Honda Confirms Type-R For U.S. At Civic Concept Debut

If it was $5k less and basically all stripped out.....no wheels, seats, wing, basic stereo. I would still spring for the "loaded" R.

I ended up getting screwed by my dealership, and I called them out on it too. Even put up a Yelp review that was later deleted by Yelp.

I have my deposit down at another dealership for MSRP, whenever it comes in. 2018 of course.

I ended up getting screwed by my dealership, and I called them out on it too. Even put up a Yelp review that was later deleted by Yelp.

I have my deposit down at another dealership for MSRP, whenever it comes in. 2018 of course.
What happened? They tried to add a big markup?

My buddy has been looking to trade in his '15 Subaru WRX STi Launch Edition in on a Type R.

He has been checking around with multiple dealerships and none of them are at MSRP. He's been getting prices from $3k-$10k over MSRP.

He has been telling me via text about his experiences so far. He was going back and forth (via email) with a salesman from a dealership. The guy said he could come in and test drive it if he was really interested. My buddy went to the dealership last night and they told him that he couldn't test drive it unless he signs the paperwork that he is buying it. He told them that he couldn't make the purchase without his wife (she was home). They said unless you sign the paperwork you can't drive it. So basically they are saying if you buy it then you can test drive it.

He called me after he left and he was pissed. I understand it's a "rare" car and they don't want to put the miles on them but it baffles my mind that people can buy a car without test driving it (regardless if it's a $15k Kia or $250k Supercar) AND paying over MSRP.. :banghead: They are playing into the dealerships hand.

If people rack up miles and walk on buying, it hurts them trying to sell it to others with big markups.

What happened? They tried to add a big markup?

I originally called this dealership back in December 2016, and told them I was interested in the Type R when it was released. I had purchased several cars from them before, so I trusted them, and they knew me.

They wouldn't accept a deposit until they had a time frame of when the Type R would be in. I followed up with my sales rep every month to see how it was going and if he had any new details. Around the end of May, I received a message from my sales rep saying that he moved to a different Honda Dealership in the area and would like to offer me the Type R at his new dealership for 5k over. I just ignored it and called and spoke with the manager at the original dealership. He told me he would have the owner reach out to me.

The owner called me the next day and told me that he didn't know what he was going to do with his Type R and that he was going to be asking for $45k. His reasoning was that he didn't want someone buying the car at MSRP and then turn around and sell it on ebay for more. That it hurt the dealerships when that happens. I was very direct with him and asked him if he really thought I was going to do that as I had been calling every month for over half a year. That he can look at my purchases at his dealership. He didn't care. He also said that he wasn't going to sell to anyone out of the County(I was currently living somewhere else, but visited family in the area often).

I ended up telling them to pound sand and also later found out that they sold it to someone in Southern California. I left a Yelp review for them, and it was taken down immediately. I will never recommend friends and family to that dealership again.

I originally called this dealership back in December 2016, and told them I was interested in the Type R when it was released. I had purchased several cars from them before, so I trusted them, and they knew me.

They wouldn't accept a deposit until they had a time frame of when the Type R would be in. I followed up with my sales rep every month to see how it was going and if he had any new details. Around the end of May, I received a message from my sales rep saying that he moved to a different Honda Dealership in the area and would like to offer me the Type R at his new dealership for 5k over. I just ignored it and called and spoke with the manager at the original dealership. He told me he would have the owner reach out to me.

The owner called me the next day and told me that he didn't know what he was going to do with his Type R and that he was going to be asking for $45k. His reasoning was that he didn't want someone buying the car at MSRP and then turn around and sell it on ebay for more. That it hurt the dealerships when that happens. I was very direct with him and asked him if he really thought I was going to do that as I had been calling every month for over half a year. That he can look at my purchases at his dealership. He didn't care. He also said that he wasn't going to sell to anyone out of the County(I was currently living somewhere else, but visited family in the area often).

I ended up telling them to pound sand and also later found out that they sold it to someone in Southern California. I left a Yelp review for them, and it was taken down immediately. I will never recommend friends and family to that dealership again.
That is some pretty shady business there. Maybe that is why your sales rep moved.

Sounds like dealership's are still offering Type-R's for over MSRP.

My buddy loves them but about 5 dealership's in the area won't budge off the $5k or more over MSRP. He'd pay MSRP or a tad over but not $5k+ over.

Plenty of autotrader listings going for msrp around my parts, but who knows what will happen when you get to the dealership.

Back