Tapping into steering wheel audio controls

Not Donnovan

I'm currently working on installing a raspberry pi running OpenAuto in my 2015 civic ex-l. I plan on installing it into the I-Mid and using a switch to swap between the Pi and the regular display. So my question is would it be possible to use the switch to also disable the steering wheel controls to the car and use those controls on the pi?

I’ve yet to see anyone install a pi. You’re kind of navigating into uncharted waters, so it’ll be interesting to see what you can do.

To the factory headunit, I would say no. To an aftermarket headunit it is possible.

Here is why,
You would have to buy 'Steering Wheel Control' kit to 'read' the button presses and send that signal to the headunit. IIRC it was 2 wires to the aftermarket headunit and to differentiate the the different button presses was the voltage being sent in the two wires. Say vol + was 1.5v, but pressing the menu button would only send .5v. This is how it works. The headunit 'reads' the voltage and you select what button you pressed on the steering wheel and select that button on the headunit

Heres how it is possible,
assuming the Rasberry Pi could read the signals, and the Steering Wheel Controller wiring is now split after the controller, one to Pi other to headunit
when you flip the switch to the Pi, you can also use relays or a micro processor to essentially cut the power to the headunit or Pi. Depending if Pi is on or off

This is the most diy project I’ve seen done with the imid.

http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/adexternals-imid-player-rca-add-on.7390/

This project was what I was going off of but another concern of mine was since the backup camera isn't hooked up to the imid I hope the wiring is still there for me to use. I'm kind of new to this type of stuff so I'm curious in what I can do too lol.

To the factory headunit, I would say no. To an aftermarket headunit it is possible.

Here is why,
You would have to buy 'Steering Wheel Control' kit to 'read' the button presses and send that signal to the headunit. IIRC it was 2 wires to the aftermarket headunit and to differentiate the the different button presses was the voltage being sent in the two wires. Say vol + was 1.5v, but pressing the menu button would only send .5v. This is how it works. The headunit 'reads' the voltage and you select what button you pressed on the steering wheel and select that button on the headunit

Heres how it is possible,
assuming the Rasberry Pi could read the signals, and the Steering Wheel Controller wiring is now split after the controller, one to Pi other to headunit
when you flip the switch to the Pi, you can also use relays or a micro processor to essentially cut the power to the headunit or Pi. Depending if Pi is on or off

Well that sucks, I didn't want to have to buy a whole new head unit so I guess I'll just have to buy a small USB remote to control it. All I'm really going to use it for is Google maps so I just need to get to that screen and bring up the search field everytime I need to enter a new destination.

I have a couple more ideas I might be able to use but it's going to take some testing before I can actually start on the install. I'll post an update when I finally get started.

Thanks.

what do you want to accomplish with the raspberry pi? what features do you want?

Have you considered a new headunit with Android Auto for about $400, I know it is more expensive then a building a PI. plus about $50 for the steering wheel controller.

Overall you will get a bigger and touch responsive screen (7"+)
Will look oem
possible better sound quality versus oem headunit
Some newer models have wireless android auto - no wire connection needed
plug and play to the car- no 'debugging' or 'making it work' like the PI

linky to the headunits, I have no affiliations to website but have used them in the past with no problems

what do you want to accomplish with the raspberry pi? what features do you want?

Have you considered a new headunit with Android Auto for about $400, I know it is more expensive then a building a PI. plus about $50 for the steering wheel controller.

Overall you will get a bigger and touch responsive screen (7"+)
Will look oem
possible better sound quality versus oem headunit
Some newer models have wireless android auto - no wire connection needed
plug and play to the car- no 'debugging' or 'making it work' like the PI

linky to the headunits, I have no affiliations to website but have used them in the past with no problems

My main goal is to have Google maps display on my iMID. I've thought about getting a new head unit instead but figured I'd have a little fun with a pi that's been laying around.
I already know how I'm going to wire everything up now so I'm not too worried about that, but the fact that I'm using a non-touch screen is making this a little more difficult.

Back