Does your Si burn oil?

Does your Si burn oil?

• Yes

Votes: 44 54.3%
  • No

Votes: 37 45.7%

• Total voters
Others have had to fight to get the repair done as well. At least you got it dealt with.

My 2012 civic si i bought in september of 2015 is going to the dealer tommorow my vin falls in the range @701366 this place does have a good rep. And gave me a smoking deal on this car i couldnt resist. Ive had my oil changed give or take every 3k miles and recently started noticing that my oil light has been flashing while taking turns etc. My dipstick registered at below the dot when i checked it after a day of annoyance and an 8 hour work day (thinking it could be a faulty sensor or something idk) and there was absolutely no oil. Now ive been ripping this car but nothing excessive i have fun. Its completely stock everything with 44k miles on it. The dealer gave me a new car warranty for this used car and according to my warrant im covered through my dealer @10 years or 100k miles for drivetrain.
And my honda booklet even says its under factory warranty until 5 or 60k whichever first
Im just worried what they will try to bullshit me into because im a young 19 year old kid who barely knows anything about cars and who bought it himself (no mom no dad)
Now if they try telling me some bullish im gonna bog this ***** out in 6th gear straight through their doors. So hopefully they give me no issues and i will update tommorow

My 2012 civic si i bought in september of 2015 is going to the dealer tommorow my vin falls in the range @701366 this place does have a good rep. And gave me a smoking deal on this car i couldnt resist. Ive had my oil changed give or take every 3k miles and recently started noticing that my oil light has been flashing while taking turns etc. My dipstick registered at below the dot when i checked it after a day of annoyance and an 8 hour work day (thinking it could be a faulty sensor or something idk) and there was absolutely no oil. Now ive been ripping this car but nothing excessive i have fun. Its completely stock everything with 44k miles on it. The dealer gave me a new car warranty for this used car and according to my warrant im covered through my dealer @10 years or 100k miles for drivetrain.
And my honda booklet even says its under factory warranty until 5 or 60k whichever first
Im just worried what they will try to bullshit me into because im a young 19 year old kid who barely knows anything about cars and who bought it himself (no mom no dad)
Now if they try telling me some bullish im gonna bog this ***** out in 6th gear straight through their doors. So hopefully they give me no issues and i will update tommorow
If your VIN falls in the range of the TSB you should have no problems getting the dealership to replace the piston rings.
If they give you any pushback then contact Honda head office and let them know about what you are experiencing.

Our 'Si was within the S/N range but we've had no issues in 50,000 miles. Worst consumption was 1 qt. during the first 7,800 miles.
Were you burning oil before this episode? Even though your '12 is in the s/n range for TSB A12-069, Honda has a process that you'll likely have to go through to measure/document consumption. If they require you to do it, I believe you have to use a qt. in less than 1000 miles - that's ridiculous, but depending on how many miles you've put on the car you may have to run by their rules.
Lesson learned - never ignore a significant warning light unless you've verified it's faulty. Your write-up indicates you ignored the light even after noting you were low on oil. The k24 engine is difficult to mistreat but you have to keep everything within spec.

They'll likely make you do an oil consumption test. They'll do an oil change, mark your mileage, and have you come back in 1k miles to see where it is at. Most dealerships have been telling customers it can burn 1quart per 1k miles. Some dealerships have been better and done the repairs needed without it burning that much.

My 12 FG4 burns oil. No leaks but oil disappears. I run 5000 miles between oil changes. Have had nothing but royal purple since 2000. Check oil EVERY fuel up and after every 1500-2000 miles it's a quart low. Do they put rings on these things? She has 80,000miles and I'll rebuild at 100. I plan to sleeve block at that point.

My 12 FG4 burns oil. No leaks but oil disappears. I run 5000 miles between oil changes. Have had nothing but royal purple since 2000. Check oil EVERY fuel up and after every 1500-2000 miles it's a quart low. Do they put rings on these things? She has 80,000miles and I'll rebuild at 100. I plan to sleeve block at that point.
Is your vin part of the tsb?

Service Bulletin 12-069, October 23, 2012

Excessive Engine Oil Consumption

Applies To:
2012 Civic Si 2-Door – From VIN 2HGFG4A...H700001 thru 2HGFG4A...H703398
2012 Civic Si 4-Door – From VIN 2HGFB6E...H700001 thru 2HGFB6E...H703802

SYMPTOM
The engine oil level is low on the dipstick, and the low
oil pressure indicator may come on.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Replace all the engine pistons and the piston rings.

has any 2013 Honda si have this oil burning problem-so far I have seen none!????/

this thread should be updated and include the year of the SI! on the survey!

So bottom line the problem was fixed in 2013,2014,2015 should not be burning oil. To me this extremely important-I hate oil buner car's- this looks like 2012 is a real defective car if 51% of them have crappie engines.

So bottom line the problem was fixed in 2013,2014,2015 should not be burning oil. To me this extremely important-I hate oil buner car's- this looks like 2012 is a real defective car if 51% of them have crappie engines.
40 people voted in that poll. I would wager I saw maybe 5 or 6 users actually get their pistons replaced due to oil issues. Hardly a failed engine. They sold around 30-35k civics a month on average.

Well I guess the engine problem wasn't in every motor-what actually failed-quality control problem?

so later in year the 2012 were ok, looks like they fixed it fast as Honda could. I would never want a 2012 model just too many screw ups but price is always the winner.

If I bought a oil burner car brand new and they told me its normal to burn a lot of oil-I would drain some oil out and just blow up the motor doping some vtec 7100 rpm runs Ha Ha to get a new engine on them, butt luckily I have a 2013 which doesn't burn oil-some would be normal. The first thing I did was check the oil-it was perfect and the oil minder was at 80%,tire rotation A1. I hate my local dodge dealer-highest car parts any where. ops pickup truck in the ditch on its side- all ways someone going to fast with lousy tires on my road-get out the pop corn and candy!

Last edited:
Back