8th Gen GTOTT’s FG1 adventure.

GTOTT97

Back in 2011 I was a much younger guy and I went with my Aunt to Gwinnett Place Honda because her beloved 2001 accord coupe got totaled and she wanted a new car. She had a quote printed for a Sedan in Silver metallic and was told that they had one. Turns out they did not but they had an EX coupe with a sunroof in that color and papers were signed.

9f2d7301c1fc90e9065fdd01d228d9e7.jpg

That’s me and my Aunt as we finished up. A few years later I’m 16 and went with my mum to take my driving test. Her car had a crack in the windshield and they would not let me test, in cane my Aunt to save the day and I scored a 96 on that test. After this week took several trips in that car and made some fantastic memories. In December of last year she was driving on her way home when a blood vessel in her brain stem exploded and caused her to have an aneurysm that caused her to pass. The family decided I should have the car because they knew I would cherish it and I needed something that wasn’t a Miata to daily drive.

I’ve been lending my mum the car since her Mercedes is down and got a call that she had been hit.
2b78228f87e80ad67234c0ab110b83e0.jpg

I don’t have any of the good pictures but the rear quarter and door were trashed but thankfully insurance fixed it.

Fast forward to now and I’m starting to drive it again and remember how good the car is. I love the stereo and how comfy the seats are, coming from a Miata with some well sorted suspension it handles pretty good too. My only gripe is the acceleration, I can tell the R18 wants to go but that auto box has gears longer than Texas. My current plans are to replace the headlights (to gone to refinish) and replace the front bumper as while she was driving to the body shop post accident a metal basket flew hit and hit the car. There’s a decent sized hood dent I need to fix from a brick that came up while on the highway and I’d like to work the brakes some. In a perfect world where I had a decent chunk of money I’d like to manual swap or drop in a full SI drivetrain but that probably won’t happen. I’ve been looking at R18 speed parts and it looks like an intake, skunk cam and exhaust should get me a little more. Hondata makes a flash but I’ve never had a newer car that has to pass emissions so I may not do that. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear what happened to your aunt. The R18 engine is definitely designed more for gas mileage versus power. That doesn't mean it can't still be a fun car. A progress rear sway bar, or upgrading to the Si sway bar will help improve the way the car handles. Most say it's one of the best upgrades you can do for the money. @Nix and some other r18 owners can chime in with some advice I'm sure.

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear what happened to your aunt. The R18 engine is definitely designed more for gas mileage versus power. That doesn't mean it can't still be a fun car. A progress rear sway bar, or upgrading to the Si sway bar will help improve the way the car handles. Most say it's one of the best upgrades you can do for the money. @Nix and some other r18 owners can chime in with some advice I'm sure.

Thanks, I’ve found that out with some research I did before joining so far as the R18, I think I’d be happy with around 150 whp, I come from a Miata so I don’t need much to be happy. At worst I’ll spend the money for the supercharger kit Procivic caries.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. That is quite the welcome story. Sorry to hear about your aunts passing. As Webby pointed out a rear sway bar would really transform the handling.

Any pics of the Miata? Nix is looking at maybe getting one as a track/project car.

f37bb5dc98f73c12e241288c9b9e509a.jpg

To give everyone an idea of how meticulous my aunt was here is the original sticker that is neatly folded in tucked up in the giant folder full of dealer maintenance records

I’m not super familiar with the FG1 chassis so I have a few questions, so far as a front bumper goes could I use the type R sedan bumper? I also need to replace my headlights as they are beyond saving from yellowing, so far as brakes can I bolt on with the correct brackets SI front calipers?

You happen to own a polisher? Even if you don’t, you can do it by hand. It’ll just take some effort. Sealing them after the fact is very important, or UV light will end up hazing/yellowing them pretty fast and you’ll be right back where you started.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tSm8C3I6_w4

You happen to own a polisher? Even if you don’t, you can do it by hand. It’ll just take some effort. Sealing them after the fact is very important, or UV light will end up hazing/yellowing them pretty fast and you’ll be right back where you started.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tSm8C3I6_w4

I did the by hand method with a 3m kit and it didn’t make a difference. I’ll take a picture of them in a bit. It seems like the plastic is actually compromised.

I forgot to add the rear bumper is a direct swap.

so far as brakes can I bolt on with the correct brackets SI front calipers?
I can’t remember the requirements for si calipers on the 8th gen r18.

Paging @Dar-Dar @Nix may know if it’s a direct swap? Anything needed to swap?

eb5013310fc81e4b7f855215e69b94df.jpg

d294502d1375b1ac16edf48d0b5b5c7b.jpg

The foggier one is the one I treated. I was looking at front bumpers.

Sorry I read that as rear bumper for some reason. The front bumper on the R requires you to get the R headlights and front fenders. They’re different on the R.

Sorry I read that as rear bumper for some reason. The front bumper on the R requires you to get the R headlights and front fenders. They’re different on the R.

I may just do that then, this is a forever car for me.

Where’s the best place to find them?

I know a ton of companies make/sell replica kits. Heck, eBay even sells tons. Just look for one that is urethane/plastic and stay away from fiberglass kits. You’ll avoid the fitment issues and cracking you commonly see with fiberglass kits.

I know a ton of companies make/sell replica kits. Heck, eBay even sells tons. Just look for one that is urethane/plastic and stay away from fiberglass kits. You’ll avoid the fitment issues and cracking you commonly see with fiberglass kits.

Thanks

a5857fb175a16eac076a3a85fadfdac5.jpg

Finally ordered something I’ve wanted for awhile, I will probably stop at in the Honda dealership around the corner from my Chrysler dealership and see if I can get just the individual switch, my car is in the EX so it already has switches up there so the blank panel with just the fog lights which won’t work

You should be able to pop just that one fog switch out and put it in your dash. They usually just have 2 clips that will release it from the part.

Back