Metra Axxess ASWC-1 and i-MID

jrodicus

Has anybody installed an Axxess ASWC-1 steering wheel control interface for an aftermarket head unit into their Civic with an i-MID? I'm curious if this removes all ability to control the factory system, or if there's some sort of toggle to switch between controlling the head unit and factory controls. There are a handful of functions I don't want to give up access to for the sake of convenience with a new HU, but if there's some sort of toggle I'd be okay with it.

Any advice appreciated. For reference, I have a 2012 Civic Coupe LX and looking to add one of the Pioneer NEX HUs for the CarPlay functionality coming sometime this summer.

Welp, guess I'll post back here after I figure it out. I've ordered an ASWC-1 to get steering wheel functions until the iDatalink Maestro support gets added to the NEX firmware, which _should_ give me "secondary screen" support.

In case somebody runs across this with the same questions, I'm glad to report the ASWC-1 works great and retains access to the factory iMid computer controls. Install was simpler than I was expecting, too.

In case somebody runs across this with the same questions, I'm glad to report the ASWC-1 works great and retains access to the factory iMid computer controls. Install was simpler than I was expecting, too.

Nice! Was this with the Pioneer stereo upgrade I assume? If so this is great news, as I will now consider it

Yes, this is with Pioneer's AVIC-8000NEX. The menu and info buttons continue to work with the Civic's iMid functions. When you press menu the D-pad only navigates the iMid screen. When you exit the menu the D-pad controls volume and back/next on the head unit.

I was concerned I would experience some goofy behavior, like volume up/down when I'm trying to do something with the iMid. Guess Metra/Axxess had that figured out. :)

Also to note, installing the AWSC-1 on a '12 Civic involves ground, accessory, and tapping into two CAN bus data wires on one of the factory harnesses. You can order part no. HDCC-01 to avoid tapping/splicing these two (I'm pretty sure anyway), but I had a hard time finding anybody that stocked the part. To hell with it; I can always solder/heat-shrink the harness back to the factory configuration if necessary!

Last edited:
jrodicus,

I was really impressed with the Pioneer Avic 8000 setup after seeing it in person. Can you provide the links to the products that you bought?
- Pioneer Avic 8000 nex unit
- AWSC-1
- HDCC-01

I have a 2012 civic coupe Si, do i have to buy both of AWSC-1 and HDCC-01? Or just HDCC-01?

Sorry for the novice questions, but i love the unit.

jrodicus,

I was really impressed with the Pioneer Avic 8000 setup after seeing it in person. Can you provide the links to the products that you bought?
- Pioneer Avic 8000 nex unit
- AWSC-1
- HDCC-01

I have a 2012 civic coupe Si, do i have to buy both of AWSC-1 and HDCC-01? Or just HDCC-01?

Sorry for the novice questions, but i love the unit.

just HDCC-01

I honestly don't know what the HDCC-01 provides. I couldn't find a retailer that carried it without special order, so I gave up on that and tapped into the steering wheel control harness directly. Works fine for my needs, and I can always solder the harness wires back to the factory configuration if need be.

Have you had any experience with the iDataLink Maestro in regards to the 8000NEX? I know it was mentioned earlier in the thread, just checking to see if you were able to go that route.

Sorry to revive an old thread but I just got the aswc-1 and bought a head unit called panlelo (features are amazing for the price) and connected everything up but it still does not work. Lights keep flashing green and red on the aswc receiver. Anyone have an idea what could be wrong?

Sorry to revive an old thread but I just got the aswc-1 and bought a head unit called panlelo (features are amazing for the price) and connected everything up but it still does not work. Lights keep flashing green and red on the aswc receiver. Anyone have an idea what could be wrong?

from a pdf I found online - I'd look at the led codes and info they have listed.

For all other radios, plug in the male 3.5mm connector of the ASWC-1 into the back of the aftermarket radio, designated for an external SWC control interface. Please refer to the aftermarket radios manual if you are in doubt where the 3.5mm connector of the ASWC-1 goes. Once all connections have been made, plug in the aftermarket radio if not done already.

* If this is the first time the ASWC-1 is being installed:
1) Turn the ignition on; the led will start flashing rapidly which means the ASWC-1 is looking for the vehicle and the radio. Go to step 3.

* If the ASWC-1 was installed before:
1) Turn the ignition on; the led will flash slowly.
2) Hold down the reset button more then 2 seconds but less then 10 seconds, the led will start flashing rapidly.

3) The ASWC-1 will automatically find the vehicle and radio.
4) After a couple of seconds, the led should stop flashing and not light up for 2 seconds. At this point, do not push any buttons.
5) After the 2 seconds there will be a series of 7 Green flashes, some short and some long.
6) The led will pause for another 2 seconds then flash Red up to 15 times.
7) This is the end of the auto-detection stage. If the ASWC-1 detected the vehicle and the radio successfully, the led will light up solid.
8) Make sure the steering wheel control buttons function correctly in the vehicle and enjoy your radio. So what if the led does not light up solid or the steering wheel controls do not function properly? Check out troubleshooting section below.

