Credit Agency Equifax Hacked - 143 Million US Residents

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
This is very serious to all. Based on the number of social security numbers hacked, this is basically everyone over the age of 18 in the United States. Limited Canadian and UK data was stolen.

If you aren't aware, Equifax is one of the 3 main credit bureaus that handle credit reports. They hold all of your credit card info, your payment history, loan data/debts on cars/homes etc. They are one of the 3 agencies that determine your credit score.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh1gzJFVFLc

Company to Offer Free Identity Theft Protection and Credit File Monitoring to All U.S. Consumers
September 7, 2017 — Equifax Inc. (NYSE: EFX) today announced a cybersecurity incident potentially impacting approximately 143 million U.S. consumers. Criminals exploited a U.S. website application vulnerability to gain access to certain files. Based on the company’s investigation, the unauthorized access occurred from mid-May through July 2017. The company has found no evidence of unauthorized activity on Equifax’s core consumer or commercial credit reporting databases.

The information accessed primarily includes names, Social Security numbers, birth dates, addresses and, in some instances, driver’s license numbers. In addition, credit card numbers for approximately 209,000 U.S. consumers, and certain dispute documents with personal identifying information for approximately 182,000 U.S. consumers, were accessed. As part of its investigation of this application vulnerability, Equifax also identified unauthorized access to limited personal information for certain UK and Canadian residents. Equifax will work with UK and Canadian regulators to determine appropriate next steps. The company has found no evidence that personal information of consumers in any other country has been impacted.

Equifax discovered the unauthorized access on July 29 of this year and acted immediately to stop the intrusion. The company promptly engaged a leading, independent cybersecurity firm that has been conducting a comprehensive forensic review to determine the scope of the intrusion, including the specific data impacted. Equifax also reported the criminal access to law enforcement and continues to work with authorities. While the company’s investigation is substantially complete, it remains ongoing and is expected to be completed in the coming weeks.

“This is clearly a disappointing event for our company, and one that strikes at the heart of who we are and what we do. I apologize to consumers and our business customers for the concern and frustration this causes,” said Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Richard F. Smith. “We pride ourselves on being a leader in managing and protecting data, and we are conducting a thorough review of our overall security operations. We also are focused on consumer protection and have developed a comprehensive portfolio of services to support all U.S. consumers, regardless of whether they were impacted by this incident.”

Equifax has established a dedicated website, www.equifaxsecurity2017.com, to help consumers determine if their information has been potentially impacted and to sign up for credit file monitoring and identity theft protection. The offering, called TrustedID Premier, includes 3-Bureau credit monitoring of Equifax, Experian and TransUnion credit reports; copies of Equifax credit reports; the ability to lock and unlock Equifax credit reports; identity theft insurance; and Internet scanning for Social Security numbers – all complimentary to U.S. consumers for one year. The website also provides additional information on steps consumers can take to protect their personal information. Equifax recommends that consumers with additional questions visit www.equifaxsecurity2017.com or contact a dedicated call center at 866-447-7559, which the company set up to assist consumers. The call center is open every day (including weekends) from 7:00 a.m. – 1:00 a.m. Eastern time.

In addition to the website, Equifax will send direct mail notices to consumers whose credit card numbers or dispute documents with personal identifying information were impacted. Equifax also is in the process of contacting U.S. state and federal regulators and has sent written notifications to all U.S. state attorneys general, which includes Equifax contact information for regulator inquiries.

Equifax has engaged a leading, independent cybersecurity firm to conduct an assessment and provide recommendations on steps that can be taken to help prevent this type of incident from happening again.

CEO Smith said, “I’ve told our entire team that our goal can’t be simply to fix the problem and move on. Confronting cybersecurity risks is a daily fight. While we’ve made significant investments in data security, we recognize we must do more. And we will.”

To enroll in the monitoring -
https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/

tagging everyone, as this is a serious incident that could harm your credit and identity
[USERGROUP=2]@Registered[/USERGROUP]

This is crazy. My dad was telling me about it last night when I stopped over their house. I didn't hear about it.

It is insane. Wow.

