Clutch Noise

Your warranty is probably only good with the company you bought the vehicle from. Contact the dealer and find out the details on your warranty. More than likely you'll have to go to them but track down the tsb to bring with and show them. I gotta access All-Data at work and try to print it so I can post it here for everyone.

Thank you and pardon my ignorance, I've heard talk about tsb but I'm not entirely sure what it is or where I can find it and would it help me present my case at the dealership. I suppose there would need to be a recall in order for me to go to a Honda dealership which doesn't look like its going to happen.

the only service bulletin I see on the clutch -

SUMMARY:

HONDA: WHEN ACCELERATING FROM A STOP, IN SOME VEHICLES, NOISE IS HEARD FROM CLUTCH WHILE ENGAGED IN 1ST GEAR, AND SOUNDS LIKE A SQUEAKING, OR GROANING, OR GRINDING, RUBBING OR METALLIC. MODEL 2012 CIVIC. *PE

Service Bulletin No.: SB-10-11
NHTSA ID Number: 10053784

Talked to my friend at the dealership and I have to get with him on Monday to set a time to bring the car in.

Prob going to drive it around to replicate the sound and go from there. He checked for TSB under a 2015 Si but nothing came up. Might have to show him this thread.

Prob going to drive it around to replicate the sound and go from there. He checked for TSB under a 2015 Si but nothing came up. Might have to show him this thread.
I think the TSB is only for the 2012 model, but even at that they still don't want to repair my 2012 either. So it's basically a crap shoot.

I think the TSB is only for the 2012 model, but even at that they still don't want to repair my 2012 either. So it's basically a crap shoot.

Hello stranger! lol

He mentioned that TSBs are year and vin specific so he basically knew he wasn't going to find anything. Just gave him the TSB info for his knowledge and basically let him know that it is an issue across different model years. He also mentioned that the TSB wouldn't matter if the noise was bad enough to warrant a teardown of the clutch to investigate.

In your case.....try a different dealership and mention that other 2012s are having issues and that customers are having parts replaced free of charge. Also call Honda of Canada? and open up a case.

@MissE Check out my post earlier in this thread; this is what is causing the noise:
I got my car back yesterday, the new clutch feels smooth as butter. I had requested that they show me my old clutch so that I could see for myself where the problem was, take pictures, and possibly a video - all of which are posted below; Thursday I got to stop in and see the parts.

My friction plate looked fantastic, the tech said it looked like it only had 5-10k miles on it (I passed 33,333 mi earlier today). The flywheel was in great shape too, though it had some minor scoring so that you could see darkened rings running around where the clutch contacted it; it looked exactly like a broken-in brake rotor.

The dampening springs inside the clutch assembly were clearly loose: two more than the others, the third had a tiny bit of play, and the last didn't move at all when wiggling it (the two pink colored springs were not as loose). The two darker springs had multiple scorch marks on them, some quite deep, and the tech took the time to point out that those should not be there, as those springs should never come in contact with other parts inside the assembly. The pink springs were not spared, they both had the same scorch marks, though fewer, and the spring that would not move only had one that I saw. The tech also confirmed that the new clutch he put in (I did not get to see the new part to compare) was the exact same as the old part, just minus the wear.

View: http://youtu.be/TmRiscPgZKI

View attachment 45240

View attachment 45241

View attachment 45242

View attachment 45243

In this last image on the right end of the spring you can see one of the bigger scorch marks. There is a smaller one on the left end, and the edge of one poking out from behind the housing on the first coil in from the right.

I had to fight with my dealership to get them to do the work, but I was certain that I had the same problem as others before me and that the wear on the clutch would not show any reason for this to be caused by me, but instead to be covered under warranty. The best way to reproduce the noise for them is on a hill from a stop. Going up the hill, give a little rev and release the clutch; with a very small amount of practice you'll be able to get it to happen most of the time, then you can show the tech at your dealership so there is no question about the noise being present. They will tell you that if they find excessive wear when they do the tear down that you will be responsible for paying for the work - it does not sound like you have abused the car or the clutch in any way so I would not worry. I had more than 33k miles on mine driving hard and my friction plate looked like new.

Honda knows about this problem, and they will replace 1 (ONE) clutch assembly per car under "good will" since it is technically a wear item but the problem is covered under warranty as the part of the clutch in question - the dampening springs - should not be wearing at all. It was a great help for me to open a case with Honda Corp of America (I'm assuming you would have to call Honda Canada). Once Honda Corp contacted my dealership they were much more agreeable to fixing this issue under warranty, though they still tried to scare me with threats of me having to cover the cost if they found signs of abuse.

