Clutch/Transmission Issues!

TechJohnson

Pennsylvania
Vehicle Model
FB6
Body Style
Sedan
Hey everyone, I need some guidance cause my hands are tied behind my back here.

I have a 2015 Civic Si

I recently purchased a new Exedy clutch and rear mount and had it installed at my buddies shop which is 4 hours from home. During the installation, he put 5w-30 Mobile 1 in my trans instead of MTF - red flag one.

On my 4 hour journey home, I noticed a throw out bearing sound but quickly brushed it off thinking it was just the upgraded flywheel. Shortly after, when I was cruising in 5th gear around 40-45mph, it would just randomly pop into neutral. I thought it was the shift linkage rubbing on my HPS intake heatshield so I just avoided 5th gear until I got home to remove heatshield.

2 and a half hours into my trip home, I was just hanging out in 6th gear at 70mph when all of a sudden, the car falls on its face and catches itself. Then does it again and TPMS System flashed and my entire dash went crazy. I put the peddle down and the RPMs were just dropping.

As I was pulling over, the slower I got, I could hear my car whining at me from my clutch/transmission area. I came to a complete stop and shut off the car all the way. Gave it a second and when I went to restart the car, it wouldn't start. Would continue to crank and crank. Awesome

2 hours from home, I had to get a tow to my house which was expensive, after just installing a new clutch.

While we were loading the car onto the tow truck, I had to sit in the car and push the clutch in. Even when the car was in neutral, it wasn't rolling. Would only roll if the car was in neutral AND I have the clutch pressed in.

When I got home, I tried to go through the gears since I didn't do that on the side of the road. The car will NOT go into 1-4, goes into 5, 6 and reverse. However, if I try to push the car in these gears, it goes nowhere. I HAVE to be in neutral WITH clutch pressed in to roll car.

So, now I'm not sure what the best plan of action is. Is my transmission broken? Clutch popped cause failed install? Oil seized my trans? Why won't car start?

The only thing done to the car is intake, flashpro, 4 bar map sensor and now this clutch which i assume is shot already.

Did you drive home with mobil1 in the trans, or how did you find out he used mobil1? Aftermarket clutches/flywheels can make the car go into limp mode if the weight is different from oem. Hondata has an option for disabling the errors on aftermarket clutches.

similar story of issues in 5th after a new install -
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/2...clutch-and-every-cel-imaginable-lit-up.13550/

Is the linkage bent/caught like you thought around your intake shield?

You've got a lot going on there. Did you talk to the mechanic who installed the clutch about the situation?

Did you try jacking up the front and seeing if you can freely spin the front tires, or jack up the rear and see if you can spin the rear?

Sounds like a bad install to me. Either something has come loose or was installed incorrectly. You will need to pull the trans and see what is going on.

Motor oil can be used temporarily in place of mtf. That did not cause your issues.

As webby said, whatflywheel was used? Lightweight flywheel will throw a check engine light but your issues seem mechanical to me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Did you drive home with mobil1 in the trans, or how did you find out he used mobil1? Aftermarket clutches/flywheels can make the car go into limp mode if the weight is different from oem. Hondata has an option for disabling the errors on aftermarket clutches.

similar story of issues in 5th after a new install -
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/2...clutch-and-every-cel-imaginable-lit-up.13550/

Is the linkage bent/caught like you thought around your intake shield?

You've got a lot going on there. Did you talk to the mechanic who installed the clutch about the situation?

Did you try jacking up the front and seeing if you can freely spin the front tires, or jack up the rear and see if you can spin the rear?

Sounds like a bad install to me. Either something has come loose or was installed incorrectly. You will need to pull the trans and see what is going on.

Motor oil can be used temporarily in place of mtf. That did not cause your issues.

As webby said, whatflywheel was used? Lightweight flywheel will throw a check engine light but your issues seem mechanical to me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yes, I drove home with the mobile 1 and watched them put it in, as well as had a full discussion. It's an aftermarket flywheel that came with the Exedy kit. They disabled what needed to be disabled with my Flashpro, so that's a non-issue, at least to my knowledge.

As far as I can tell, the linkage looks fine. However, when I moved the gearbox in neutral to the left, the linkage closest to the block does not move forward like it's supposed to.

I have not jacked up the car to check for wheel movement, but shouldn't have too, right? Car ONLY rolls when gearbox is in neutral AND the clutch HAS to be pressed in. Even when I'm able to get the car into 5,6 and reverse, the car won't roll, EVEN with clutch pressed. Interesting, right?

The mechanic has been telling me to do certain things, but I think it's to delay them coming to pick up my car to fix it since I'm so far from their shop...but I can't pull the trans in my garage...nor do I have that extent of mechanical knowledge. If it's beyond basic things, I'm not touching it. Maybe it's my time to learn?

Still doesn't make sense as to why my car won't start. I pulled the spark plugs and they are all bone dry. Failed fuel pump thrown in the mix?

I mean you could check all the engine bay fuses and under dash fuses. I don’t know if a ground wire from the trans would be enough for it to not start? Starter wiring tight?

The reason for me saying about trying to rotate wheels was more in regards to seeing if the emergency brakes were being locked up. I didn’t know if your rear wheels would spinning freely. I didn’t realize it wouldn’t roll in 5/6 with the clutch pressed too, but would in neutral (with clutch in). Seems like your trans needs dropped to inspect the clutch, and that should be on the mechanic who installed it.