Troubleshooting the Auto-Detect Mode

So you tried the auto-detect feature and at the end the led did not stay on solid, it started flashing Red slowly, or the steering wheel controls did not function properly. That means the ASWC-1 did not detect the vehicle or the proper radio. Follow these steps to determine what happened:

First, some basic tips:
1) Verify that you have 12-volt accessory and a good chassis ground to the ASWC-1.
2) Verify with the vehicle information sheet on the Axxess website that you connected the correct steering wheel control wire(s) in the vehicle to the correct wire(s) on the ASWC-1.
3) Verify that the 3.5mm connector is connected to your radio securely and in the correct location.
4) If using the female 3.5mm connector on an Eclipse or Kenwood radio, verify that the radio’s SWC wire is connected to the correct wire on the ASWC-1. Once all the information above has been verified and correct, you will need to put the ASWC-1 back into auto-detect mode. Follow the instructions from “If the ASWC-1 was installed before” section above, however this time take notice of the led flashes in steps 5 and 6.

Here is what the flashes stand for:
LED Feedback
The 1st series of Green led flashes represent the wire(s) that are connected to the vehicle from the ASWC-1.
Short flashes represent the steering wheel control wire(s) that ARE NOT connected to the vehicle.
Long flashes represent the wire(s) that ARE connected to the vehicle:

1st led flash is the White/Green wire on the ASWC-1
2nd led flash is the Yellow/Green wire on the ASWC-1
3rd led flash is the Green/Orange wire on the ASWC-1
4th led flash is the Gray/Red wire on the ASWC-1
5th led flash is the Black/Green wire on the ASWC-1
6th led flash is the Gray/Blue wire on the ASWC-1
7th led flash is the Pink wire on the ASWC-1

If during the auto-detect sequence there was no long Green led flash, just short ones, the ASWC-1 was not connected to the correct wire in the vehicle, or the incorrect wire was used on the ASWC-1. Double check connections and the vehicle information sheet to verify that you have the correct wires connected. The 2nd set of Red led flashes represents what brand radio the ASWC-1 believes it is connected to.

Each flash is for a different radio manufacturer. For example if you are installing a JVC radio, the ASWC-1 should blink Red 5 times.
1st led flash is for Eclipse
2nd led flash is for Kenwood
3rd led flash is for Clarion
4th led flash is for Sony and Dual
5th led flash is for JVC
6th led flash is for Pioneer and Jensen
7th led flash is for Alpine*
8th led flash is for Visteon
9th led flash is for Valor
10th led flash is for Clarion 5v
11th led flash is for Metra OE
12th led flash is for Eclipse type 2
13th led flash is for LG
14th led flash is for PARROT (note: AX-SWC-PARROT required (sold separately), radio MUST be updated to rev 2.1.4 or higher and ASWC-1 MUST be updated to the latest firmware from www.axxessinterfaces.com).
15th led is for XITE

* Note: If the ASWC-1 flashes Red 7 times and you do not have an Alpine radio connected to it that means that the ASWC-1 did not see any radio connected. Verify the 3.5mm connector is connected to the SWC input on the radio.

Thanks @webby , read all that. I think my problem is that my head unit swc doesn't have a headphone jack. It's just two wires but I have no idea which one to connect it to. I'll post some pics to show. The picture will show two wires labeled key1 and key+ I'm guessing I can use the female 3.5mm adapter supplied with the aswc-1 and connect that to the male and connect the other two wires from the female 3.5mm to key 1 and key +. I just dunno which wires I would use to connect. I'll probably experiment with this.

Attachments

• IMG_2045.JPG
    IMG_2045.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2046.JPG
    IMG_2046.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
Can you contact the company that makes the head unit?

@webby i have but they're no help. They made me leave a 5 star review to get their own special steering wheel control adapter so I can try waiting on that to get it to work or the aswc that I have now. Anyway my guess was right and it now works only issue is it keeps messing up. For example when I set the buttons to control volume up and down then skip. All buttons would just raise the volume up. Sometimes it would lower the volume only or do a combination of skipping music and lowering volume. Super weird.

Sorry man. Well I hope their unit ends up working without issue for you. That is sometimes one of the downfalls of buying lesser known "brands".

Sorry man. Well I hope their unit ends up working without issue for you. That is sometimes one of the downfalls of buying lesser known "brands".
Yeah, reviews were good and the features for the price is amazing. I love the unit as I have it all working just hate that I can get the steering wheel controls to work. I'll keep trying and hopefully get it all working.

Back