• Staff
How do I place a freeze on my credit reports?
Contact each of the nationwide credit reporting companies:

• Equifax — 1-800-349-9960
  • Experian — 1‑888‑397‑3742
  • TransUnion — 1-888-909-8872
You'll need to supply your name, address, date of birth, Social Security number and other personal information. Fees vary based on where you live, but commonly range from $5 to $10.

After receiving your freeze request, each credit reporting company will send you a confirmation letter containing a unique PIN (personal identification number) or password. Keep the PIN or password in a safe place. You will need it if you choose to lift the freeze.

How do I lift a freeze?
A freeze remains in place until you ask the credit reporting company to temporarily lift it or remove it altogether. A credit reporting company must lift a freeze no later than three business days after getting your request. The cost to lift a freeze varies by state.

If you opt for a temporary lift because you are applying for credit or a job, and you can find out which credit reporting company the business will contact for your file, you can save some money by lifting the freeze only at that particular company.

this is crazy, speaking of this though I was checking my score a few weeks ago and someone in GA took a 74,000 auto loan for a GMC that I had to get off to include 2 large Credit cards.

• Staff
this is crazy, speaking of this though I was checking my score a few weeks ago and someone in GA took a 74,000 auto loan for a GMC that I had to get off to include 2 large Credit cards.
sorry man. Did you end up freezing your account, or what did they do to help protect your identity?

Dude, not cool! Hope they get/got everything taken care of.

Jeez I never heard of them nor used them does it still count?
How many Canadians?

The breach exposed the information of an “unknown” number of people living in Canada. The company has not yet released how many Canadians are affected but said nearly 143 million Americans had their data breached.

“Equifax will work with U.K. and Canadian regulators to determine appropriate next steps,” the credit monitoring company said in a statement.

Many Canadians affected have likely never even heard of the company, he added.
"So it's even more worrisome because people who may be the subject of identity theft and wrongdoing aren't even thinking 'I should be checking on this."'

The Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada wants Equifax to provide a full report on the breach, including details on how Canadians were affected.

"Given the potential sensitivity of the information, we expect that Equifax will adopt measures to help affected individuals," spokesperson Valerie Lawton said via email.

so this isn't very helpful, but basically all I've seen regarding canada.

sorry man. Did you end up freezing your account, or what did they do to help protect your identity?
whom every got my info did a good job at it. they got a loan from GM financial. I gave them a call and the company who s/he took the credit cards out on to let them know it was someone who stole my identity. the guy I spoke with at GM was really cool and understanding and knew 1st off the loan should not have been approved for that much with the fact I have a house and car payment and my income is not that high and also the fact it was out of state.
after reporting with them I contacted the 3 major credit companies to Freeze my accounts and good thing they were able to remove all 3 from my credit reports. also I am setting up a contact me first before running my credit thing with my back so if someone tries to run it they call me first kind of thing. I have been busy since I found out so I have not sat down with my bank to do it but I believe it is the same anyone can do with the credit reports.

I have to wait until the 13th for whatever it is. First, with the OMB hack a few years ago, now this one. YAY!

I have to wait until the 13th for whatever it is. First, with the OMB hack a few years ago, now this one. YAY!
It's 1yr of "free" credit monitoring. Truthfully, I'd just freeze your credit with all 3. What good is the service if it just monitors crap for a year. It doesn't stop anyone from opening something with your info. Freezing it will and doesn't hurt your credit.

the guy I spoke with at GM was really cool and understanding and knew 1st off the loan should not have been approved for that much with the fact I have a house and car payment and my income is not that high and also the fact it was out of state.

Glad you got it taken care of but stupid that the car Loan got on there. Kinda pissed that the guy knew they shouldn't have approved it but they still pushed it through anyways. "No worries, the gov has our backs".

Dislike dealerships but they are a necessary evil sometimes.

It's 1yr of "free" credit monitoring. Truthfully, I'd just freeze your credit with all 3. What good is the service if it just monitors crap for a year. It doesn't stop anyone from opening something with your info. Freezing it will and doesn't hurt your credit.

Still covered by the OMB monitoring.

Still covered by the OMB monitoring.
By the same company that lost your info and didn't report that they lost your info (to paying customers of their monitoring).

Back