What MP3 players work through the USB on a 2012 Civic?

desiguyinnc

Long Island, NY
Vehicle Model
Civic LX
Body Style
Sedan
My old ipod broke and I was wondering if the ipod shuffle would work through the USB slot. I don't really feel like spending a lot on a new ipod....are there any cheaper MP3 players that are compatible with the USB slot? I tried hooking up my hard drive it and that didnt work.

from honda -
"2] The USB Audio Interface is used for direct connection to and control of some current digital audio players and other USB devices that contain MP3, WMA or AAC music files. Some USB devices with security software and digital rights-protected files may not work. Please see your Honda dealer for details."

I've had a few different mp3 players hooked up without issue. You also have the MP3/Auxiliary Input Jack you can use.

Droid phones should generically work. When you connect the USB, you will need to ensure it is not in "Charge Only" mode. If you select "Filesystem" or something similar, the Droid will re-mount as what will appear to be a USB thumb drive to your Civic and you will be good to go.

Or, just use the Bluetooth. I'm using Winamp on my phone, and it immediately started playing music when I hit "Aux" on the dash - in the middle of the song I had been listening to with my headphones earlier, no less. Honda's Bluetooth is definitely superior to Toyota's.

Thank you for that ^^^. I've not had a droid owner confirm that

I can confirm that Bluetooth works flawlessly for both music and phone calls on my Evo 3D. It even blew my salesman away. It also works fine as a USB device.

I prefer the Bluetooth, as it's one less cable to connect. Also, I don't know what would happen if I was listening through the USB and got a phone call...

Ya know what's a lot cheaper than a new mp3 player? Just get a 8 or 16 gig thumb drive from walmart, fill it with mp3s and plug THAT in. I mean, if you're going to get an mp3 player, go for it, but the IMID will read directly from a flash media drive like a thumb drive automatically. SO much less expensive.

That is a great idea for people. They wouldn't be able to listen to music on headphones with that route, but that is a cheap method of getting a lot of tunes in the car!

I have connected my iPod Touch and it works great! Occasionally, the iMid will report it is unsupported and I have to disconnect and reconnect the iTouch, but it continues playing from the same point in the song. I soon plan to try the USB thumbdrive option and the bluetooth as well, will report back after I do.

I'm wondering if my 120 gig zune will work? Seems like zune is the red headed step child of the mp3 world.
I haven't tried it on the 9th, but zunes did not work in the 8th generation civic. People with zunes had to use them off the aux plug. It wouldn't work off the usb.

I'm wondering if my 120 gig zune will work? Seems like zune is the red headed step child of the mp3 world.

zune-tattoo.jpg

My girlfriends iPhone 4S will not work on the USB port on her 2012 FB6. I have a 2010 FG2 and my USB port will charge hers but will not play music through the port. So we use a AUX cable for music when using her phone.

I'm still trying to figure out why her 4S will not even charge when we tried it this weekend. Note the car was bought used and has a nice Clarion navi unit installed. I'm wondering if the USB was plugged into the back of the radio when installed. I know the previous owner and was told that Honda installed the radio.

Is there anything else I should try before snatching the dash off and checking the USB plug?

Back