Was just reading your other thread about the cell. How exactly did you burn threw a clutch already?

Was just reading your other thread about the cell. How exactly did you burn threw a clutch already?

I wanted to upgrade the clutch personal, no real reason. The stock clutch was a bit born when we took it out and two of the springs were loose, but still had a few thousand miles left I'm sure. Just wanted to upgrade for myself.

I mean you could check all the engine bay fuses and under dash fuses. I don’t know if a ground wire from the trans would be enough for it to not start? Starter wiring tight?

The reason for me saying about trying to rotate wheels was more in regards to seeing if the emergency brakes were being locked up. I didn’t know if your rear wheels would spinning freely. I didn’t realize it wouldn’t roll in 5/6 with the clutch pressed too, but would in neutral (with clutch in). Seems like your trans needs dropped to inspect the clutch, and that should be on the mechanic who installed it.
With two jack stands and a jack, would I be able to successfully pull everything without power tools? I know how to work on cars, I'd say I'm intermediate to more advanced, but I've never personally done a complete clutch or trans removal, let alone a reinstall. lol

Honestly, think I'm going to pick up some jack stands and just take everything apart myself. Will save me a lot of money in labor and it's great to learn. My wife and I have another vehicle so it's not an issue. With that said, this post will probably stay active with idiotic questions from myself.

Hmm, interesting find.

Decided to plug in my OBII scanner to see what codes I'm reading. Here they are:

P0122
P0222
P0113
P2122
P0102
P0641

All these are related to throttle and intake side of things. Bad throttle body? Bad ground going to ECU? Popped fuse (if so, which fuse would that even be)?

Check for any pinched wires maybe .Are the tps and iat connectors interchangeable?

I bet all the sensors throwing the codes use the same 5 volt reference which should help finding the problem. A wiring diagram would be helpful.

I searched all those dtcs real quick and a couple are for the accel pedal, iat, tps and map or maf .all related to the 5 volt reference. I have a hard time believing the clutch is the issue with this but I could be wrong .

Also .the old clutch was probably fine .The springs can be a little loose and a clutch can last the life of the vehicle if its driven normal .my last civic was a 99 with 260k kms with the original clutch.

I haven’t watched this in full, but what I saw seemed pretty easy to follow if you have the tools needed. He mentions he has the diy on dropping the subframe on his channel as well. Maybe take a look and see if this scares you.

View: https://youtu.be/axaEwVRoXII

Check for any pinched wires maybe .Are the tps and iat connectors interchangeable?

I bet all the sensors throwing the codes use the same 5 volt reference which should help finding the problem. A wiring diagram would be helpful.

I searched all those dtcs real quick and a couple are for the accel pedal, iat, tps and map or maf .all related to the 5 volt reference. I have a hard time believing the clutch is the issue with this but I could be wrong .

Also .the old clutch was probably fine .The springs can be a little loose and a clutch can last the life of the vehicle if its driven normal .my last civic was a 99 with 260k kms with the original clutch.

I'm a hard driver who modifies anyway, so clutch was going to be upgraded regardless. Especially since I plan to turbo. :P
As for the issue with not starting, electrical is WAY out of my knowledge. Just hoping my ECU isn't fried.

I haven’t watched this in full, but what I saw seemed pretty easy to follow if you have the tools needed. He mentions he has the diy on dropping the subframe on his channel as well. Maybe take a look and see if this scares you.

View: https://youtu.be/axaEwVRoXII

I've watch both his sub frame drop and this clutch install. As for being scared, with anything I'm unfamiliar with, I'm a bit nervous but at the end of the day, this specific task doesn't seem hard, just more of a tedious job. Going to definitely weigh my options. Could potential save LOADS of money if I open up and let's say my throw out bearing moved or something silly. But that doesn't solve the mystery of not starting.

I just find it extremely strange the car would have a mechanical problem AND electrical problem at LITERALLY the same time. I'm so lost.

The starter wiring may have become disconnected during the drive if it wasn’t tight? Still...the mechanic should be dealing with it seeing as how you didn’t even make it home. You shouldn’t be on the hook for dropping the trans.

Really don't think you have to drop the trans just yet .Just do a visual of the wire harness .

The starter wiring may have become disconnected during the drive if it wasn’t tight? Still...the mechanic should be dealing with it seeing as how you didn’t even make it home. You shouldn’t be on the hook for dropping the trans.

If the starter wiring disconnected during the drive, would the car even try to crank? The car tries to crank when I push the button and clutch like normal, just never completely turns over. Also, the starter wouldn't impact the mechanical issue, right?

Really don't think you have to drop the trans just yet .Just do a visual of the wire harness .

Wire harness appears fine from my visual.

The people who worked on the car are trying to help, but anytime I mention them coming to get the vehicle, they literally don't respond and act like I never said anything about it. Feels like they are walking around the issue so they don't have to fix it.

Clear the codes and see what ones come back right away. To me it sounds like two issues .

Clear the codes and see what ones come back right away. To me it sounds like two issues .
Cleared all codes and they all came back instantly. Figured it was possibly a corrupt file on the flashpro, so I put on a stock reflash with the 4bar map sensor and misfire detection off for the lightweight flywheel and nothing.

Back