Flights 97 Ex build thread

75195290faed407ac64e61c43caab965.jpg

Disappointingly low power output. Come to find out that my compression ratio is way too low. Looking at a different set of pistons. If you look at the graph though the curves are at least pretty solid and the torque curve is pretty flat. Wound up making 10psi of boost on the dyno.

The torque curve is really nice. Power wise it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense with 10psi. They think it's entirely due to the pistons?

Yeah I talked with Jeff at Evans tuning and he said the compression ratio was way to low (7.8:1) which is why the output is so low. Stock was 9.6:1 and he recommended 10:1 if I change pistons.

So having been completley dissatisfied with the results I got i did some financial wizardry I have a box full of needed parts and fluids waiting to build this engine again. Just waiting for the pistons to be milled and mailed to me then i can get started. My backs gonna be killing me cause im doing all of this with the engine still in the car.

Reactions: Nix
Piston specs are for 10.5:1 but using some online information with the piston specs it's should come out to 10:1 with my headgasket choice.

So shiny! I can't wait for the teardown!

Tear down is now complete.
368ff32281a7c9392e8d4104abb6855a.jpg

22cb996e9c3a23c35db866914753feb5.jpg

d461d01541cbe505c1098a0a7eef4bd8.jpg

Unfortunately I found some signs of wear I didn't like.

5ccbf437b47d0a671679afdbb6b21c5f.jpg

fa181172f87e7bc8069444135f271765.jpg

6358c3a12b5bcdb9492999b81b86334a.jpg

Gonna have to flush all the oil passages, get another new set of bearings (main and rod) and then bust out the plastigauge again. Wasn't prepared for the extra work but honestly at this point with this car I'm not even surprised.

Ouch. How's the crank looking at least?

Ouch. How's the crank looking at least?
Not a scratch thankfully. This is the second time i've eaten a set of bearings. I'm going to flush all the oil passages in the crank and then plastigauge every lobe when in install the new bearings to make sure everything is still in spec. I have a feeling that because i ran the car for so long on a really rich tune i may have lost some lubrication to fuel soak which caused this issue. Crazy part is there were no signs of it, oil pressure was spot on, and no unusual noises.

Literally waiting for a single arp washer to put the head back on. I somehow managed to lose one while taking it off. Searched everywhere but that **** must be in another dimension cause it's nowhere to be found.

Ah the joys of wrenching. I love when something like that happens and it's the only car you have. Small job before going to work? No problem!

Ah the joys of wrenching. I love when something like that happens and it's the only car you have. Small job before going to work? No problem!

That's why I have another car honestly. All the one hour jobs that turned into one day jobs on this thing were killing me.

Back