Strut or(and) Shock?

zhongyang3

Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
The dealership recommended that I replace the strut assembly because the nut at the top of my shock keeps slipping off, which means the threading is bad (I'm getting new sets tomorrow). If you look at the pics I took, you can tell that the bad side leans a bit and the good side is centered and the nut is all the way down. What could be causing this? And could my other suspension pieces be affected(ball joint, camber)? Would a replacement from a General retailer like AutoZone or Napa have decent replacement parts?

Back story: I hit a pothole on the front passenger side.

Good strut on top
Bad on bottom

uploadfromtaptalk1426211419051.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1426211454245.jpg

Did you tell the dealership you hit a pothole?

Yes. They wanted me to replace the strut assembly after the diagnostic which I hope means no other parts were damaged. Which leads me to wonder if a part from AutoZone is a decent replacement (I'm getting both sides and is on a budget).

I don't see a need to get both sides if you only damaged one of them. You can get an OEM replacement online for about $100 if you look around. Or you could post on the forums that you are looking for a set. I'd imagine there are some people that still have theirs after putting coilovers on.

If you are not able swap them out yourself, labor can get a bit pricey on struts.

Check the For Sale section.....two member selling fronts and rears for $200 or less....

I don't see a need to get both sides if you only damaged one of them. You can get an OEM replacement online for about $100 if you look around. Or you could post on the forums that you are looking for a set. I'd imagine there are some people that still have theirs after putting coilovers on.

If you are not able swap them out yourself, labor can get a bit pricey on struts.
If i get coilovers would i need new struts? Cause i have lowering springs on right now and was told struts would b a good idea.

It would replace your strut/shock/springs you have on the car currently.

Thanks everyone. This is why it was rattling. The threading on my passenger shock is gone. And the mount is rounded out too. Got new ones coming. uploadfromtaptalk1426278950574.jpg

I put the new mount on with two bolts on top to hold the bottom one down since the threading was still good up top.

I want to confirm from another post that the 2011 shock mount works for 2012. Napa didn't have 9th gen so I got 8th gen one.

Back