Battery

Tak

New York City
Vehicle Model
LX
Body Style
Sedan (FB2)
Hello guys

I want to say, Honda's OEM battery sucks at all. I am going with the 4th one now. The original and 2 replacement from Honda dealer died prematurely. Now I am onto the 4th one and will choose aftermarket, either Autozone Duralast gold or Optima Red or Yellow top.

I found the autozone's gold one maybe more suitable for me. I am a daily driver who doesn't want something more fancy and doesn't like installing audio system. In the future, I will switch the headlight to HID retrofit. With autozone's gold one, it has more CCA than stock.

My friend says the reason why OEM sucks because the battery is cheap from the beginning (he says it's even cheaper than autozone) and I am a daily driver that the charge system can't charge the battery sufficiently that causes the battery failing prematurely due to daily short trips (less than 10 miles per day).

I will get the battery very soon, probably in a couple of days if the battery still can hold on a bit.

Thanks

Tak

Last edited:
see attachment from consumer reports on batteries

Attachments

• batteries.pdf
    602.8 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: Tak
Thanks for your info @webby
My civic couldn't wait. I found the battery died when I picked up my car. Then I got boosted from jump start. I was close to Auto Zone so it's over with OEM battery. I got myself Duralast Gold quick.
WP_20170516_001.jpg

@Tak is the battery cover only for the OEM battery, or did you install it back on autozone's battery?

AFAIK, the OEM comes with warranty but pro-rated after x amount of months.

Even though it comes with warranty, I'm tired of keep going back for battery warranty and getting harassed because I got aftermarket parts installed.

That AutoZone my car was nearby didn't have the Optima Yellow Top. So its okay. At least I'm back on road without problem.

Last edited:
The OEM batteries do suck! Mine died about 2 weeks ago and I only have 22k miles on my car! I went with a optima yellow top battery.

The OEM batteries do suck! Mine died about 2 weeks ago and I only have 22k miles on my car! I went with a optima yellow top battery.
Oh that sucks. I was trying to get Optima Yellow top. I was so pissed that I found the battery died when picking up the car, but that Auto Zone didn't have one for me. So I went with Duralast quick and easy.

Is Honda battery that bad? Perhaps there's a hidden reason on 9th Gen about why they died prematurely? Your car's miles is so low and mine is only 39k now.

Last edited:
I guess as far as batteries go, I'm one of the lucky ones. With nearly 87,000 miles on my 2014 Civic SI, I'm still on the original Honda battery. Although I did sustain hail damage the other day, so there's that.

Oh that sucks. I was trying to get Optima Yellow top. I was so pissed that I found the battery died when picking up the car, but that Auto Zone didn't have one for me. So I went with Duralast quick and easy.

Is Honda battery that bad? Perhaps there's a hidden reason on 9th Gen about why they died prematurely? Your car's miles is so low and mine is only 39k now.

Yeah I had issues with my 8th gens oem battery dying, I didn't have an aftermarket radio on that one. For my 9th I have a subwoofer so I guess that could have caused the issue but either way the OEM battery sucks lol

I heard the eco button may cause the battery drained issue. Is it correct?

Thanks

Back