Type R Crate Engine Pricing Announced

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
Honda Civic Type R Crate Engine Announced With A Price Tag Of $6,520

3a6AC6j.jpg

Honda has just announced its turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine will be available to be purchased as a crate motor.

Set to be offered through the Honda Racing Line program, the crate engine will cost $6,519.87 excluding shipping fees. The engine produces 306 hp (228 kW) and 295 lb-ft (399 Nm) of torque and Honda says it's ideal for grassroots and professional racers seeking a powerful engine for closed-course racing applications.

Will it be available strictly for professional drivers?

So the way I look at it. A k20a shipped from a place like hmotors will cost u about 5k shipped and that’s engine,tranny and ecu. Add a quality turbo kit plus all the things that have to be done to support that turbo (clutch, flywheel, head and block upgrades, rebuilt tranny, etc). Plus axles and mounts and I’m sure tons of other stuff. Doesn’t that seem like a hell of a deal for that crate engine? Am I missing something?

Edit: “Be part of the Honda Racing Line”

Gotcha.

So the way I look at it. A k20a shipped from a place like hmotors will cost u about 5k shipped and that’s engine,tranny and ecu. Add a quality turbo kit plus all the things that have to be done to support that turbo (clutch, flywheel, head and block upgrades, rebuilt tranny, etc). Plus axles and mounts and I’m sure tons of other stuff. Doesn’t that seem like a hell of a deal for that crate engine? Am I missing something?

Edit: “Be part of the Honda Racing Line”

Gotcha.

But this is a new engine, which to some people would prefer. But then again, Honda requires you to be a legit "recacar"......no love for the regular joe blow enthusiast.

It also seems that Honda is jumping on the bandwagon. Seems like most manufacturers are doing crate engines now.....ei Hellcrate.

https://jalopnik.com/the-mopar-hellcrate-is-the-707-hp-engine-swap-kit-you-d-1819971951

Slightly expensive :giggle:

There’s no way he’s only spent 17k on that car. I’ve built my fair share of eg’s and I’m thinking he’s at at least 30k+ already.

• Staff
I wonder what he paid for the car itself that he’s starting with. I mean if you subtract the engine alone, he’s basically left with 10 grand in his entire budget for the car, wheels, brakes, axles and so on.

I believe his budget is $15k but it doesn't mention what he has spent already and the engine isn't from the new Type R, its from a '15(still a pretty penny).

That actually fits surprisingly well in the car. Other than maybe having to run a tucked radiator it doesn't look like he had to make much compromise to get it into the bay.

That actually fits surprisingly well in the car. Other than maybe having to run a tucked radiator it doesn't look like he had to make much compromise to get it into the bay.

Other than removing the front support and subframe.......sure, lol

Other than removing the front support and subframe.......sure, lol
ok i can see the subframe beign a hang up but im pretty sure the core support was removed just to facilitate moving the engine in and out of the bay a bunch of times easier.

Back