DIY 2014-15 EX radio in your LX

fg3_colton

Tampa
Vehicle Model
Civic, LX
Body Style
Coupe
Let me first start by saying, this swap is not going to be one of the easiest. The hardest part is researching the correct model for your vehicle. Please, take your time and dont rush. Now, onto the fun stuff!

Background information: I completed this swap on my LX, non premium audio civic.

VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION: In order for this swap to be successful you will need to make sure to find any touch screen unit that DID NOT come from a civic equipped with the premium audio. You can figure this out by looking at the back of the unit (Assuming pictures are present in the ad, which they should be. If not, dont buy it lol) The area circled in blue is the connector for the premium audio amp. If the unit you are looking at has this connector, IT WILL NOT WORK. And by not work, i mean you wont have any audio at all. So please, pay close attention.
IMG_1017_LI.jpg Another thing, make sure the seller you are buying from includes the VIN from the old vehicle, you will need this to get the security code for your new unit, along with the serial number of the unit itself. Without either one of those numbers, your new unit will be basically useless. LKQ is very good about this, id order from their ebay page if possible. The code retrieval is very easy and takes about 5 seconds and is also free, you can find it here: https://radio-navicode.honda.com/ Just click the "Get Codes" tab and input the information required. They will also send you an email with the code, vin and serial number of your unit, id recommend keeping that email. Now, one more bit of information. Not everything is going to work right out of the box. So far what i found to not work is the Bluetooth phone controls on the steering wheel (the three buttons on the bottom of the wheel itself), as well as some pages on the i-mid that have now gone blank. Like the audio information page for example. That one is not a huge deal because the radio will display that information. The USB in the center console will also no longer work for Audio. Itll work for information transfer, but not for Audio or Ipod/Iphone interface. I also wouldn't even bother setting up the clock, it doesnt seem to remember the time once the car is turned off. If I figure out a fix to this, ill be sure to update the thread accordingly. The clock on the Imid still works perfectly fine btw.

What you'll need:

Assorted philips heads in both head size and length. As well as an 8MM, its optional but keep it close by just in case. Trim removal tools. Finally, patience! This is a tedious swap, involving bolts that wont cooperate. Take your time and try to remain calm.

First step:

Open the little door under the radio, go ahead and remove the two screws circled in blue. Then, gently pull out using the area circled in red.
20180321_182104_LI (2).jpg
Step two:

Once that little storage area is removed, move onto the two screws shown in blue
20180321_182409(1)_LI.jpg One those screws are removed, youre basically halfway there.

Step three:

Take your phone and turn on the front facing camera, look for two silver 8MM/philips head bolts. These are what hold in the radio, but be careful, they are screwed in with what seems like the force of god himself and strip very easy. They are also naturally rounded on the corners making sockets just slip off. Go slow with a philips head first then move onto the socket as a last resort.

Step four:

Once those screws are out, take your trim removal tool and gently start prying the old radio out. Its gonna be a pain but itll come out with some force. Once the radio is slightly pulled out, start removing the connectors in this order, HVAC, Hazard/Emergency lights, Then all the radio plugs. Its important to remove the HVAC and Hazards first because they will allow you to pull the radio out more to get to the other connectors.

Step five (Optional depending on the unit you purchased)

My unit did not come with the HVAC controls, which is fine because I was easily able to swap in my old ones. Simply remove the screws in the circled areas to remove it.
20180321_205724_LI.jpg Step 6:
Once your new radio is ready for installation, go ahead and start by putting the car in Neutral (if its an automatic) and slowly work it in. Plug in the radio connectors first and do the Hazards and HVAC last. Screw in the bolts and youre good to go! Itll ask for the security code when it powers on for the first time, but if you followed my instructions earler on how to retrieve it, you should have no problems!

Please feel free to contact me, or reply to this thread if you have any questions!

Last edited:
I have a LX too and swapped with a EX radio. Out of the 4 factory harness that plugs into the radio, only 3 plugs into the new radio. Is that the same for you? What is the last harness used for?

I have a LX too and swapped with a EX radio. Out of the 4 factory harness that plugs into the radio, only 3 plugs into the new radio. Is that the same for you? What is the last harness used for?
The last harness is for the LX Bluetooth module. The LX Headunit doesn't have a built in Bluetooth module, it sits somewhere behind the dash. The EX headunit does have a built in Bluetooth module. That harness also communicates to the imid. Hence why some screens are blank now with the new radio.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

I see! I followed your guide and successfully swapped my radio. Any chance you look into bringing more functionality to the head unit like the phone answer/reject buttons and even HDMI? Thanks anyway the touchscreen radio makes my car much better than the stock one that came on the LX

I see! I followed your guide and successfully swapped my radio. Any chance you look into bringing more functionality to the head unit like the phone answer/reject buttons and even HDMI? Thanks anyway the touchscreen radio makes my car much better than the stock one that came on the LX
I don't care too much about the phone buttons, but I want to use the HDMI. Found this adapter on eBay and see if that works
0d0784e168877ea2d2d87e02c3109b76.jpg

Thanks for the awesome guide. I was able to install a touchscreen from a EX in my 2014 LX. My only question if you know a way to make to audio over bluetooth work. I was able to connect my phona and answer calls but when trying to connect to play audio through the system, it says it can’t find the device and to check Bluetooth settings. Any idea how to fix this? Or any alternative to play music from my phone to to the car?
Thanks!!

I actually haven't had this issue. Bluetooth works perfectly for me, if possible, could you send me a video of your problem? I'll also need to know what phone you have and what Civic your unit came from!
Thanks for the awesome guide. I was able to install a touchscreen from a EX in my 2014 LX. My only question if you know a way to make to audio over bluetooth work. I was able to connect my phona and answer calls but when trying to connect to play audio through the system, it says it can’t find the device and to check Bluetooth settings. Any idea how to fix this? Or any alternative to play music from my phone to to the car?
Thanks!!

I actually haven't had this issue. Bluetooth works perfectly for me, if possible, could you send me a video of your problem? I'll also need to know what phone you have and what Civic your unit came from!

I fixed it! Had to reset phone and disconnect and connect Bluetooth again and now it works!
Thanks!,,

Will this adapter allow to play music from your phona via usb?
Yes depending on what phone you have. Android does not support audio over USB with this particular Headunit. If you have an iPhone though, you're in luck!

Yes depending on what phone you have. Android does not support audio over USB with this particular Headunit. If you have an iPhone though, you're in luck!

Great! I have an iPhone so I’ll probably order one of those!

Did you end up buying this from that website, ive been considering it but they wont let me use Paypal and id really not like to have my credit card information stolen lol
Not that it can’t happen, but aliexpress is an enormous company.

Not that it can’t happen, but aliexpress is an enormous company.
That makes me feel a little better, im actually on my way to the store right now to buy a prepaid visa card just in case though. Ive just never heard of this company before

Yeah I bought it successfully, shipped to California in 7-10 days, works 100%. I would recommend it, i just used my normal CC.

Yeah I bought it successfully, shipped to California in 7-10 days, works 100%. I would recommend it, i just used my normal CC.
Phew. Ok good, bought it earlier today. Might even buy the covers for them that would go by the cigarette lighter

Back