Pauly's "You're my boy Blue!"

I have 2 amps. A 4 channel amp for the speakers and 1 amp for the subwoofer. The amps run on different levels so need different fuses.
Oh, gotcha. It's been a long time since I've installed a system in my car. I always did one large fuse that was rated to cover all amps/crossovers combined by the battery, ran that cable to a distribution block then inline fuses (when necessary) to each of the individual amps and crossovers. I miss my system.

Well, its my first time installing one so I'm certainly no expert. Your way sounds like a good option too.

You could also get a fused distribution block. 1 larger power cable to the battery that splits at the distribution block with maxi fuses to smaller gauge power wires. But 2 dedicated power wires should be fine

I have been doing some reading about sound insulation. I wanted to find a cheaper alternative to Dynamat. I read about a number of people using an asphalt based "Peel ansd Seal" type of product but I didn't want to have the smell or possible carcinogens in my car so I ruled those products out. I ended up getting Reflectix which is a product for insulating ducts. It's really inexpensive ($20). I wanted to get another product which I read good things about and Sounds better that what I got, but it's unavailable here and I needed. Something now. Home Depot has it (only in the US though). It's called Frost King Duct insulation.

This is what what I got

image.jpg

What I wanted, but not available

image.jpg

I have been doing some reading about sound insulation. I wanted to find a cheaper alternative to Dynamat. I read about a number of people using an asphalt based "Peel ansd Seal" type of product but I didn't want to have the smell or possible carcinogens in my car so I ruled those products out. I ended up getting Reflectix which is a product for insulating ducts. It's really inexpensive ($20). I wanted to get another product which I read good things about and Sounds better that what I got, but it's unavailable here and I needed. Something now. Home Depot has it (only in the US though). It's called Frost King Duct insulation.

This is what what I got

View attachment 48888

What I wanted, but not available

View attachment 48889
In for updates!!! I used GTmat Ultra as a less expensive product than DynaMat but that duct insulation is still about 1/6 the cost (depending on surface area)

Productive day. :)
Front speakers installed. Pictures for later reference. Lots of splicing with the 2 extra wires in each door that supplied door control lights and door ambient light. All that's left now is to hook up the power cables and hook all the wires into the amps and connect the sub. For the moment I have the front speaker signals spliced into the rear speaker signal. Already sounds a little better even with that terrible rear signal and non amplified. I can't get over how cheap the stock speakers are.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Right on bud! Looks like you've been busy. This is a must do at some point for everyone cause like you said, the stock gear sucks!

The only way I've found to get the stock system to sound anything ok is putting the sub to max, fading a few clicks to the rear to tone down the fronts a smidge and only use bluetooth with the phone. For whatever reason bluetooth has better output signals that will actually give an almost proper base thump and fullness of sound.

System is installed. So happy with the results. The install went fairly smoothly although it was a long process. I thought that I wouldn't need a remote wire because I used the high level inputs. Turns out I needed one.

I used the ground bolt right behind the seat. I sanded the paint off under the bracket. Works like a charm and is well situated. All that is left is the cable management.

image.jpg

image.jpg

did you take pics with the sound deadening installed?
No, I haven't done the trunk yet. You can see a little of it in a picture above where I put as much as I could inside the door of the speaker hole opening.

Back