Anyone else having battery issues?

MissE

New Brunswick, Canada
Vehicle Model
Civic Si w/Navi
Body Style
Coupe
Last year my car (2012 Si) wouldn't start in the winter for several days in a row, so the local Honda dealership replaced my battery under warranty. Now I am having issues all over again. This summer it died while I was at a drive-in movie and I had to get boosted. Then last week my mom was in an accident and I used my headlights to try and see how much damage there was (since it was night time), the headlights were on for maybe 8 minutes tops while the car was off, but when I went to start it again I already had a dead battery. And now today it won't start at all, while I am guessing that the extreme cold has something to do with it I also know many people with much older cars that started up no problem today.

Has anyone else been having issues with this? My local Honda dealership actually called me just the other day to book a battery test next week (even though I hadn't called and made any complaints yet regarding the issues with the new battery), so I figured if they were coming to me then other people must be having problems too.

@Freddiii has had like 3 replaced? Numerous others have had one or two replaced. Seems really odd so many people are having battery issues.

I had mine replaced in late august after a summer full of jump starts. This week the new one started acting up too n the dealer said it's also fried. I'm going to get the alternator checked next week. When u bring it in have them check the alternator. I think I read somewhere that a '13 Si had to get its alternator replaced by Honda cuz it wasn't charging the battery. I don't remember where tho.

I posted about this on here before, but here goes.........
China has just about all of our mined lead, we sold it to them...... now the lead plates are not of the quality they were 3/4 years ago.
Also ppl are of the mind that they can charge a batt' up to near full charge by running it in their car for 20/40 min......... That will only get you about a 80% charge........ What is going to be needed now and in the future is for us to buy tickle chargers, and bring the batt' up to 100% about once a month......
******* If you don't live where you can plug in a charger, than there are "Solar" powered chargers that plug into your cig'/power outlet in the dash that will maintain it for you(about the same price as most normal chargers). Just sit the solar cell on the dash exposed to the sun, that's it***********

http://www.harborfreight.com/15-watt-solar-battery-charger-68692.html

I'm on a local Quebec Civic forum and there are 4 or 5 members that have had problems starting their car in cold weather. They are guessing that the problems might be tied to the alternator. I also have had problems, but I think mine are due to a poor battery connection. 3 times I had no turnover so checked the battery and moved it about as much as I could and then I got a clean contact and the car started no problem. I do t think my problem is the same as all the others however. Theirs seems to be more of a dead battery situation.

My battery sucks, getting a yellow top tomorrow I don't want another regular battery. It's just the way it is with the. 9th

I haven't drive my car for couple days because of snow then yesterday when i tried to start it the battery dead so I have to jump start that thing.

Gages; monitors; alternators............ All are either to watch your battery die, and last but not least is a problem like a faulty alternator that is killing them, but none of them is getting your car started in the morning.............. Except a battery charger........

If it's a alternator problem, we still need it to "start" while we wait for them to fix/find the problem, in the mean time, take action buy and use a charger.

I can't believe the lack of response to this, it's all about every other gadget that's not going to do anything but show you it's dead.
What good is a gage where it say's it's good(80%), then leave your lights on for 5-10 min and it's dead?
Fully charging a battery to 100% keeps the internal build up on the plates from forming and allows the battery to put up with more use while the engine is not running and will run down slower.

But I wish you all a Merry Christmas, no matter what you choose to do or not do......:santa:

Reactions: Nix
What good is a gage where it say's it's good(80%), then leave your lights on for 5-10 min and it's dead?

A like my gage because it indicates the condition of my battery, so I don't drive somewhere else for it to die. It's much easier and less expensive to deal with an issue from the comfort of my garage at home.

I personally use several battery tenders in my garage, but not everybody has a garage.

Gages; monitors; alternators............ All are either to watch your battery die, and last but not least is a problem like a faulty alternator that is killing them, but none of them is getting your car started in the morning.............. Except a battery charger........

If it's a alternator problem, we still need it to "start" while we wait for them to fix/find the problem, in the mean time, take action buy and use a charger.

I can't believe the lack of response to this, it's all about every other gadget that's not going to do anything but show you it's dead.
Fully charging a battery to 100% keeps the internal build up on the plates from forming and allows the battery to put up with more use while the engine is not running and will run down slower.

But I wish you all a Merry Christmas, no matter what you choose to do or not do......:santa:

I will get a battery charger. But I don't have a garage n lately it's only sunny out like 2 days out of the week so I don't kno how much a solar powered one can help me. But I will try it. My only issue is that my brothers car is Hyundai and his battery has never died. Even after leaving radio on for good 20 min it cranks right up. This is what gives me pause cuz if every battery has shitty lead then everyone I know should have this issue.

I will get a battery charger. But I don't have a garage n lately it's only sunny out like 2 days out of the week so I don't kno how much a solar powered one can help me. But I will try it. My only issue is that my brothers car is Hyundai and his battery has never died. Even after leaving radio on for good 20 min it cranks right up. This is what gives me pause cuz if every battery has shitty lead then everyone I know should have this issue.

Google reviews about solar chargers.... I put a link about how they work well in cloudy environments(must have been breaching some rule).
I as well buy American(EH?) quality batt's(can't think of their name, but it looks like a 6-pack).
It does look like there's a problem with some of our Civics with batt's dyeing. If all we have to do is drive into the dealer say fix it, and drive away with a system that will give us at least 4 to 6 years trouble free life(all my cars/mc have given me that much time, and that's living in Denver for 30 years). The 6-packs have been giving 6 to 8 years trouble free life.

It could be that a certain "lot" of batt's were a bad lot......... or the same goes for alternators bad lots. But even if we buy good batt's, doesn't mean the car companies are going to give us the best batt' either.
So my suggestion is to buy a quality batt' and a solar charger, and if something goes wrong you'll know it's not the batt", it'll be a bad ground, or something like alt' that will need an electric Guru to find.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/products/?gclid=CPK7tvf6srsCFag7OgodB1QAXg

I parked my car for the last few weeks while I put my truck on the road and put some shakedown miles on it. When I went to start the car last night ( it's parked in my brother's place 65 miles from here ) it was dead... battery is toast. 3 1/2 weeks or thereabouts and the battery was dead, but I also forgot my bluetooth adapter plugged into the ALDL port as well. D'OH!

Have to pick up a new group 51R tomorrow and drive down to swap out vehicles. Sucks, but stuff happens.

It could be that a certain "lot" of batt's were a bad lot......... or the same goes for alternators bad lots. But even if we buy good batt's, doesn't mean the car companies are going to give us the best batt' either.
So my suggestion is to buy a quality batt' and a solar charger, and if something goes wrong you'll know it's not the batt", it'll be a bad ground, or something like alt' that will need an electric Guru to find.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/products/?gclid=CPK7tvf6srsCFag7OgodB1QAXg
Yea I'm def not buying one from honda lol. Maybe if it's for free then ok. I also will get one with more cranks.

Back