Tak - The <3 of my 9th Gen Civic FB2

Not really. How about a garage from family?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the point of the booth is dust/clean filtered air. Any amount of dust in the air will embed itself into the paint, even when it sits and cures.

I know but I thought I could manage to try it myself.

So do you think I could claim the insurance? I have full coverage on Geico though. My deductible is $250. If I could, it would be much way cheaper to pay for the repair. I cannot afford paying $500-800 out of my pocket.

What do you think?

Thanks

Anything is possible to do, but I'm betting you will not be happy trying to paint it in a garage if a scratch is bothering you. Any dust that lands on the car is going to stick in the panel. I've seen people spray cars in their garage and it was a mess. They had specs of dirt and dust all through their paint. They tried wet sanding things out, but again.. it can be a mess. That's your call though, but seeing as how the scratch is bothering you... I think the dust in the paint/not being smooth is going to drive you nuts.

Best bet would be to stop at a paint/collision place and just ask what they'd charge to do the repair. I have literally no clue what they'd charge to paint 1 door, because they're not really having to pull dents/damage etc out. It may be something like $300 or I'm not sure? Just tell them you're trying to see if you'd have to go through insurance or pay it out of pocket yourself. You don't have to tell them your deductible or anything like that. See what kind of a quote they give you on just the paint. If it's almost the same cost as your deductible, I'd pay it out of pocket. Having a claim on your insurance for basically the same cost as paying it out of pocket isn't wise in my book. Your rates could end up going up the next renewal due to that claim.

Hello

How’s everyone doing?

Minor update on my civic.

I worked with Strut King and tried out their Dead Pedal from Honda Civic 01-05. The shape and size of this dead pedal is very closed match to my Civic 2012 sedan. Now the interior looks very nice.

2057c864c62c660bbf9650aac995f830.jpg

693ff2e53f79ba13487a100510a6927b.jpg

Hello guys

The thing to do next is to powder coating the drum brake cover. They are currently painted with black calipers paint

However, every year, I have to repaint some area because surface rusts develop on them. This year, I’ve found myself tired of this task and want to look into some permanent solution.

Is powder coating drum brake a permanent solution besides doing the rear drum to disc brake conversion?

Thanks

Last edited:
All rust has to be removed prior to paint or powder coat or it’ll just keep happening. Media blasting or stripping it entirely needs to happen before you apply anything.

Reactions: Tak
All rust has to be removed prior to paint or powder coat or it’ll just keep happening. Media blasting or stripping it entirely needs to happen before you apply anything.

Even brand new drum brake? I’m trying to understand about the process though.

At a minimum I’d think you’d need or want to hit it with a power drill with a wire wheel on it and something like brake cleaner/rubbing alcohol etc. The surface needs cleaned and any oil or whatever on the surface isn’t going to let the paint adhere properly. That goes for a “new” part.

At a minimum I’d think you’d need or want to hit it with a power drill with a wire wheel on it and something like brake cleaner/rubbing alcohol etc. The surface needs cleaned and any oil or whatever on the surface isn’t going to let the paint adhere properly. That goes for a “new” part.

Thanks @webby

I found a local shop that will do powder coating on a pair drum brake for $100.

What do you think? Any issue that I should be aware? I could drop the old set to them.

I use 2000 degree caliper paint on a lot of rust-it will stick to anything including your lungs-I just hold my breath outside when I use that nasty stuff
on the can says likely to cause cancer-does causes cancer-absolutely nasty stuff :flame:$5 a can at wall mart.

Thanks @webby

I found a local shop that will do powder coating on a pair drum brake for $100.

What do you think? Any issue that I should be aware? I could drop the old set to them.

that's totally your call. I don't know if that is good or bad as far as pricing goes. I've never had a powder quote for a job before. Doing it with yourself with some high temp paint and some cleaner it'd be a fraction of that cost. Your call.

that's totally your call. I don't know if that is good or bad as far as pricing goes. I've never had a powder quote for a job before. Doing it with yourself with some high temp paint and some cleaner it'd be a fraction of that cost. Your call.

Will there be a problem with heat when using powder coat on drum brake?

I’m currently using high temperatures caliper brake paint so I’m unsure about the powder coating though

according to other forums and powder coating websites, they offer calipers/drums to be powder coated without issue

Hello everyone

Does anyone have any suggestions about steering wheel cover?

Thanks

Back