Amazon, Mobil 1 & Valvoline Oil Compared

I change my oil every 3 months regardless of the mileage since I know blow by will contaminate my oil I don't like to wait for my mileage. Sometimes I even change my oil sooner if I put stress on my motor from hard driving.

That was my 1st oil change with this motor I noticed the oil was a little dark on the dip stick when I would check it. My original motor I used M1 and Torco SR1 and normally my oil came out clear with just that little amber color to it.

Ok maybe it actually works better but at what mileage did they use in these tests because I change the oil quite often. Did they run the test to 10,000 or 5,000 miles? any oil is going to age and then not work as well. MY car the oil was changed out every couple of thousand miles, it mostly stay in a garage and driven only 3,000 or less in a year. a blackstone test would actually prove if its that much better or not. Maybe someone here wants to run all these tests, but not me.:cucumber: :ohnoes:

Results are from 100hrs of testing

============

BE2176FA-2AA5-497B-A50A-B51B3130066C.jpeg

The Pennzoil team hired an outside firm to purchase competitive test oils and the oils were then blind coded and randomized and sent to an independent test laboratory for Sequence IIIG testing. After the grueling 100 hour test, Pennzoil Ultra and Pennzoil Platinum exceeded the minimum rating, as well as the competitors’ ratings.

• well looks like it wins, but not my cheapo test $17 vs $25. I change the oil very early so any oil will work well. One Honda vfr 750 put on 350,000 miles, but the oil was change every week with cheap stuff. Maybe next time I try some, I have enough Valvoline to last more than a year and I doubt the engine is not going to run perfect.:chill::bananawhipdance:

the pensoil tests are rubbish nobody runs their engines a 100 hour, and they might have cheated by using oil they specially made just for the test
there are many ways to fool people into thinking their stuff is the golden goose egg:badger: amsoil does it all the time.:bananapoke::rantsmiley::pinkdomokundance::turbopokesmiley::worms: Well on third part looks like I will try pensoil ultra still going to use the napa oil however in my neon in winter-0-20 would be super in cold weather

Last edited:
I'll let you know how well pennzoil holds up under harsh conditions. I might even send in a sample from this oil change to compare it to the next oil change I do.

Not the best tires but for the price I can't complain 1 bit. I feel the Potenza's may have been a better choice but are around 40-50 bucks more for each tire. I'll see soon how they hold up in damp and wet weather to see.
Sounds like they're a great tire in the dry, especially for the money. I was surprised to read that. But in TireRack's extensive reports they were consistently downgraded for their wet handling. I think as long as we're aware of that it's fine. We should all be slowing down when it rains anyway.

You'll have a lot of fun with those tires.

I mean look at the coffee pot demonstration heating the oil to 400 degrees for just 2hrs. Look at how dark it is when it's not even going through the combustion process.

View attachment 59128

also additives can cause it to turn black without the oil being "bad".

=====

View attachment 59129

This is why I've been pushing the "Ultra" version. For almost the same price (if you shop it) you get a much better oil.
have you actually found it in stores? I went to two shops today and neither had "ultra" in any weight. I see some places online selling the 0w-20 for like $45/ 5qt jug online. I see tons of complaints on bobistheoilguy saying no one can find it in stores. Just curious

have you actually found it in stores? I went to two shops today and neither had "ultra" in any weight. I see some places online selling the 0w-20 for like $45/ 5qt jug online. I see tons of complaints on bobistheoilguy saying no one can find it in stores. Just curious

yeah.... around $11/quart currently on amazon for 0w-20 ultra

I'll let you know how well pennzoil holds up under harsh conditions. I might even send in a sample from this oil change to compare it to the next oil change I do.

But for an extra $10 Blackstone will perform an additional test called TBN (Total Base Number) that indicates how well the detergent package is "holding up" as you say. When the additive package is mostly used up (TBN = <1) oxidation will increase very quickly. Otherwise, the oil is still doing it's job.

As a new oil, Ultra Platinum has a very high TBN... either 8.9 or 11 depending on how it's measured. That's traditionally been very high by industry standards. A high TBN simply means the oil is designed to last.

I can virtually guarantee Blackstone will send a note back with the final analysis, something to the effect of 'leave it in longer next time!' In fact, I have never failed to receive such a note even after 7,500 grueling miles (a Dragon trip) though my engines are always squeaky clean from my obsessive (but unnecessary) oil change intervals.

Just to be clear, the TBN test is in addition to the normal spectrographic analysis of the engine's wear metals, which is what most of us find interesting. The TBN is just a single number and not very exciting. But if you really want to know if the oil can take what you're dishing out, there's no substitute for the TBN test.

There's one exception -- if the engine is already gunked up, the TBN will be working overtime from the very beginning.

Last edited:
yeah.... around $11/quart currently on amazon for 0w-20 ultra

Been attempting to compare the TBN of other motor oils. Lots of speculation and guessing out there. On M1 i've already seen "8" to as much as "15" (!!) Even Amoil's 15w-40 DIESEL oil is only a 12: https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...5w-40-heavy-duty-diesel-and-marine-motor-oil/

I say "only" 12, but 12 is actually quite high. And that's exactly what you need in a dirty diesel engine.

It's also possible that TBN has been moving up lately, perhaps in conjunction with extended drain intervals. In the past anything over 10 was a pretty big deal, and companies over 10 (like Amsoil) would make special mention of it in their marketing materials. And if Amsoil's highest TBN is a 12 it's unlikely other oils exceed that. (It also speaks well of Ultra's 9 or 11)

Many on BITOG are saying that Blackstone has a good dependable database comparing TBN's. They'd be the ones to ask.

One thing seems certain: Based on the test results we've seen, when it comes to spending just $5.00/qt Ultra Platinum seems hard to beat. Anxious to hear what you guys discover from your own experiences.

I would think 05-20 would be fine in Honda's especially in summer or even winter. I am going to buy 5qts. Did you notice the $10 rebate that brings the price lower than $5 a qt. Don't know why 0-20 is so much more? Pennsoil is doing a poor job of selling this oil with so many screwy thing s going on. Like simple things of not putting a seal on their jug s, Its still has a twist off cap that seals but hey high priced oil should do these little things.:joke:

But for an extra $10 Blackstone will perform an additional test called TBN (Total Base Number) that indicates how well the detergent package is "holding up" as you say. When the additive package is mostly used up (TBN = <1) oxidation will increase very quickly. Otherwise, the oil is still doing it's job.

As a new oil, Ultra Platinum has a very high TBN... either 8.9 or 11 depending on how it's measured. That's traditionally been very high by industry standards. A high TBN simply means the oil is designed to last.
wouldn't waste the expensive oil in Neon though, old cars should have gunk.
I can virtually guarantee Blackstone will send a note back with the final analysis, something to the effect of 'leave it in longer next time!' In fact, I have never failed to receive such a note even after 7,500 grueling miles (a Dragon trip) though my engines are always squeaky clean from my obsessive (but unnecessary) oil change intervals.

Just to be clear, the TBN test is in addition to the normal spectrographic analysis of the engine's wear metals, which is what most of us find interesting. The TBN is just a single number and not very exciting. But if you really want to know if the oil can take what you're dishing out, there's no substitute for the TBN test.

There's one exception -- if the engine is already gunked up, the TBN will be working overtime from the very beginning.
I good test would be to use my Neon 2001 because it is gunked up at bit:flame: the rebat is good for 2 1.25 jugs or $20. Might as well get two.

Last edited:
Back