhigh.jpg

Honda S2000 AP1 OEM Clear Lens
s2k.jpg

From those pictures, it looks like the Mini H1 is really great! Were all of the projectors installed in a housing with the same height, or were they bare and aimed by hand?

god such a crisp cut off from the AP1's i should have gone with those instead of the 3" FX-R's they've turned into such a project to get them to fit

about how far away from the wall are you for the pictures

about 25ft, labeled at the bottom of every picture

Last edited:
:pat: thanks, i only looked at the specs on the first picture not the rest of them

• Staff
All of the projectors were at 25ft on a little stool. They are not in a headlight housing. It's just the bare projector sitting on a stool. The height differences just has to do with how the projector was aimed to get it to lay level while snapping the pic. I had to put random objects under some to get them to lay level without tipping over.

Nice! The mini looks really sharp. More to come?
I'm going to redo the whole thing at another location maybe this week with some better shots. I have some aftermarket clear lenses I'll demonstrate as well. The original spot I planned to use was filled with cars, so I had to resort to this spot. I don't have any other projectors to show at this point. I'd be more than happy to test more if someone wants to loan me something. I'd pay for insured shipping both ways.

seems the whole retrofit thing is getting popular. its the first thing I did to my car and it was money well spent.

Reactions: Nix
The mini H1 uses HID bulb? The whiteness in the light seems way better.

I have some D2S 5000k bulbs sitting around if you want to use.

The mini H1 uses HID bulb? The whiteness in the light seems way better.
I have some D2S 5000k bulbs sitting around if you want to use.
The bulbs are from the same company rated 6k. The only one that isn't 6k is the projector in the 1st pic (with the orasm d2s bulb). I just wasn't thinking when I didn't swap the bulb into that projector at the end. It had a bulb already in it from messing around earlier. I'll run the orasm d2s in the others to see how they compare in the next test.

god such a crisp cut off from the AP1's i should have gone with those instead of the 3" FX-R's they've turned into such a project to get them to fit
Oh my god tell me about it. I've completely trashed the reflector bowls in this project trying to get the fx-rs to fit with a panamera shroud. Mounting the FX-Rs to the headlight housing now. I do not like the 3.0 design for mounting and so on the 2.0 was much easier to work with. I will most likely purchase a set of these though for my wifes car.

Back