2017 Civic Si Revealed

So much for the media embargo.
Both Car and Driver and Motor Trend posted full reviews today.
embargo has to be over. A bunch of bloggers/auto sites and whatnot all did articles and videos in the last like 2 days. Here is the vtec article.
http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=1319633

Go to youtube and search "2017 civic si"
use the filter and set it to "this week". You'll get a bunch of reviews on the new si along with test drives.

embargo has to be over. A bunch of bloggers/auto sites and whatnot all did articles and videos in the last like 2 days. Here is the vtec article.
http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=1319633

Go to youtube and search "2017 civic si"
use the filter and set it to "this week". You'll get a bunch of reviews on the new si along with test drives.

I was watching a bunch of them before work this morning. All of them were pretty much saying the same thing. Good car overall but lacking some of the sporty feel that the si is known for. Particularly not enough induction or exhaust noise and the engine had plenty of mid level grunt but ran outa breath at the top of the rev range.

I like the one that was posted on the last page. Dude seems to give a honest review on it.

I find it interesting the power ratings were underrated as there have been several examples of crank numbers being generated at the wheel

I seriously think the LX hatch with the 6-speed, the cheapest one available, is going to be the winner. The rest get saddled with that CVT and extra cost/weight.

Reactions: Tak
I want to see the non-Si models get that boost increase and beat the Si's on the track! :D

Ok, we've been talking about stock 10th gen si. How about its potential in tuning? I know nobody does it yet. But is the tuning potential in 10th gen si more significant than 10th gen non-si? I'm trying to compare the tuning potential like 9th gen si and non si. It's huge different in 9th gen in reality.

The way I look at is I know many si guys mod their car, but going full boosting is different. If the 10th gen non-si guy can boost easily, that will out-run stock 10th gen si guy easily.

What do you guys think?

It's like comparing apples and oranges. The previous generations had different engines. Now it's the same engine with different tunes and maybe a few minor differences. Essentially, they should have similar potential...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

It's like comparing apples and oranges. The previous generations had different engines. Now it's the same engine with different tunes and maybe a few minor differences. Essentially, they should have similar potential...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
I totally understand that and that's what I am coming from.

In 10th gen, the engine in Si and non-si are literally the same, it's just different in internal, tuning, here and there. That said, if both have the same potential, why wouldn't people want and stick with base model? The only thing that base models can't get is the LSD suspension. But people with base model may also get the performance suspension as well.

Like other people said, the 10th gen base model will easily beat the si guys with stock. There will be no more "Should've got Si" statement.

the size of the turbo on the si is larger they said. So, to match the same power the si has, you'd have to increase the boost even more. In theory the si would be able to out power the non-si by just increasing it's boost the same way though. Eventually it's going to come down to engine internal strength. They rumored the boost to be at 20psi on the si.

the size of the turbo on the si is larger they said. So, to match the same power the si has, you'd have to increase the boost even more. In theory the si would be able to out power the non-si by just increasing it's boost the same way though. Eventually it's going to come down to engine internal strength. They rumored the boost to be at 20psi on the si.
That's another thing I think non-si guys will look at.
They may choose to swap the turbo and internal to achieve similar power level?

yeah totally. Si does have suspension advantages, si bolstered seats, and other upgrades, but power wise they could probably be pretty close with tuning. There is a video with a race team already saying they've hit 375hp in the R with motec tuning, so that's going to obviously be the big leader over the other models.

LSD and the suspension is what makes the sports version what it is.
If I really wanted to have fun at the track, I'd take the one w/ an LSD any day.
Example of this would be the current WRX vs STi; while the WRX has the newer, more efficient engine with better torque delivery and newer twin-scroll turbocharger (am I missing anything here?), the power train and suspension components on the STi is still, for the lack of better term, sportier than what the WRX does and is what gives the STi its worth.

Probably not forged internals.

Drove one last night.... all I can say is lag and holy long gears Batman but the suspension felt nice in sport mode

I debated changing my reserve from the sport touring hatch to an si. In the end I reminded myself that we were replacing a commuter car and wanted the cargo space. It's basically the same engine and I already have my girl sold on getting a flash pro so even with the cvt it should keep it lively enough for going back and forth to work and long distance vacation drives. Plus I'll still have my 9th and the eternal money pit for my speed/sport fix.

Back