Official 'What did you do to your car today?' Thread

Blech...a dry bitter white!? ;)

Not sure what you've tried; unfortunately states outside California don't get much of a choice when it comes to white. As something available nationwide, Kendall Jackson will occasionally have a drinkable white, or Costco's similar "Kirkland" brand for a mere $7.00.... a decent daily drinker. To you those might only be semi-blech. Just how much of a snob are you anyway? :bananapoke:

But for a special occasion or to satisfy the truly refined palates a person would need to move up the price ladder to at least $20 - $40 for something like a Rombauer Chardonnay. (And reds are more, as you know!) If a person doesn't like Rombauer they just don't like whites, period. (Taste buds destroyed after years of white lightning?)

Just bought a case of Wente Riva Ranch Chard I like real well... and a relative bargain at $15.

For the record, California has over 3600 wineries, about 1/2 of all wineries in the country. The selection is pretty amazing. I definitely prefer Napa Valley as opposed to Central or Southern California wines. The soil and growing seasons are completely different. You'd probably go for Alexander Valley estate reds. Generally more complex and sophisticated. And granted, an expensive red will out-class an expensive white all day, every day. But like my daily driver, my daily drinker needs to be affordable too.

Are there any particular brands you've consistently liked?

The family owned Barra Winery (tasting room pictured below) in Ukiah, CA where we have our Christmas gathering every year.
TastingroomInside.JPG

My crosstrek is a cvt. It is weird not having a third pedal, but I'm really enjoying it overall. I can't wait to hit some trails

Me? I'm too analog for that stuff. Sure, I understand "advancements" are inevitable, even electric cars might be. I'll cave at some point, if i'm still alive. But for now i'm going to enjoy shifting as long as humanly possible. I ain't dead yet. (Not saying you are)

Even my 85-year old father-in-law AND my 80-year mother-in-law still drive my Si. Maybe not like i do... but it always puts a smile on my face when they do.

@squiggy --- i happen to have a Hasport rear motor mount, purchased when i got a Full Race DP. Haven't put it on yet. Have been hearing conflicting stories about excessive shaking at idle, some say bad, others say not so bad.... though the good part it does keep the engine/tranny aligned perfectly during hard, high-RPM shifting.

What's your take... can you verify any of that?

If you've already addressed the issue a link would be great... thx.

Me? I'm too analog for that stuff. Sure, I understand "advancements" are inevitable, even electric cars might be. I'll cave at some point, if i'm still alive. But for now i'm going to enjoy shifting as long as humanly possible. I ain't dead yet. (Not saying you are)

Even my 85-year old father-in-law AND my 80-year mother-in-law still drive my Si. Maybe not like i do... but it always puts a smile on my face when they do.
Subaru's cvt is different than the one in my wife's pathfinder. The pathfinder just stays at a certain rpm and then when you get to cruising speed, it settles. Subaru on the other hand has theirs go through preset "gears" then settles at cruising speed. I can also row through the "gears" with the paddle shifters and they aren't terrible. Not what i would call sporty, but not totally dead either. All in all I'm really enjoying the crosstrek. An now that I'm past the break in period we will see what happens

@squiggy --- i happen to have a Hasport rear motor mount, purchased when i got a Full Race DP. Haven't put it on yet. Have been hearing conflicting stories about excessive shaking at idle, some say bad, others say not so bad.... though the good part it does keep the engine/tranny aligned perfectly during hard, high-RPM shifting.

I know this was aimed at Squiggy but I have the Hasport 62a RMM with my Full Race DP. I did notice an increase in vibrations at idle. Not real bad though. Notice it even more when the air conditioner is running though. But if it doesn't annoy my wife, which I really thought it would, it can't be that bad.

Ive heard the hondas CVT is a little too springy for a lot of people, something about the band they have running between the variable cones flexing too much under load.
What im looking forward to Honda developing more is the 8spd DCT they put in the 4cyl TLX, nice fast shifts, responds when you tell it to but can settle down and be appropriately smooth too. Its apparently a true dct but also works in line with a torque converter. Unfortunately its not included with the 3.5 cars, rumors it cant handle the torque yet. the 9spd zf is ok, i wish it could skip gears on downshifts, waiting for it to come down from 9 to 4th on the highway for a passing maneuver is a little annoying, got it up to 32mpg by the time I hit college station, cruising at 80-85 the whole way.
IMG_2390.jpeg

Vibration is a bit rough until it breaks in. Afterwards, it is not really noticeable unless the AC kicks on or moving from a dead stop. I recently added the top mount as well. It reduced some of the vibration in both those situations.

