Amazon, Mobil 1 & Valvoline Oil Compared

black specks in bottle-this cannot be good

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-zUZySuLHU

Hello Bundy, Thank you for inviting us to respond. You are correct—the residue you identified at the bottom of your bottle is a very small amount of the additive package, which can drop out naturally during storage. While the residue is most likely to remain on the surface of the container, if it were to be poured into an engine during an oil change, it would not harm the engine. The motor oil in the bottle containing the residue continues to meet our quality standards and the specifications designated for Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic SAE 10W-30 Motor Oil, and delivers the performance outlined in our claims for this product. If you have further questions, please contact our Technical Services Hotline at 1-800-661-1771

=== 2nd rep from pen -

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. The detergent additives we use - and which are commonly used across the industry - contain a solid base material to neutralize acids formed in the oil during use. In order to stabilize the solid material in a liquid, a clever piece of chemistry is used....the solid is contained in a Micelle (which surrounds the solid base material with an oil soluble layer). These detergents are referred to as providing over basing. It is common during storage for a light sedimentation to occur as a small amount of the solid can drop out to the bottom of a sample. This is quite normal and harmless.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-zUZySuLHU

Hello Bundy, Thank you for inviting us to respond. You are correct—the residue you identified at the bottom of your bottle is a very small amount of the additive package, which can drop out naturally during storage. While the residue is most likely to remain on the surface of the container, if it were to be poured into an engine during an oil change, it would not harm the engine. The motor oil in the bottle containing the residue continues to meet our quality standards and the specifications designated for Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic SAE 10W-30 Motor Oil, and delivers the performance outlined in our claims for this product. If you have further questions, please contact our Technical Services Hotline at 1-800-661-1771

=== 2nd rep from pen -

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. The detergent additives we use - and which are commonly used across the industry - contain a solid base material to neutralize acids formed in the oil during use. In order to stabilize the solid material in a liquid, a clever piece of chemistry is used....the solid is contained in a Micelle (which surrounds the solid base material with an oil soluble layer). These detergents are referred to as providing over basing. It is common during storage for a light sedimentation to occur as a small amount of the solid can drop out to the bottom of a sample. This is quite normal and harmless.

"surrounds the solid base material" ... interesting. I thought it was the moly (or connected to moly, being a heavier solid) but this statement suggests it's connected to the base oil.

lead_720_405.png

I had no idea Bridgestone bought Firestone either. No wonder they push a lot of Bridgestone products at Firestone. I was also curious about the looks of the Potenza S-04 PP and Indy 500s have similar looks but a big price difference.

This is the point... the lubes are all so good these days. Better to change it more often than worry about the brand. Even then...so many oils are capable of 10k or more. Amazing. Thanks webmaster.
I never had car with a Honda engine like this, so its totally different effect on oil, seems tighter clearances use thinner oil, dodge motors use looser clearance's-oil doesn't last as long. You could go 10,000 of hwy driving easy. My driving just a few miles usually-that's extreme service maybe 5,000 or less.
The driver also has the biggest effect, joe hot rod or old smoking joe pocky, the tires are called firehawk indy 500 and they are very sticky soft tires which happen to ride real nice in size 225. tires absorb most of the shock from pot holes first. But beware I bet they would freeze up at 32 degrees for sure. the price point on the firehawks make them a good buy at 113$ + tax and shipping about $125. Michelin sports are just not worth the money for most people. $192 +tax and shipping that's over $200 each.

Last edited:
View attachment 59099

I had no idea Bridgestone bought Firestone either. No wonder they push a lot of Bridgestone products at Firestone. I was also curious about the looks of the Potenza S-04 PP and Indy 500s have similar looks but a big price difference.
_________
Yep... that's what is so great about 9th and entire "Web" Dynasty. We all learn. And that's why people stick around.

Anyway, one of Michelin's claim to fame is their proprietary production processes and in particular (in this case) the steel belts/cords that make for such extreme high speed stability. They're known for those.

Not sure if Michelin or anybody else could create such a stable high speed platform in Vietnam, so thought it was mostly done here in the U.S. Not sure.

Of course Vietnam contributes its tremendous natural resources, i.e., rubber, which is shipped to manufacturing facilities elsewhere. Where exactly those raw materials are shipped (except the U.S.) i'm not sure...

...for those interested, let's hear it... that's for extra credit!

@Bruce Bartlow I did get to do a little testing on the tires yesterday. I have to say comparing them to the Fuel economy tires they are 100x better.

I did a 1st gear WOT from 1,500 RPMs to 5k and and once I hit 4k I started to brake loose. I did the same in 2nd 1,500-7,000 and it held up well with a little chirping as boost picked up.

