Bluetooth Choppiness/Whining, Voice Commands Not Recognized? We Found The Cause

does anyone have a DIY instructions on how to swap out the mic? My dealership tells me I have to leave it for the day to diagnose and replance ...some crap about how Honda won't let them order and replace parts without sending them a full diagnostic report. Argh ... who has time to leave the car for the day so I thought I would do it myself.

Have you tried brining the car and just showing them the issue like mentioned previously in the thread? It takes 5 min tops if you do it the way we mentioned here.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?onnebf

Well I have not recorded then deleted a speed dial tag (excellent tip BTW!!), but the service manager believing me isn't the problem ( I can always call him from the car and he will hear all the interference). The problem is Honda has to run it through a diagnostics to determine where the problem is (mic, bluetooth unit, etc) before they will do anything. They told me I would have to leave the car for about 3 hours. So I am pretty handy and would like to just replace the mic on my own to save time.

I don't know that they'd just give you the part. If it's something they're fixing under warranty,... I don't know that they'd hand the part off for you to install.

Well I have not recorded then deleted a speed dial tag (excellent tip BTW!!), but the service manager believing me isn't the problem ( I can always call him from the car and he will hear all the interference). The problem is Honda has to run it through a diagnostics to determine where the problem is (mic, bluetooth unit, etc) before they will do anything. They told me I would have to leave the car for about 3 hours. So I am pretty handy and would like to just replace the mic on my own to save time.
You could always have them check it at your next service interval since they will have had the car already. Honestly my dealership was simple. I brought the car in, no appointment they asked what I was there for and I told them the mic is messed up and I told them I could prove it so I did. They never took the car. They ordered the part that day and the car was fixed within hours once I brought the car back. By calling them without you being present there, they will likely blame it on your phone.

ok then I will switch to your dealer ... they sound much more accommodating ...LOL

I don't know that they'd just give you the part. If it's something they're fixing under warranty,... I don't know that they'd hand the part off for you to install.
probably not .... would look to order it via college Hills or something. ....BTW your new avitar is very interesting :)

ok then I will switch to your dealer ... they sound much more accommodating ...LOL
If you live in the NY Metro area then it would definitely be worth going to my dealer.

** Update the 1st post for others ** (instead of them having to search through the thread) :D

I know mine isn't recognizing voice commands... I just assumed I was doing something wrong :oops:

But maybe it wasn't me after all?
I had the microphone replace and it is still super noisy! Still getting many complaints like I am in a wind tunnel.

A summary of my experience so far with Honda -

I called Handsfree link support and they confirmed the issue of the very noisy connection. Took the car to the Honda dealer and they said the issue was the car microphone and it was replaced.

This AM I called my work phone from my iPhone with HFL and listened to the recording when I got to work. What I am hearing is the noise level go way up when there is silence! While talking it is not great, but better. The system appears to have an automatic volume control system which make the noise level go up during what should be 'silent' passages. As is, the system is really poor and I get complaints from people I talk to so much I have to switch to the iPhone directly. I am sure it is not the iPhone as music plays flawlessly via bluetooth and the iPhone Microphone is not used while talking with HFL.

I am interested in any other comments or fixes to this issue. By the way, I had a 2010 Acura TL with HFL and I never had any complaints making calls then.

Howard

P.S. - Voice commands record and work just fine.

Last edited:
Have you tried to get the sound recorded when you set a voice tag? If you can replicate it again, I would go back and ask if they could replace it and/or look into it further. They may have received a new mic and never tested it since it was "new" and didn't feel they needed to. A lazy mistake but it happens

I had the microphone replace and it is still super noisy! Still getting many complaints like I am in a wind tunnel.

A summary of my experience so far with Honda -

I called Handsfree link support and they confirmed the issue of the very noisy connection. Took the car to the Honda dealer and they said the issue was the car microphone and it was replaced.

This AM I called my work phone from my iPhone with HFL and listened to the recording when I got to work. What I am hearing is the noise level go way up when there is silence! While talking it is not great, but better. The system appears to have an automatic volume control system which make the noise level go up during what should be 'silent' passages. As is, the system is really poor and I get complaints from people I talk to so much I have to switch to the iPhone directly. I am sure it is not the iPhone as music plays flawlessly via bluetooth and the iPhone Microphone is not used while talking with HFL.

I am interested in any other comments or fixes to this issue. By the way, I had a 2010 Acura TL with HFL and I never had any complaints making calls then.

Howard

P.S. - Voice commands record and work just fine.
Have you tried with another phone?

Have you tried with another phone?
Yes. It is not the phone.

I also had Honda replace the complete HFL module (not the mic again) at the request of the HFL support group and it did not cure the problem.

I have noticed the noise level goes way up when there is no conversation on the iPhone side of things. It sounds like the HFL system has an automatic volume control. When talking is going on the background noise drops. What is super annoying is how it goes up and down in level and you get these odd transistions when talking starts and terminates.

This issue is very annoying to my friends and they asked that I not call them from my car using the HFL. So now I have to pull over and make my calls standing still. The HFL is essentially useless.

Howard

Thread necro!

I know I'm late to the party, but my 2012 is out of warranty and the microphone was acting up in same way. I took it apart and inside of the $150 black box (top in pic) is just a small pcb with connector and a simple microphone like any $5 aftermarket bluetooth mic (bottom in pic). I desoldered original and soldered on mic that I took out of a cheap aftermarket BT mic, and all is well. The original body is lightly glued together, so I broke it apart at the seam and super-glued it back up. Hope this helps somebody.
2018-12-14 16.24.16.jpg 2018-12-14 16.23.43.jpg

Back