Cold air intake? Or short ram intake? Which would be better?

Keenani

Vehicle Model
Civic si
Body Style
Sedan
I recently bought a 2013 si wanna start doing mods, wanted to start off simple with an intake as the first mod, just don't know which would be more beneficial a cold air intake or a short ram intake

prl cold air intake was supposedly one of the few if not the only intake showing any gains. prl short ram was the other according to vitviper tuning.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

If you are not going to get the PRL intake then leave the stock intake on the car. It works better than any of the aftermarket intakes other than the ones from PRL. Those intakes however do require you to purchase Hondata Flashpro to function correctly. The car will not run with one of those intakes without it.

Do not waste your money on an intake if you want more power. It will not happen and several of the aftermarket ones function worse than the stock air box.

If you just want a fun project and to muck around with your car, look into getting a down pipe on the exhaust side. Install is a bit more involved but most people have had more gains on the exhaust than the intake.

@squiggy is the guy to ask.

I added the new Injen 3.5 inch CAI and it added more for me. Vit even noticed when he was tuning my car. It was responsible for 8-10 more HP to get me in the 200 club. PRL is nice too! I was originally going to go PRL, but then I got a killer deal on the Injen on this site. Good luck!

Ah yes, I should have specified, any 3.5" or larger style intake is what you should look at. I know PRL is the main one talked about but I bet the larger diameter Injen works well too.

and know that the 3.5" intakes require flashpro/tune. The car will not run without it

and know that the 3.5" intakes require flashpro/tune. The car will not run without it

Webby, I am going to install a PRL CAI and downpipe tomorrow. I have hondata on standby too, but I don't have a tune yet nor have I used it yet. After my install, what should I do? Based on what you're saying, my car won't run... As in won't be able to drive it?

There should be a base calibration available that you could load temporarily. You should get a "real" tune asap though.

@squiggy might be more knowledgeable on which base map to run in the meantme.

I used a basemap specific for the parts from Vit. There are no preloaded maps for a 3.5" intake.

I used a basemap specific for the parts from Vit. There are no preloaded maps for a 3.5" intake.

But will my car be driveable? Like mentioned, I have the hondata flash pro unit. But once I pay vit for the tune I'm guessing it will be a while before he gives me an actual tune...

I threw on my PRL short ram the other night with no FP just for a visual and curiosity on sound and NO I did not keep it on or run it long. Sounds mean and looks great but I plugged in my scan tool to read the PID data as I ran the car so I could understand how bad the car actually ran. Yea don't ever run a 3.5" with no tune if you care for your car. Fuel trims almost 50% rich and my cat went from 400 to 1200F in just over a minute burning all the extra fuel. You WILL cause damage with no tune. Just thought I'd share that

I threw on my PRL short ram the other night with no FP just for a visual and curiosity on sound and NO I did not keep it on or run it long. Sounds mean and looks great but I plugged in my scan tool to read the PID data as I ran the car so I could understand how bad the car actually ran. Yea don't ever run a 3.5" with no tune if you care for your car. Fuel trims almost 50% rich and my cat went from 400 to 1200F in just over a minute burning all the extra fuel. You WILL cause damage with no tune. Just thought I'd share that

Thank you for proving some concrete data on what happens. This is excellent to know.

Hey, welcome to the forum!

If you are not going to get the PRL intake then leave the stock intake on the car. It works better than any of the aftermarket intakes other than the ones from PRL. Those intakes however do require you to purchase Hondata Flashpro to function correctly. The car will not run with one of those intakes without it.

Do not waste your money on an intake if you want more power. It will not happen and several of the aftermarket ones function worse than the stock air box.

If you just want a fun project and to muck around with your car, look into getting a down pipe on the exhaust side. Install is a bit more involved but most people have had more gains on the exhaust than the intake.

@squiggy is the guy to ask.
I bought the skunk2 CAI and hate it my car feels slower with it. And regret not buying the PRL. But I guess live a learn right.

Just got this, we'll see how it works, Sounds great but haven't driven it yet(knee surgery) but sounds throaty hitting the throttle.12341344_173092419711776_502147048085563355_n.jpg

Back