Navigation Reset

Ron P

Hello. I purchased a used 12 civic with Navigation. I managed to get all the previous owners info deleted such as phones, and user#2 GPS info. However, user #1 has a pin code on all his or her stuff including address info, home address, etc. I can't access it or delete it without the pin code and I've guessed 5 beers worth including all four of the same, 1234, 9876, etc., etc. I'm stumped so I can only guess I need to reformat the entire unit via what I'm reading about is an ECU reset. However, I have no radio code card (no manuals whatsoever) plus it appears the previous owner has paid for an unknown term satellite radio as the dealer certainly provide me any freebie and I'd like to keep that as long as possible.

Is their an easier way to delete user #1 without his/her pin code? I have no way of getting his/her contact info.

If I do a ECU reset, will I lose the satellite subscription? How about needing the radio code?

Might I be better off ignoring user #1 and set myself as user #2 until the satellite subscription dies, that date is a big unknown?

Thanks!

Right Hand Side -"PIN"
Says you have to take it to the dealer to reset the system. Maybe someone else has a method of doing it, but I haven't seen anyone post a method here.
======

pin.png

Whatever they do... it should have nothing to do with the satellite subscription. Stop by your dealership

map/guide, dest, cancel - hold for three seconds...select detail information and settings...select unit check...select ecu info...select mem clear. I haven't tried this on mine and have limited resources at home. If this doesn't work let me know and I'll get the answer for you tomorrow. You won't lose the satellite sub unless the previous owner moves or cancel sub. If you bought it used from a Honda store they are supposed to clear personal info.

Last edited:
Thanks, will I need to enter a code such as when pulling the battery? I don't have the radio card and I wasn't able to locate a sticker with the radio ID or serial number. I know from for 04 accord I need this to get the code from the honda website. Hate to lose my free satellite too

Thanks, will I need to enter a code such as when pulling the battery? I don't have the radio card and I wasn't able to locate a sticker with the radio ID or serial number. I know from for 04 accord I need this to get the code from the honda website. Hate to lose my free satellite too
I'm sure that pulling the power will not reset any personal info in the navi unit.

Last edited:
Yeah, but pulling power requires the code for which I don't have. Car wasn't bought at a Honda dealer, but a Mazda place, they aren't any help.

Yeah, but pulling power requires the code for which I don't have. Car wasn't bought at a Honda dealer, but a Mazda place, they aren't any help.
Typo (corrected) on my part - don't pull the power! You may only have to hold the audio on/off for 2 seconds when it asks for a code in any event. Went and tried it on my car.. hold map/guide, DEST, and cancel for 3 seconds. The screen will change and follow the previous instructions and you'll be good to go.

Last edited:
Update, above directions were close, but no "select ecu info" under "unit check." See the pic......

After poking around, I found the right selection:
- Map/Guide, Dest, Cancel for 3 seconds (as previously stated)
- Select "Detail Information & Settings"
- Select "Functional Setup"
- Select "Clear All"

The unit reboots and clears back to factory, all user data gone including the items previously protected by pin codes.

** I can confirm satellite subscription not lost, yay.

Thanks again, you led me down the right path!

20130506132500.jpg

excellent to know. I'm sure this will come up again at some point.

Update, above directions were close, but no "select ecu info" under "unit check." See the pic......

After poking around, I found the right selection:
- Map/Guide, Dest, Cancel for 3 seconds (as previously stated)
- Select "Detail Information & Settings"
- Select "Functional Setup"
- Select "Clear All"

The unit reboots and clears back to factory, all user data gone including the items previously protected by pin codes.

** I can confirm satellite subscription not lost, yay.

Thanks again, you led me down the right path!

20130506132500.jpg
Glad you got it to work!!! I was trying the reset procedure for another model (Pilot I think) and was going from memory. But I realized that the Civic unit didn't have a "Menu" button. The Honda navi units are all similar, but differ a little here and there- but I'm glad you were able to figure it out!

Maybe this will lead to an answer to my question. I've searched around but never got a definite answer. I have a '13 and everything i try to search for under "place name", it either sends me hundreds or thousands of miles away, or it can't find that particular place when I know it's near by. Now, is this a problem with the stock navi that this reset can solve, or is it just the way this navi works?

Back