VSA and Power steering light on

hotshot

As the rest of the country is well aware, Atlanta was completely and utterly paralyzed last night. I braved the ice this morning, and after I slid in a few spots, my power steering light and VSA lights came on and stayed on until I left my car in a parking lot 10 minutes from my house.

I've never had the power steering light come on on mine, so I can't comment on that. As for the VSA light, is it possible that you shut it off? I've shut mine off a few times because of the snow and the light will stay on until the either I turn it back on or I shut the car off.

If you have any doubt at all, or if it happens again, a trip to the dealer may be your best bet.

What I meant was that if you shut the VSA off, the light will stay lit until you turn it back on or you shut the car off.

you need to get it over to honda to have it looked at -

"EPS indicator" = power steering

from the manual:

If the EPS Indicator Comes On
■ Reasons for the indicator to come on
• Comes on when there is a problem with EPS.
• If you depress the accelerator pedal repeatedly to increase the engine speed while the engine is idling, the indicator comes on, and sometimes the steering wheel becomes harder to operate.

■ What to do when the indicator comes on
Stop the vehicle in a safe place and restart the engine.
If the indicator comes on and stays on, immediately have your vehicle inspected by a dealer.

If you repeatedly turn the steering wheel at an extremely low speed, or hold the steering wheel on the full left or right position for a while, the system heats up. The system goes into a protective mode, and limits its performance. The steering wheel becomes harder and harder to operate. Once the system cools down, EPS is restored. Repeated operation under these conditions can eventually damage the system.

you need to get it over to honda to have it looked at -

If you repeatedly turn the steering wheel at an extremely low speed, or hold the steering wheel on the full left or right position for a while, the system heats up. The system goes into a protective mode, and limits its performance. The steering wheel becomes harder and harder to operate. Once the system cools down, EPS is restored. Repeated operation under these conditions can eventually damage the system.
Yeah. That's pretty much what happend. Over corrected to avoid sliding and my dash Lit up like a Christmas tree. Lol

The VSA light is on and it's staying on. It won't let me turn it on or off by the button at all and the message on my iMid says to have the VSA system checked.

I dropped my car off this morning at Honda to have it looked at, along with another with a noise in the transmission. Might take a couple days since there weren't too many techs there today.

Dealer called back today, Turns out it just needed a software update.

What particular update did you get? my dealer says there are several. I have an issue with voltage regulation.

What particular update did you get? my dealer says there are several. I have an issue with voltage regulation.
he hasn't been online since dec 2014. Does the dealership have your car now? Are they troubleshooting/fixing it?

Thank you webby. No they do not have it yet, i literally just replaced my alternator on my lunch break today and my EPS issue persists. I am reading about Honda's ELD technology and how it can play a role in this. I have an issue with dealerships holding me hostage with their "knowledge" and my ignorance. So i make every effort not to be ignorant. Why can't cars be simple, ya know, like they use to be?

Last edited:
Thank you webby. No they do not have it yet, i literally just replaced my alternator on my lunch break today and my EPS issue persists. I am reading about Honda's ELD technology and how it can play a role in this. I have an issue with dealerships holding me hostage with their "knowledge" and my ignorance. So i make every effort not to be ignorant. Why can't cars be simple, ya know, like they use to be?
are you out of warranty?

I honestly never thought an EPS would reduce assist due to overheating. Makes sense but I couldn't imagine that much strain on it even on track days. I know I give my EPS hell lol

Today mine came on. Vsa and emissions, rainy day, steering went off on the imid but vsa is still on. Any ideas?

Today mine came on. Vsa and emissions, rainy day, steering went off on the imid but vsa is still on. Any ideas?
Sounds like the alternator. My alternator went out a while back and I lost power steering, lights, Imid, and my car struggled. After that my car would not start and my dash would just flicker really fast when I turned the key over.

As webby said. The power steering light is not normal. I've never seen it on mine.
I have 50,000 miles on my 2013 civic LX and same thing I have never had my power steering light come on for the electronic power steering so I agree with everyone else take it to a certified Honda dealer and have a service technician take a look at it if you don’t have a warranty then obviously it is going to probably be expensive anything to do with electronic power assisted steering is usually pretty pricey also l there is usually $120 diagnostic fee for them to find out what the problem is if you pay for it to get fixed they waive that fee if you do not do you leave with the same problem and pay them $120 to still leave with that same exact problem so do your research

Back