squiggy

Cartographer
VIP Member
Michiana
Vehicle Model
Toyota MR2 Spyder
Body Style
Convertible
The redesigned 2020 Chevrolet Corvette's new engine is reportedly so powerful that it's compromising the vehicle's structural integrity in testing, causing General Motors to delay the car's reveal, according to an industry report.

Sports car fans have been anxiously awaiting the debut of the eighth generation of the Corvette, which got its last total overhaul with the 2014 Corvette Stingray.

But the 2019 Detroit auto show, which would have provided a major global stage for the vehicle's unveiling, came and went in January with no reveal.

What gives?

Well, it sounds like GM engineers are scrambling to get the vehicle ready for prime time, in part because they made it so powerful that the vehicle is bumping up against physical limitations.

Classic-car insurer Hagerty reports that a Corvette prototype with a twin-turbocharged, 8-cylinder engine is generating 900 to 1,000 horsepower and is causing a "structural distortion of the aluminum spaceframe" during tests.

"The twist in back was enough to fracture the glass hatch covering the engine," Hagerty reports. "Be glad this flaw was discovered in advance of your top speed runs in Chevy’s designated Ferrari-beater."

At those speeds, the new "C8" sports car would be faster than the 2019 ZR1 performance model, which GM has bragged is the fastest-ever 'Vette at a top speed of 210 miles per hour.

2019 Corvette ZR1 tops 210 mph

636461600332730549-2019-Chevrolet-Corvette-ZR1-001.jpg

GM representatives did not respond to requests for comment.

The Corvette is widely expected to debut as a 2020 model.

The current version ranges in price from $55,495 to $128,900.

Hagerty estimated that the redesigned model will start in the range of $60,000 to $70,000 and get a 6.2-liter, 8-cylinder engine with at least 500 horsepower, which would be about 50 more than the current base version.

eats too much gas as you add power, I would rather have the 2013 Si that has been getting over 30+ mpg-just a show off car-drive a few miles then sell it-DD beats everything-because you actually can use it, m y srt-4 is much faster but useless in DD unless
your into torcher and pain. Adding so much power also eats a lot of gas-I don't like spending money on extra gas- amine reason to switching from srt-4 to Honda-like that high rpm and tq the 2.4 puts out-useable power with gas mileage is for me LOL! Cheap is me! I am very impress by the 2013 si -I really like this huge 2 dr car-4 dr tiny doors LOL-too much fun= next mod Italian tires.

Last edited:
mpg- out of my price range-don't care about this over priced piece of junk

Oil prices hit a yearly High price today- I don't think we need any more gas hogs with big ego's.

roughly $100/barrel under the cost of oil in 2008 (without inflation).

As for "gas hogs", there are WAY worse vehicles than the corvette. Those vehicles have way less power than the corvette as well. The current vette even does cylinder deactivation to help mpg.

6.2liter v8 engine 3.7sec to 60mph
16 city / 25 highway

how many cars get 25mpg highway and do 3.7 to 60?

want a fancy fun car get a great handling Lotus-fun to squeeze into a car seat-

Oil prices hit a yearly High price today- I don't think we need any more gas hogs with big ego's.

There has only been 3 months so far this year... lol

want a fancy fun car get a great handling Lotus-fun to squeeze into a car seat-

I remember the Lotus Elise back in the day. Why would anyone want to put a car seat in a Lotus? :rotfl:

You forget this is a civic forum- nobody here has the money to buy a $100,000+ car and even be able to pay enough money to run it would cost the price of a civic for a year.:brock:
a rare hyper:hyper: car went down my road-cost start for those around a few hundred thousand up to well over a million, so I guess the vette is a bargain if you look at it on just speed. Looks to me like a dangerous rat trap-they even said the frame might snap-ya great car to die in :flame:LOL!. You wear a Lotus.:banana whip2:

You forget this is a civic forum- nobody here has the money to buy a $100,000+ car and even be able to pay enough money to run it would cost the price of a civic for a year.:brock:
a rare hyper:hyper: car went down my road-cost start for those around a few hundred thousand up to well over a million, so I guess the vette is a bargain if you look at it on just speed. Looks to me like a dangerous rat trap-they even said the frame might snap-ya great car to die in :flame:LOL!. You wear a Lotus.:banana whip2:

You would be surprised at how many of us could afford a $100k car.

This is a Civic forum? I must be lost... :eek:

Also I see someone found the Smilies button :rotfl:

You would be surprised at how many of us could afford a $100k car.

True. Most of us would rather spend that $100k elsewhere though ;)
Yes, I would be:bananawhipdance: Lots of cheapskate's Here:spazface:

How did you know I was a cheapskate? :rotfl:

when I bought my srt-4, I was also looking at the 2006 Honda SI-but it was too expensive-the dodge ended up costing a lot more-its really a piece of **** except its real fast:driving:, I think the 2013 si is the best late model to me Honda-Scotty Kilmer-my Hero, like Honda's too and he is very picky with cars, rev that engine but don't do a smoky burn out bad for tires and car, leave that traction control on.

Back