Last edited:
Just curious, would upgrading the clutch get rid of this issue?

Yes, replacing the clutch disk which houses the springs that make this noise will solve this problem (see my post link above). It should be noted that after having their stock clutch replaced with a new stock clutch, the problem has reappeared for several owners after another ~30k miles. I believe this has to do with our flimsy rear engine mounts and that replacing the mount will reduce the chances of this problem reoccurring, or happening in the first place for new buyers. This is also something to consider if you are planning on boosting the car later as you will need to replace the clutch with something better than stock depending on how much power you add anyways.

Last edited:
Yes, replacing the clutch disk which houses the springs that make this noise will solve this problem (see my post link above). It should be noted that after having their stock clutch replaced with a new stock clutch, the problem has reappeared for several owners after another ~30k miles. I believe this has to do with our flimsy rear engine mounts and that replacing the mount will reduce the chances of this problem reoccurring, or happening in the first place for new buyers. This is also something to consider if you are planning on boosting the car later as you will need to replace the clutch with something better than stock depending on how much power you add.

I have had a rear Hasport motor mount since about 10k miles (now at 30k) and do not have problems or noises from my clutch.

Thanks for the info, I guess I'll go to the dealership that sold me the car and hope that is covered by their 2 year warranty on it. Worst case scenario and it's not covered, would anyone know about how long the car can go with this noise until the clutch starts failing? Its not something I want to do but money is kind of tight right now.

Yes, replacing the clutch disk which houses the springs that make this noise will solve this problem (see my post link above). It should be noted that after having their stock clutch replaced with a new stock clutch, the problem has reappeared for several owners after another ~30k miles. I believe this has to do with our flimsy rear engine mounts and that replacing the mount will reduce the chances of this problem reoccurring, or happening in the first place for new buyers. This is also something to consider if you are planning on boosting the car later as you will need to replace the clutch with something better than stock depending on how much power you add anyways.

Interesting on the motor mount front. I have the garage and if I have the motivation and time. Wouldn't want this coming back a second time.

Thanks for the info, I guess I'll go to the dealership that sold me the car and hope that is covered by their 2 year warranty on it. Worst case scenario and it's not covered, would anyone know about how long the car can go with this noise until the clutch starts failing? Its not something I want to do but money is kind of tight right now.

I know of one guy who went for about 100k miles before he decided to go get it taken care of. It can go for a while, it's just annoying. But it's all going to depend on what conditions you drive in and how, in general, your clutching abilities are.

Well... I had the 4th gear in my tranny go in september and got the tranny re biult. I also wound up getting a new sprung clutchmasters 4xoo clutch and flywheel (like stage 4) because i have a turbo.. Only have athousand miles on the clutch right now...i Recently installed the em1 cmc and did the cdv delete in the past 2 weeks.. The last couple of days i have been hearing that "groaning" coming out of first gear. Kind of like one of the videos And then i read this haha... Its been real cold out here the last couple of days i was hoping (wishful thinking) it was that at first because it kind of seems to get better as i drive it for a little.. But i dont think so. I hope i didnt mess anything up with the new cmc and cdv delete.. Im gonna try to adjust the clutch pedal differently.. But i dont know.. Aftermarket clutch and the same problem??? I hope not!!!!

Ever since I posted about my noise it seemed to go away. The temps went up at the same time. Don't think there is a corralTion there.

Since there was no noise for a couple days I didn't take the car it to my buddy at the dealership. In the last two day the noise is back but not as often. The temps did drop again....

My slave to fork arm connection is clacking now intermittent so I think it's just needs grease but it makes it feel like the pedal drops to the floor the last 1/4-1/2 inch after full disengagement. This is different than the pedal spring pop as I got under the car while someone actuated the clutch. Very hard to pinpoint so I'll be checking it out this weekend.

My slave to fork arm connection is clacking now intermittent so I think it's just needs grease but it makes it feel like the pedal drops to the floor the last 1/4-1/2 inch after full disengagement. This is different than the pedal spring pop as I got under the car while someone actuated the clutch. Very hard to pinpoint so I'll be checking it out this weekend.
Good to know though.. Where do you have to put the grease? On the tip of the slave Piston that engages the fork arm? Or inside the slave piston?

Ever since I posted about my noise it seemed to go away. The temps went up at the same time. Don't think there is a corralTion there.

Since there was no noise for a couple days I didn't take the car it to my buddy at the dealership. In the last two day the noise is back but not as often. The temps did drop again....
Yea.. Never heard of a clutch making noise because of cold weather haha..

Back