Coolant change ambiguity

Matsweeper

New Jersey
Vehicle Model
Civic
Body Style
Sedan
Hey guys,

I have a 2014 Civic EXL and currently at 80k miles. I was under the believe that the coolant is changed when the maintenance minder tells me or 100k. On forums most say we are good for 100k.

Well since I went to buy coolant for my father in laws Accord I asked the Honda parts person when should I do a drain and fill. He said "we do 60k intervals for coolant". I was taken of guard as I'm at 80k already and always ahead of the game for maintenance. I then called another Honda and asked their service rep and they said "every 30k" I know that's def. Not necessary.

So for peace of mind I purchased coolant for my car. Reading the back it says if used properly, that will protect my car for 60k or 5 years! So I revisited my cars owners manual and it does not say any specific miles. Just says to check every fuel up and too off when needed.

Should we do our coolant change every 60k?
3c66fe95c1f5159840b8e39b8e9f0846.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I have been going though this, don't forget the 5yrs old req. My 2013 is six yrs old-needs to be changed, its at 19,000. I would not go above the recommendation. I would rather change early then late. this coolant stuff isn't easy to learn. I did notice the freezing point -34 :popcornbig:and boiling point 268 degrees looked perfect. Oh Yes to your question 60k or 5yrs. Forget the manual. What did you pay for the honda OEM coolant?

I do mine every 2 years or 30,000 miles. You being at 80k miles is probably ok since the coolant is supposed to be good for over 100,000 miles.

aren't these stupid warning on labels from just one state California make them look like the nanny's they are :rotfl: California should just do what they want and start their own crazy country like they have proposed to do and stop bother everyone.

First change is supposed to be 100k/10years, and subsequent changes 60k/5 years.
Of course the maintenanceminder should throw a code when it’s time.
Dealers are just trying to maximize their profits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been going though this, don't forget the 5yrs old req. My 2013 is six yrs old-needs to be changed, its at 19,000. I would not go above the recommendation. I would rather change early then late. this coolant stuff isn't easy to learn. I did notice the freezing point -34 :popcornbig:and boiling point 268 degrees looked perfect. Oh Yes to your question 60k or 5yrs. Forget the manual. What did you pay for the honda OEM coolant?
The gallon coolant I purchased is priced at $28. However when I went back to buy mine they charged me $20. Than I called and asked what the price of coolant was and they said $28. Idk

I bought it January 2014 so I'm def due for it at this point. Glad I did it!

Thanks Webby!! I knew college hill was reputable but didn't know the other two links. I like to order from college hill.when I buy more than 2 things. Even though their price is lower, the shipping ends up making it more expensive or 1-2 dollars less than buying it at my dealer. I will check out the other links. I appreciate it.

First change is supposed to be 100k/10years, and subsequent changes 60k/5 years.
Of course the maintenanceminder should throw a code when it’s time.
Dealers are just trying to maximize their profits.

I usually will follow the imid. Oil change for example I do it every 12k-14k (I get oil tested at Blackstone labs).

I use K&N filter so that's good for a bit. Transmission fluid drain and fill I do every 30k.

Something's the imid doesn't say so for that I have to read info on like serpentine belt. I changed mine as it had cracks but I knew nothing about this.

One thing that kind of annoys me, I agree to some level that dealers are trying to I crease their profit. So I use my own decided brand of engine oil, washer fluid. But there are some things that knowledged mechanics say are no problem to use any brand like brake fluid. I considered Preston's or even Valvoline. But on my manual it says to use Honda heavy duty brake fluid. If I use another named brand make sure to drain and fill to Honda's DOT 3.

As far as I'm concerned all DOT 3 have to meet same requirements and other named brands should do the trick. I only use Honda though as per manual.

I would use dot 4 just for the higher boiling point. And Zerox Asian blue $13.68 at Walmart online is just as good as honda oem anti freeze. I learned a trick too with brake fluid, just open up the brake fluid drain nut a little so it drips a little and then tighten it up. That will keep your Brake fluid clean and do it when you rotate the tires on all four ends. I would change the oil around 5000 miles. Napa platinum oil filter is the best or mobil 1. I am trying out Pennzoil ultra platinum 05-20- I would say from the test we saw on utube its outstanding oil.

I change my transmission fluid and coolant once a year regardless of mileage. The fluid always stays fresh. It’s like 70 bucks for both in washers and fluids. I’m at 98k now. I’ve been doing it since it was new.

Now your talking , all ways keep that stuff clean, time to look under the car and find that radiator drain plug. I got two gals of the Asian blue zerox-$7 cheaper than the dealers oem honda stuff-does the same thing. I would never support the honda dealer that's why I bought a used Honda SI now with 19,000 miles. I change out that anti freeze tomorrow:corndance: I really hate not having a temp guage. What happens if the car over heats? Does the idiot light actually work on a over heated honda si 2013?:confuzzled:

That’s what I’m saying, no temp light was really stupid. That’s one big thing I n ever liked about the car. Changing the coolant every year keeps the cooling system clean without corrosion which destroys everything

It is possible to put your own temp gauge on the car and would be well worth the money spent to have one!:paper: As a idiot light just tells you your car is cooked which would be plain as day anyway with steam coming from under the hood. , a temp monitor tells you to service the cooling system before total failure. How come a 2001 neon has a temp gauge, the car was less than $13,000 brand new.

Last edited:
It is no point to put a temp gauge in newer cars it would be a waste of money the manufacturer would put into a car that no one will look at. Anyway with an OBD2 car you can buy the bluetooth OBD and read all the information right on your phone with no need for putting a gauge in your car.

Honda also has a fail safe mode that you car will go into when the OBD reads anything out of the ordinary.

:rotfl:
It is no point to put a temp gauge in newer cars it would be a waste of money the manufacturer would put into a car that no one will look at. Anyway with an OBD2 car you can buy the bluetooth OBD and read all the information right on your phone with no need for putting a gauge in your car.
that is 100% wrong, on my neon's I look at the temp all the time, the srt-4 has a miso turbo engines that runs extremely hot, the manufacture is a *** wipe, I refuse to use a smart phone -piece of junk,
I will add a temp monitor to my Honda si. If you can't see it its useless.

Because your Neon has one that you look at doesn't mean everyone else does. If that were the case there would have been a lot less cars with blown head gaskets. Unlike the neon this car will go into Limp-home mode once the car reaches higher temperatures than normal making a gauge completely pointless.

I wouldn't care what car it is temp monitor must be there, lose your cooling lose the engine.:brock:

Because your Neon has one that you look at doesn't mean everyone else does. If that were the case there would have been a lot less cars with blown head gaskets. Unlike the neon this car will go into Limp-home mode once the car reaches higher temperatures than normal making a gauge completely pointless.
the head gasket problem was solved by better head gaskets but everything has its limits-run any car with not a enough cooling , you will destroy something.:dance::flame:

Back