2017 Civic Si Revealed

they're gonna flip flop on us.... so instead of like 200hp/170 tq we get 170hp and 192tq

:D Jk

But looking the new turbo Honda motors, the hp and torque (ft-lbs) numbers are closer to each other.

So yeah, it might be 205/192. Lol.

I bet it'll be very close to 230 since that's a figure hondprojason has repeatedly said again and again in tweets/videos. I would think since he deals with honda so much, they've teased that to him to throw out there.

I was right on the HP.

So yeah, it might be 205/192. Lol.

The compression ratio might have been lowered significantly compared to the previous Si model. Honda also claims a "lighter body" so hopefully the power:weight works out. Even though it will be 205/192 from factory, tuning the 2017 Si will be workable due to a turbo motor.

Well that's quite the surprise to say the least. I like how jason is acting excited with his "!!!!" releasing the figures. No way he's super excited with the results after what he repeatedly claimed.

So, it's a Civic with an improved suspension and a spoiler...and a little bit of a tune.

= Civic Si

It used to come with a different engine platform (high output 2.0L or 2.4L rather than 1.8L motor). This has the same 1.5L motor with less than a 10% difference between regular Civic and Civic Si, whereas previous models were in the 30% range. The other cars in segment, GTI, Focus ST, etc. (small displacement turbo upgrades to commuter cars) are pushing 230-250 hp and 200+ ft. lb. torque. Those are really the same category now that Honda as thrown a turbo on the car.

I'm sure the reason why Honda stayed with the 1.5L for the new Si is because of budget. Honda already has the 2.0L N/A and 1.5L Turbo for the regular 2017 Civic models and the Type-R having the unique performance 2.0L turbo. That's already three different motors for the 2016-2017+ Civic trims. I don't think Honda wanted to put more R&D for a new performance motor. A de-tuned 2.0L from a Type-R would have been a good choice, but not for Honda's marketing perspective. That will more likely damage the Type-R sales because the customers will see that the Si will be more bang for the buck. Honda's approach for this year is to sell the first ever U.S. Civic Type-R. I don't think Honda cares at all if the Si sales decline.

Maybe Hondata will develop a cheap $249 reflash that will boost the power to ~230hp/~215tq. That will make the Si more worthy.

Hondata will probably have a field day with this motor.There already getting something similar to this level of power out of the non si 1.5 turbos. Guarentee the aftermarket support will be much better engine wise on this generation simply because it has a turbo.

Im a little suprised by the low numbers but I know that with bolt ons and a tune it can probably hit 230-240. Is this really the same exact engine as the EX-T? Even internally?

Im a little suprised by the low numbers but I know that with bolt ons and a tune it can probably hit 230-240. Is this really the same exact engine as the EX-T? Even internally?
I'm assuming higher boost and different compression ratio. If the boost pressure is at a stupid high number (over 20psi) like the old Lancer Ralliart (I think it was 23psi from factory), then there will be no point getting the Si at all...

...the compression ratio is definitely lowered. The 2017 Si is rated at 205hp at 5700rpm.

THAT'S 5700RPM!!!!! This car is getting less and less rev happy. :sadbanana:

Does anyone else get annoyed when HondaPro Jason says his dumb catch phrase? It makes no sense.

He looks too excited... Wonder how much Honda pays him for his videos?

He annoys me.... :thumbsdown:

the only saving grace here might be the fact that the torque comes on at 2100 rpm. Although im not gonna lie climate control, and heated seats kinda have me slighty jealous.

Back