2011 Frankfurt - Honda CEO Says NSX Successor is a go

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
2011 Frankfurt: Not Dead After All? Honda CEO Says NSX Successor is Go

Honda_NSX_Super_GT_JGTC_623x389.jpg

Honda’s NSX successor may yet live, as Honda CEO Takanobu Ito announced at the 2011 Frankfurt Motor Show that the Japanese automaker is beginning work on a new sports car. Instead of focusing on outright speed and power, Ito instead says he intends to build a car around power-to-weight ratio – which will be dramatic, according to Autocar.

Though the original NSX, sold under the Acura brand in the U.S., was powerful in its day, Ito says that his favorite part of developing that car was the work he did specifically with the aluminum body. “I really enjoyed that experience, and learned so much, so it is my wish that Honda engineers have the experience of developing a sports car like the NSX in [the] future,” Ito said in a press conference. “Within Honda, our engineers are already looking at developing such a car.”

Though Ito wouldn’t comment on when this future sports car would make it to production, he did emphasize that it would be a philosophically different car from the NSX, a mid-engine two-seater that weighed just under 3000 lbs. and boasted 290 hp by the end of its production run.

“You can’t depend on a high power output to call a car sporty anymore,” Ito said. “The original NSX was about high power but also good driving performance, and today power-to-weight is what we have to focus on.”
Honda originally planned to launch an NSX successor by 2010, but those ambitions were cut short in 2008 by former CEO Takeo Fukui, who cited the global economic crisis and the increasingly progressive environmental position of Honda as reasons for killing development of the new performance car.

Ito is all for building a new sports car, as long as it can uphold Honda’s eco-friendly image. “…When we develop our new sports car, we don’t want to copy Ferrari for power, but to also chase efficiency as well,” he said.

Though the blending of efficiency and sportiness has produced mixed results for Honda, like the lukewarm response garnered by its CR-Z hybrid hatchback, Ito continued, “Our recent efforts have been focused on fuel efficiency, and that perhaps gives the impression Honda is behind with pushing the brand image of sportiness, but let me assure you that is not the case…we will address that impression with our new generation of cars.”

Time to go out and buy a new piggy bank....

Sounds exciting... except the 290 HP is way too low. IMO even 390 HP would be barely acceptable.

At least this is a glimmer of hope.

I think it said that the NSX was 290hp at the end of the production and that the new car would be philosophically different. Hopefully meaning more HP....

I'm looking forward to this, but putting 290hp on it makes Honda seem like competition is no longer part of their factor. The old NSX's had around 270-290hp...

I'm looking forward to this, but putting 290hp on it makes Honda seem like competition is no longer part of their factor. The old NSX's had around 270-290hp...

"IIto instead says he intends to build a car around power-to-weight ratio – which will be dramatic" Power to Weight is pretty important, 290WHP on a light car can equal fast

I believe the article was written somewhat confusing. I think they're saying what the NSX WAS - a 290hp by the end of production, and under 3k pounds.

He makes no claims to the NEW hp figures. Just the fact that they're focusing on power to weight ratios

I believe the article was written somewhat confusing. I think they're saying what the NSX WAS - a 290hp by the end of production, and under 3k pounds.

He makes no claims to the NEW hp figures. Just the fact that they're focusing on power to weight ratios

Sorry, I misread it. Hopefully the new NSX would be a good contender against the big dogs.

no need to be sorry. I wasn't 100% when I read it either

Thank god! I've been saying it for a while now, Honda needs a viable contender in the sports dept. The Si is great, but there has got to be some more to come , even the Accord V6 HFP Ltd. was a nice car, but not held in the same regard as an s-2000 or to a further extent the NSX.

I know everyone's excited about the news, but honestly, this doesn't mean squat really. Honda could just as well end up doing the exact same thing they did with their first attempt at the NSX successor -- bail out at the last minute / decide the market isn't suitable for them. Lets not get our hopes up until they announce production plans.

If Honda does stick with the $90k 290hp car, it won't be close to being worth it.

Honda needs to pull a Nissan and make an awesome overall sports car.

At first, people wouldn't ever think about buying a 90k Nissan, but look how well the GTR is selling. Why? Because it destroys almost all it's competition with 2x the price tag.

If this NSX can compete with the GTR, then, and only then, could I see people buying a 90k car with a Honda badge.

Honda/Acura needs a halo car. Heck, even Ford is thinking about another version of the Ford GT. I was just talking to a Ford insider who said that the Ford GT will be a hybrid that will be something akin to the Porsche 918. I would assume Honda would do the same. I just can't see them coming out with a GT-R contender as that is philosophically against everything corporate Honda stands for today. I could see a twin turbo V6 Hybrid that is based on a lightweight platform. The mantra that many companies are espousing is "lightweight". Extensive use of aluminum and composites should hopefully trim 500 pounds or more off many platforms. Imagine a 400 hp, low emissions, high fuel economy NSX that weighs less than 3,000 pounds. That would be a recipe for fun.

Back