Official Ask a Photographer thread!

I bought two of these Hot shoes with the cord(link below).... The problem I'm having is trying to keep the cameras built in flash from popping up while using this system.
I'm guessing it might be related to the hot shoe on my camera(Nikon 3200), ....... It has 4 points of contact on both my male flash, and female camera shoe.......... while these hot shoes I have are single contact points......
So if that's the issue where can I buy two hot shoes for sync cords that work with my camera and flash?????

http://www.lumopro.com/product.php?id=59

He hasn't been on in over a year. @ethlar or @dentrecords may be of help in that dept. I've not done a lot with flash stuff. I know ethlar has numerous flash units.

I bought two of these Hot shoes with the cord(link below).... The problem I'm having is trying to keep the cameras built in flash from popping up while using this system.
I'm guessing it might be related to the hot shoe on my camera(Nikon 3200), ....... It has 4 points of contact on both my male flash, and female camera shoe.......... while these hot shoes I have are single contact points......
So if that's the issue where can I buy two hot shoes for sync cords that work with my camera and flash?????

those adapters you bought (or the ones in the link) use a cold shoe on the bottom. that means there are no active contact points connecting to the camera. if you look on the bottom of the adapter (the part that goes into the camera), i bet there are no pins there. because of that, the camera doesn't recognize that anything is in the hot shoe and that's why it keeps popping up the built in flash. as it states in the product description, those adapters are for adding "PC Syncro versatility to a flash the lacks a PC Sycro outlet." you wouldn't really use them on camera.

also, why are you using adapters if you're mounting the flash on camera? even if you're not using a nikon i-TTL flash, just about any standard hotshoe flash would work without an adapter.

Sounds like a plan, I was just trying to put it in a Photo Help Thread.
I would like the help of all these peeps on here that know what can help me.
I've tried(while waiting for help) to figure out a way to stop the(OC) flash,
but the speed flash doesn't go off either. I looked for other plugs/sockets that might
take a diff' cord ends, but it looks like the hot shoe on the camera is where all the
Contacts I need come from, and need the same type contacts at the flash end of the cord.
(I'm trying to stay with the cord system$).
Thx, @webby

Sounds like a plan, I was just trying to put it in a Photo Help Thread.
I would like the help of all these peeps on here that know what can help me.
I've tried(while waiting for help) to figure out a way to stop the(OC) flash,
but the speed flash doesn't go off either. I looked for other plugs/sockets that might
take a diff' cord ends, but it looks like the hot shoe on the camera is where all the
Contacts I need come from, and need the same type contacts at the flash end of the cord.
(I'm trying to stay with the cord system$).
Thx, @webby
not sure if you saw my post, but what kind of flash are you using? if it's not a nikon specific flash, all your flash needs is the center pin and it'll work with the nikon's hotshoe. no adapters are required to use most speedlites on the body itself

@hey_mikey ........... I'm trying to shot with the speed flash "OFF" camera, on a flash/umbrella stand. So I bought 2 shoes and a cord, that will connect the camera with the flash off to the side.
My cameras hot shoe has at least 4 female contact points, And my flash shoe has about the same..... But ...... these two cold shoes, or hot but simple shoes I bought, are not advanced/multi-contact enough to work correctly.
So I was hoping to hear from you or someone that does theirs this way, or knows how to wire it up might give me some help.

i shot weddings with both speedlites and monolights both on and off camera for 5 years, so i was just trying to help. anyway, the way you described your setup made it seem like you were trying to use them on camera.

regardless, those adapters need to be plugged into a PC-SYNC port on the camera to trigger a flash, and as far as i know, the d3200 doesn't have one. if you're using those adapters on the hotshoe of your camera, they won't work to trigger an external flash.

The flash is a "X it Photo" designed for Nikon iTTL SLRC ...... It works great While it's on my camera, the male/female connections both have a bunch of contacts on the plates.

I did a search ...

Also included on the Nikon D3200 is an external flash hot shoe, just behind the pop-up flash compartment, but there's no separate PC-style sync terminal as found on Nikon's higher-end cameras. (An optional sync terminal adapter for the hot shoe is however available.)
- not sure if that 2nd portion in bold helps.

I did a search ...

I'll see what I can find on that point, thx. Some of these things don't give me enough info to know if it works on mine, hence the 2 cold shoes(that looked hot to me, had contacts but only a single contact point per each, and I'm thinking mine needs the multi contacts on what ever I find that works.

I did a search ...

exactly. those adapters he posted won't work because they are COLD shoes. ie, they don't have the trigger or ground points to receive the signal from the camera. since the camera needs those contacts to realize that there's something in the shoe and not deploy the popup flash, i'm willing to bet that they won't have the contacts like this adapter has on the bottom.

if all you're trying to do is trigger the flash and you're gonna control all exposure settings (including flash output) manually, then all you need is a hotshoe with a trigger. if you want to use the iTTL capabilities, you need a more complex flash trigger system.

hot-shoe.jpg

the single contact is the only one you really need to trigger a flash since it has the "pop" signal on it. the other contacts are for the camera to talk to the flash and adjust it for you. Im surprised the on camera flash still wants to pop up with it in place, all of the Canons i have used have a leaf switch in the hotshoe that tells the camera something is in the shoe dont open the on camera flash in case its obstructed.

If you want to use your flash in manual mode and just want the camera to tell it to pop, a simple cord like that would work, with a hotshoe going into the camera.

If you want the camera to still manage the flash (depending on your off camera flash positioning this isnt always ideal) you want something like this since it has all of the contacts to run TTL metering

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/300478-REG/Nikon_4766_SC_29_TTL_Off_Camera_Shoe.html

the single contact is the only one you really need to trigger a flash since it has the "pop" signal on it. the other contacts are for the camera to talk to the flash and adjust it for you. Im surprised the on camera flash still wants to pop up with it in place, all of the Canons i have used have a leaf switch in the hotshoe that tells the camera something is in the shoe dont open the on camera flash in case its obstructed.

If you want to use your flash in manual mode and just want the camera to tell it to pop, a simple cord like that would work, with a hotshoe going into the camera.

If you want the camera to still manage the flash (depending on your off camera flash positioning this isnt always ideal) you want something like this since it has all of the contacts to run TTL metering

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/300478-REG/Nikon_4766_SC_29_TTL_Off_Camera_Shoe.html
if you look at the link to the cords he posted, those aren't pass-thru adapters. the trigger comes from the pc-sync port. the bottom or "foot" of the adapter has no pins and that's why the camera still pops the built-in flash. complete the circuit in the camera's hot shoe by using an adapter that has a trigger and ground in the "foot" and it won't use the built-in flash.

you might need to go into a menu setting and turn the flash off, or if your camera is set to green auto, set it to P instead, this eliminates the cameras ability to run the on camera flash whenever it feels like it. I dont know if the "no flash" mode will also prevent a hotshoe flash from firing but you could try to that too
Understanding-Shooting-Modes-of-DSLRs-Nikon-Modes.jpg

if you look at the link to the cords he posted, those aren't pass-thru adapters. the trigger comes from the pc-sync port. the bottom or "foot" of the adapter has no pins and that's why the camera still pops the built-in flash. complete the circuit in the camera's hot shoe by using an adapter that has a trigger and ground in the "foot" and it won't use the built-in flash.

i guess thats just a nikon thing then, i can put a plastic shoe in any of my canon camera hotshoes with no contacts and the on camera flash still wont try to pop up cause of that leaf switch

i didnt mention the fact that he had a cold shoe mounting pc-hotshoe cause others already did, i was just pointing out the one pin is really all you need for manual flash operation

Back