2014 civic si Engine Light : Check Emissions System.

Hi there.

Need some help regarding my 2014 civic si.

I installed a Ktuned short ram intake on the car about a month ago and it has been
working great. Yesterday I went to change the air filter (cone) and replace it with a new one. Being very careful and making sure everything was fit perfect and no loose connections anywhere. I started the car.. and the car started to idle..low.... .. almost stalling, but than will pick back up to normal. giving it some gas will cause it to almost idle low.... sounds like its almost burping....checked everything out again and was still doing it, so I slept on it.

Woke up the next day (today 2019-04-08) and it was doing the same thing. Took it for a little drive, everything was fine. when I got back into my parking lot, and put it in neutral and sat there for a sec thinking what I should do.. the check engine light came on... giving me CHECK EMISSIONS SYSTEM.... Went out and Bought myself a good code reader and the code it gave me is.........

PO171
FUEL SYSTEM TOO LEAN B1
FUEL SYSTEM TOO LEAN.

i'm not very sure what my next move should be is... I know HONDA WILL charge me a arm and a leg... but can anyone tell me what this is exactly what I should Do?

thank you for your time and input folks.. i appreciate it. Photos are attached.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
You change the air intake-Honda doesn't like that, put old intake back on and see what happens.

Was the unit used when you got it? I’m trying to understand why you put a new cone filter on it if it was just a month old?

Was the unit used when you got it? I’m trying to understand why you put a new cone filter on it if it was just a month old?
We had bought a new filter and we went to check to see if it would fit, just curios and the intake was brand new from ktune

and to verify you have the 3", not the 3.5" pipe correct?
It looks like there are just a few connections. One hose clamp at the throttle body, one hose clamp at the pipe, and one hose clamp at the filter? Then it appears to have the hose running over to the valve cover with a hose clamp. That's all secured?

Still doing the same thing... Im thinking vac leak....
so you cleared the code... and reinstalled the factory intake/box and it threw the code again with everything back to oem?

and to verify you have the 3", not the 3.5" pipe correct?
It looks like there are just a few connections. One hose clamp at the throttle body, one hose clamp at the pipe, and one hose clamp at the filter? Then it appears to have the hose running over to the valve cover with a hose clamp. That's all secured?

so you cleared the code... and reinstalled the factory intake/box and it threw the code again with everything back to oem?

I do have the 3'' and yes I checked mulitple times

So what I did was i took off the cone to change it to see if it fit and it did, put the cone back on that orig came with the short ram intake
started the car and it idled funny and whatever.
put the OLD STOCK intake back in and cleared the code, nothing came from it, no code and was still idiling funny.
put the SHORTRAM intake back in.... no code.. still idiling weird....

no check engine light as of right now.
ran the code checker again and the code is still there, says its 'permanent"
i'm thinking maybe bad fuel injectors?

Last edited:
Did you get the 3" or 3.5" version? You car is more than likely running lean and needs to be turned. You can try unplugging the battery for and let it say unplug for awhile to see if that helps.

Did you get the 3" or 3.5" version? You car is more than likely running lean and needs to be turned. You can try unplugging the battery for and let it say unplug for awhile to see if that helps.
3'' short ram intake. I unplugged battery as well, nothing came from it.. I might just take it to a rep shop down my road.... but Would like to figure out what this is prior...

You could have gotten oil on the MAF so it is not reading properly.
Do you think that is causing the idling issue ?

is the car safe to drive until than? wont hurt the motor? it could be a vaccum leak, bad injectors... o2 sensor... anything

If it is in fact running lean I would not drive it much only to a shop. I would just go through and look at your vacuum lines and look at the MAF sensor to see if it looks wet or dirty.

Hi folks.
Took in the car today to my mechanic.

He did some tests on the car, scanners etc... and believes that it is the MAF sensor that needs to be replaced, and is why the car is running lean and throwing the code.

Have it booked for Monday.

Will post again following up to see if it fixed

Hi folks.
Took in the car today to my mechanic.

He did some tests on the car, scanners etc... and believes that it is the MAF sensor that needs to be replaced, and is why the car is running lean and throwing the code.

Have it booked for Monday.

Will post again following up to see if it fixed
Thanks for the update let us know how it turns out.

Thanks for the update let us know how it turns out.

No problem and thank you again for your help.

I bought a new Maf sensor from them and it costed me about 147.57$ for the sensor but I have to Wait until about Monday, they told me they could install an aftermarket sensor later today from my area but it will cost about 242.75$?????

I called Honda after I purchased the maf sensor from the the reputable shop, the exact same
One as mine. they told me they would have sold me a brand new maf sensor for 167.45$ So I guess I saved some money!?

The labour to check the vehicle turned out to be around 119.99$ They had the car for about 2 hours.

After everything said and done. 308.09 est.

Last edited:
sounds a bit expensive too me, One thing I would never mess with is the Honda air box-it happens to work extremely well, zero need to fool with. Funny thing my vfr motorcycle was the same way. Aftermarket air filter eaten by a chimp monk. The stock one has a steel mess in it that chip monk can't bite though.

Back