Next I really like to see how it holds up at the dragstrip. Since at the track it should hold up better.

don't think mpg is firehawks best attribute, but sticky tire yes indeed and soft riding which was a surprise. I imagine playing with the air pressure a bit would boost mpg. I tried 35 pds and though it was a bit too much then tried 34pds seem close to perfect maybe 34.5 might work ok. I have a fancy tire digital tire gauge and manual air pump every one should have these simple tools. Stock air pressure is 32 which isn't much. You put AS fuel economy tires next to the firehawks and its easy to see why they stick to the road like glue, there are two other tires I like also and they were giving rebates, about $80 -$100 less but still sticky summer tires. No reason to run AS in the summer time. AS is great for below 32 degrees when summer tires will freeze up as I did test that out once and yes you won't stay on the road with summer tires below 32:unamusedpopcorn: stock rims will fit this special size 225 45 17 94xl-extra load big difference from a 91sl small load. see pic

Attachments

• P1011339.JPG
    P1011339.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
Only reason I am comparing them to the Fuel fighter is those were the tires I was using before to have a higher mileage tire since I was not going to track my car for some time. Me personally I don't bother maximizing my fuel economy most of my driving is stop go anyway.

I noticed your firesHawks aren't 225, why would you not run that size instead of 215? and the load range is 91 sl. I put on 225 firehawks 94 XL-extra load these are bigger and hold more weight per tire and are stiffer tires and bigger by about .5 inch. I noticed a big difference over AS 215 93 xl tires. The extra load tires should make the tire last a bit longer and the tire is handles loading better. The 225 fit the Honda si very well and don't stick out. And also help more with potholes and ride a little smoother. 225 also fits 17 x7 rims. Let me know what you think of the firehawks, so far I think they are excellent.:party:

the 215 indy 500's he has are XL load rating. His air pressure rating is good to 50psi, and who's going to run their tires at 50psi? See pic -

load1.png

don't think mpg is firehawks best attribute, but sticky tire yes indeed and soft riding which was a surprise. I imagine playing with the air pressure a bit would boost mpg. I tried 35 pds and though it was a bit too much then tried 34pds seem close to perfect maybe 34.5 might work ok. I have a fancy tire digital tire gauge and manual air pump every one should have these simple tools. Stock air pressure is 32 which isn't much. You put AS fuel economy tires next to the firehawks and its easy to see why they stick to the road like glue, there are two other tires I like also and they were giving rebates, about $80 -$100 less but still sticky summer tires. No reason to run AS in the summer time. AS is great for below 32 degrees when summer tires will freeze up as I did test that out once and yes you won't stay on the road with summer tires below 32:unamusedpopcorn: stock rims will fit this special size 225 45 17 94xl-extra load big difference from a 91sl small load. see pic

I think you're confused on what XL (extra load) means on tires. You have to go above the standard load tire max pressure rating to achieve additional weight load ratings. Please read the example. The tires are identical up to the point of MAX PSI on standard. Who's running tires at super high PSI?

============

load.png

the difference is if you run a sl load-the car will not have as stiff a tire at 32 or 34 as xl tires will. This chart don't show how the tires feel. Nobody runs the tires at max 50 you would bounce off the road. I have tried both and the xl tires don't need as much air so the ride on xl is firmer. it's about feel not weight really. xl is stiffer riding sl is softer riding. xl tire should last a bit longer too due to less stress on the tire. I suppose its a small difference but I notice it right away. some brands only carry sl in certain sizes-I avoid those tire. You don't drive a chart, you drive a tire.:banana whip2:

Last edited:
I never worry about load ranges I try and make my car lighter not heavier. Plus I never planned on towing anything with my civic but for the Odyssey yea sure. If you had a load of 3,000lbs on your truck you would not worry about the 50-80 psi causing the vehicle to bounce but I have never had that problem when I did construction.

@Bruce Bartlow I did get to do a little testing on the tires yesterday. I have to say comparing them to the Fuel economy tires they are 100x better.

I did a 1st gear WOT from 1,500 RPMs to 5k and and once I hit 4k I started to brake loose. I did the same in 2nd 1,500-7,000 and it held up well with a little chirping as boost picked up.

Next I really like to see how it holds up at the dragstrip. Since at the track it should hold up better.

Not the best tires but for the price I can't complain 1 bit. I feel the Potenza's may have been a better choice but are around 40-50 bucks more for each tire. I'll see soon how they hold up in damp and wet weather to see.

The firehawks should be fairly good in rain, but may give up some do to dry performance. No tire can do everything. Race cars usually have dry and rain tires-two sets. A street car is not going to have that option. The best would be Michelin's, but add price performance the firehawks would win. Not being a race car price performance is what I value most.:chopwood:As far as load rating the sl and xl tires have a different feel while your driving. I prefer the xl. Not really taking about how much weight the tire can support.:dancingcoolsmiley:

I know race cars use different type of tires I am speaking about normal tires. None of us are going to out perform any drag radials, slicks, race tires ect. My Potenza S-04 were absolutely amazing in wet conditions and handled even better on dry roads.

Back