DIY Wiring a GPS to Fusebox

Pauly99to17

Ville de Quebec
Vehicle Model
2012 LX
Body Style
Dyno Blue Pearl Sedan (FB2)
Here's a very simple DIY for those of us without the built in Navi and want to hide our GPS wires.
Should take you about 1 hour from start to finish.

Needed Materials

A fuse tap (About $4.00)
You will also need a 15A fuse to put in the bottom slot.

A cigarette lighter female plug (About $5.00)

A ring terminal for the ground wire

gps1.jpg

Electrical tape Or you could solder and put shrink wrap for even stronger connections
Zip ties

Tools

Wire strippers
Socket set with long extension is ideal Or Long vice Grips (to take off ground bolt)

So, what we're doing is just hooking up an extra plug to the fuse box that will be hidden underneath the bottom panel.

Here is a picture of my test.
gps2.sized.jpg

1) Cut off the unneeded length of cigarette female plug cable. Note: *Leave the ground wire longer so that it will reach the ground bolt behind the fuse box. You will see in the picture that I did not do this properly because I mixed up the wires so had to add extra length.

2) Strip the ends of these wires so they can be easily attached

3) Attach Power wire to the Fuse tap

4) Attach ground wire to the ring terminal.

5) Put a 15A fuse into the bottom of the fuse tap. Plug fuse tap into slot #36. This is an empty slot
Note: You could use another slot, but I like this one because your GPS will power up when you start the car and turn off as soon as you shut off your car.
gps3.jpg

This is where fuse #36 is located and you can see the fuse tap already plugged in.
gps4.jpg

6) Run the ground wire to the back of the fuse box and ground the ring terminal here. Note: this ground bolt is a bbitch to get at. I used zip ties to get previously installed wires out of the way before trying to get in there and loosening the bolt. I tried many tools to get at that bolt but many slipped off or there wasn't enough space to turn them. If you have a long extension for a socket set that would be ideal. I ended up using long vice grips.

Ground bolt is located behind the fuse box on the side wall.
gps5.jpg

8) Zip tie the plug somewhere out of site under the panel.
gps6.jpg

9) Hide your wires, plug in your GPS and enjoy your clean look.

gps7.sized.jpg

gps8.sized.jpg

gps9.jpg

Last edited:
Another great diy pauly. I may have to attempt a similar mod myself. Always nice to hide loose wiring flopping around the dash

Just out of curiosity, the fuse tap and the female end of a cig lighter, can we pick this stuff up locally in the states? If so, where would a good place to start?

Just out of curiosity, the fuse tap and the female end of a cig lighter, can we pick this stuff up locally in the states? If so, where would a good place to start?
Ya, very easy to find. Just need to find a good electronics store.

Thanks Pauly, looks like I'm goin on an adventure to Radio Shack tomorrow :guitar:If I get my door piping in tomorrow I'll go ahead and install it all with the gps and let you guys know how it went

One more question for you sir: did you remove any dash panels or such to hide that cord? Or did you just sorta tack it behind the seal there??

No not necessary to take any dash apart. The wire us just tucked behind the black rubber strip.

works like a charm man, super simple and easy. Except for that bolt, talk about twisting your back to reach that thing lol Thanks again for the DIY Pauly

works like a charm man, super simple and easy. Except for that bolt, talk about twisting your back to reach that thing lol Thanks again for the DIY Pauly
Yes, that bolt is not easy to get to. It is so much easier if you have a 8" ratchet extension.

Sorry to necro but I found this thread very useful but needed a little more info. The type of fuse is a low profile mini fuse. I originally purchased the wrong type of add a circuit. With a low profile mini fuse, it might not fight in some places like slot 36 because of clearance from other nearby fuses. I used spot 23 and if fit fine and operates on correct ignition positions. I believe if you use a normal mini fuse you can use slot 36. For the crimp connector for black wire I would recommend using a 1/4 inch fork terminal. With a ring connector it should be placed between the bolt head and washer but you cant take washer off so you are forced to put it under the washer. If you place ring connector under the washer it wont sit flush and make as good of a connection. With a fork terminal you can place between washer and head and you can torque bolt down flush all the way as it should be. Or just take your ring terminal and cut the tip off to make a fork terminal.

I used this guide to wire in two 12v accessory ports on one add a circuit to wire in my gps and my new behind rear view mirror dash cam. For dash cam the wire can easily be pushed between front glass and headboard with no problems.

Thanks big time to the OP.

Last edited:
Back