Bolt On Si -- no tuning vs tuning comparison

I am getting ready to order my PRL intake, and full-race downpipe to go with my invidia n1. Am going to get fp from @VitViper too...if y'all want I can get some dyno numbers on it for you. I expect to be in the 2xx's somewhere I hope.

I am getting ready to order my PRL intake, and full-race downpipe to go with my invidia n1. Am going to get fp from @VitViper too...if y'all want I can get some dyno numbers on it for you. I expect to be in the 2xx's somewhere I hope.

Are you getting the full kit with the battery relocation?

Are you getting the full kit with the battery relocation?

I actually have not decided between that or the short ram. Is there a big difference in the two? Because for the short ram I don't believe there is battery relocation. But what I haven't looked is if the short ram loses hp.

er ="Dennis Rockholt, post: 283106, member: 57588"]I actually have not decided between that or the short ram. Is there a big difference in the two? Because for the short ram I don't believe there is battery relocation. But what I haven't looked is if the short ram loses hp.[/quote]

The short ram might hurt from heat soak the full kit takes the filter down and away from the heat of the motor . Do you plan on using the stock manifold and TB?

er ="Dennis Rockholt, post: 283106, member: 57588"]I actually have not decided between that or the short ram. Is there a big difference in the two? Because for the short ram I don't believe there is battery relocation. But what I haven't looked is if the short ram loses hp.

I do plan on keeping the stock manifold. But though about maybe spacing out the TB...I saw some that had issues with the bigger throttle bodies being used. I just looked though, and the PRL short ram is only for RBC users so the full PRL is my only option from them...but their install looks so involved I may just get a takeda or other brand. Since I will be tuned, I am sure I will see gains from any intake I would think....

I do plan on keeping the stock manifold. But though about maybe spacing out the TB...I saw some that had issues with the bigger throttle bodies being used. I just looked though, and the PRL short ram is only for RBC users so the full PRL is my only option from them...but their install looks so involved I may just get a takeda or other brand. Since I will be tuned, I am sure I will see gains from any intake I would think....

According to Vit, the only intake that actually results in gains is the PRL CAI.

According to Vit, the only intake that actually results in gains is the PRL CAI.

I have seen that, was he talking without tune? Thats the impression I got....but I probably just read it wrong. I thought with tune other intakes did show gains. The only thing with the PRL intake is I am worried the install may be a little too much for me to handle is all.

I have seen that, was he talking without tune? Thats the impression I got....but I probably just read it wrong. I thought with tune other intakes did show gains. The only thing with the PRL intake is I am worried the install may be a little too much for me to handle is all.

It just sounds difficult, but shouldn't be all that bad if you are ok with minor mechanical work. I have already replaced my clutch line which wasn't very difficult. Only problem could be getting a nut to release.

It just sounds difficult, but shouldn't be all that bad if you are ok with minor mechanical work. I have already replaced my clutch line which wasn't very difficult. Only problem could be getting a nut to release.

Agreed. I will talk to vit before I order my fp (have already some) and see what he might recommend I do... its looking like im roughly 3 weeks out from ordering everything, as well as some suspension stuff too.

On the subject of intakes -- the cars with SRI's and bad intakes, barely break 190 on our dynapack. Stock intake is around 195-197. A "good" aftermarket intake has marginal gains over that.

@VitViper

I am quite interested in getting FlashPro with a tune from you as I modify my Daily Driven '13 Si Sedan. I'll be buying parts in series as I get payed... Is there anyway to get a 100% Stock Calibration, (FP Reflash Refined) or will I need to buy a U-Tune? I know the Stock Reflash leaves alot to be desired and I'm sure a stock tune is probably your most commonly asked for.

List of future parts include;
Skunk2 CAI,
RV6 Header/DP w/HF Cat,
Invidia Q300 Cat-Back,
ZDX Big Bore TB,
Unorthodox Pulley Set,
I'll wait for Skunk2 to develop the Intake Manifold.

My Concerns are equal Performance Gains, and Fuel Economy Gains. Any recommendations?

Last edited:
@VitViper

I am quite interested in getting FlashPro with a tune from you as I modify my Daily Driven '13 Si Sedan. I'll be buying parts in series as I get payed... Is there anyway to get a 100% Stock Calibration, (FP Reflash Refined) or will I need to buy a U-Tune? I know the Stock Reflash leaves alot to be desired and I'm sure a stock tune is probably your most commonly asked for.

List of future parts include;
Skunk2 CAI,
RV6 Header/DP w/HF Cat,
Invidia Q300 Cat-Back,
ZDX Big Bore TB,
Unorthodox Pulley Set,
I'll wait for Skunk2 to develop the Intake Manifold.

My Concerns are equal Performance Gains, and Fuel Economy Gains. Any recommendations?

As far as performance goes Ultimate racing or Full race 3in DP and exhaust are the way to go however low end day to day driving might suffer as far as mpg goes.

This maybe hear-say, from what I've read going too large of DP/Exhaust 1/2"+ past stock, will result in a loss of power on N/A Cars. Also, I'm looking at the Q300/ RV6 Header Combo for Legality (Catted Option), and noise (I don't want to sound like a Jack*** driving around). Thoughts? Thanks for the input btw.

I love my Full-race downpipe and invidia exhaust. It is GREAT. I have left the airbox stock, excpet a KN drop-in, and with a vit-tune the car is completely different from how it was stock. I love the response and pickup when hitting the gas just right

Ok, I don't really get how the k&n could hurt the power. The stock air collector still brings cooler air up to the k&n filter which is larger and the pipe leading to the TB is slight straighter and larger. I have a 14si so it might be different for me but I felt I had a little better throttle response. I do not have a tune. Could someone tell how it is worse? I can understand minimal gains or none. But worse? Something doesn't add up

It really only will hurt performance when not tuned with flash pro. The way I understand it the stock ecu map will react to the increased airflow by dialing back timing. Then you have hotter air because the filter is open and not enclosed like stock. Even with the heat shield intake air temps will be a lot higher. Pretty sure it gives a little increase with the base tune from hondata and even more with custom tuning as the increase in flow will out weigh the increase in intake air temps.

and who the hell wants doo doo power? :thumbsdown:

Please forgive my ignorance on this. I am still learning. Doesn't your ECU learn how you drive? I think people don't see any gains because they are bolting on to an engine that was driven a certain way etc. and needs to re learn the new parts. The ECU learns air inlet and fuel inlet (not how high you rev the engine etc or how hard you drive it) but there are some direct connections.

Why does K&N Guarantee 10-14 HP on their intake or they let you keep it for free? They do make you pre dyno and post dyno and that could defer some people but really seems like a stretch as they could be sued for false advertising and that would be a bigger issue.

I think if you bolt on a engine that has 20,000+ Miles your ECU will take far longer to re learn air flow etc. That is why you get misfires etc. I bolted on my K&N intake at 2200 miles and left the battery unplugged for a day. The biggest difference I feel is a much more throaty exhaust that is otherwise stock. But there could be more power.

There are also ways to manipulate your ECU without actually "tuning" it. You can have your cooling fans on all the time and by default helps the engine run cooler. There are other "tuning" things you can do without flashing your ECU if I am not mistaken.

Granted I understand that flashpro is great (at least what I've read) and I may eventually buy a flash for my car and a tune... but isn't that why we don't see bolt ons have bigger yields? Granted I have read a ton that most short rams and even CAI do nothing for performance.... which makes me wonder why is there such a huge market for them if they do nothing?

Back