Not sure what you've tried; unfortunately states outside California don't get much of a choice when it comes to white. As something available nationwide, Kendall Jackson will occasionally have a drinkable white, or Costco's similar "Kirkland" brand for a mere $7.00.... a decent daily drinker. To you those might only be semi-blech. Just how much of a snob are you anyway? :bananapoke:

But for a special occasion or to satisfy the truly refined palates a person would need to move up the price ladder to at least $20 - $40 for something like a Rombauer Chardonnay. (And reds are more, as you know!) If a person doesn't like Rombauer they just don't like whites, period. (Taste buds destroyed after years of white lightning?)

Just bought a case of Wente Riva Ranch Chard I like real well... and a relative bargain at $15.

For the record, California has over 3600 wineries, about 1/2 of all wineries in the country. The selection is pretty amazing. I definitely prefer Napa Valley as opposed to Central or Southern California wines. The soil and growing seasons are completely different. You'd probably go for Alexander Valley estate reds. Generally more complex and sophisticated. And granted, an expensive red will out-class an expensive white all day, every day. But like my daily driver, my daily drinker needs to be affordable too.

Are there any particular brands you've consistently liked?

The family owned Barra Winery (tasting room pictured below) in Ukiah, CA where we have our Christmas gathering every year.
TastingroomInside.JPG

I actually drink both red and white. Just not a fan of dry wines. Chardonnay and Pinot Noir are a no go for me if that gives you an idea. I tend to stick to medium to sweet and occasionally a very sweet. I love ice wine...my wallet does not.

As far as brands, I try not to drink the same thing twice. There are just too many options out there.

I have both on my car, FR DP & RMM, never had an issue with anything hitting or excessive vibrations. The worst of it is when sitting at idle with the AC going; anytime the compressor is running it makes the steering wheel shake a tiny bit. But if I'm in that situation I'm not usually holding the wheel (sitting in my car during break, etc). While driving it has never been noticeable. It definitely makes a huge difference when driving the car hard though, much less play in the bay equated to less wheel hop.

I have the rest of the mounts sitting here waiting to be put on too. Just haven't had the time to get them in yet.

And I like your taste in wine, sir.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Lubed up the retaining bolt and threads on the camber arms. I see why the tech was concerned, the retaining bolts were already getting rusty and they have only been on since the summer. Got one last hand wash in while I had the chance too.

I know this was aimed at Squiggy but I have the Hasport 62a RMM with my Full Race DP. I did notice an increase in vibrations at idle. Not real bad though. Notice it even more when the air conditioner is running though. But if it doesn't annoy my wife, which I really thought it would, it can't be that bad.

I have both on my car, FR DP & RMM, never had an issue with anything hitting or excessive vibrations. The worst of it is when sitting at idle with the AC going; anytime the compressor is running it makes the steering wheel shake a tiny bit. But if I'm in that situation I'm not usually holding the wheel (sitting in my car during break, etc). While driving it has never been noticeable. It definitely makes a huge difference when driving the car hard though, much less play in the bay equated to less wheel hop.

I have the rest of the mounts sitting here waiting to be put on too. Just haven't had the time to get them in yet.

And I like your taste in wine, sir.

_________
Hey @PainlessCandy, thanks for the extensive report. Seems to be consensus when it comes to A/C induced vibrations ... and the definite upside of having better control at high RPM.

By the way, as a Laker fan I was never into Lebron. But i am learning to appreciate some of his more subtle abilities, like passing. Or the fact that he keeps himself incredibly fit and might actually be worth something at the end of his 4-year contract (provided he opts in) But i'm kind'a old school and wish players would stay put in a little more, like they used to. Magic, Kareem... then Kobe, were all like that... loyal to the franchise and city. Maybe i'll get used to him wearing the L.A. uni... but it ain't happening yet.

I actually drink both red and white. Just not a fan of dry wines. Chardonnay and Pinot Noir are a no go for me if that gives you an idea. I tend to stick to medium to sweet and occasionally a very sweet. I love ice wine...my wallet does not.

As far as brands, I try not to drink the same thing twice. There are just too many options out there.
Is that paper towel roll serving any purpose?

Back