Erratic Idle After Calibration Upload

Nefertiti_Civi

What’s going on 9th Gen Family?

I have been running a Generic Basemap for a while (around 1500 miles) for my PRL intake and Catless downpipe, and so far no issues with the drivability of the car. I finally decided to stop being lazy, and forked over the money for a tune. After getting my first calibration, I flashed my car, and now I am experiencing an erratic idle. The car once warmed up to around 181 ECT, starts rev bouncing from 1.1k to around 2.2k. Eventually this throws a P0507 code. (Idle higher than expected)

I have done some research, finding out that my car may be idle hunting, and followed the steps to try and settle the idle, but I am having no luck. I even switched back to a calibration that wasn’t idle hunting previously with no luck at all. This of course makes for an extremely jerky ride…:thumbsdown: Any advice? I know my way around Hondata, maybe there is a setting that shouldn’t be checked?

Could it possibly be the cal used?

Thank you

Did you provide info to the tuner you’re using? I know it took vitviper upwards of 30 calibrations before it was finished.

If not the tune a vacuum leak possibly. But if u say it started happening right after ur first cal then the tune is probably the culprit. I had like 27 revisions until my tune was done when I went full fbo with rbc but my car never idled erratically. Who are you tuning with?

Did you provide info to the tuner you’re using? I know it took vitviper upwards of 30 calibrations before it was finished.

Yes, I just shot them an email, but they won't get back to me till next week :( They are on vacation lol.

@ron v - True... maybe i'll just flash it back in the meantime until they are able to assist. I am currently with E-tunez. Vittuned isn't accepting any more cars at the time.

put the reflash map back on the car if it was running fine. Wait to see what your 2nd map from the tuner is

Thank you @webby.

I temporary put the old map on and the car is running normally. I guess I will just have to wait until they get back to me. Thank you for the help!

i hate when people dont come back to update their issues. i had an erratic idle cold start for a few seconds into my 5th revision. cold start tuning is done last though.

Like it only happens for a few seconds when u start the car? What are u tuning for?

Yeah. I'm done tuning now. Still has a rough idle for like 5 seconds on cold starts. Steve from e-tunez says it's normal? I trust him.

Tuning for more power and better mileage. Stock for now with a drop in k&n. Was more curious than anything to see what can be done to tune it stock. Was very pleased with the result.

You think the tune is bad because it runs bad for 5 seconds on a cold start?

Email from tuner.

"The SD tunes can be a bit harder to start then AFM tunes just due to the way the fuel is regulated, but usually we can get it 85% of the way there so that most users cant tell :)"

Other than the 5 seconds of cold start the car feels great. Night and day from the stock tune. I want to load the stock tune just to feel the difference.

There is a few things I don't understand about your tune. 1st what is a SD tune? And why did they do the cold start tune last? That was always the first step I have taken to get a foundation for my tune.

I don't know what type of tune you got but being stock you should not have any rough idle but I am no expert. When I turned with VitViper my motor ran amazing and so smooth even with the Basic bolt ons.

If you unsure on the quality of your current e-tune or dyno-tune we can analyze your datalogs for you and we will provide feedback for FREE. Simply email a 30 min datalog with some WOT, along with your modification list and map the datalog was done on. In return we will go over the numbers and give you a review of what we see, identify and issues and assign a score out of 10 for overall tuning status and running condition.

Under tuning services we have tuning options for your consideration. Our email for all datalogs and maps is: tuning@e-tunez.com

===

create new email
send datalog
wait for their 1-10 score on their tune
:wink1:

It would be super hard to log the first 5 seconds of start up. If it persists and annoys me too much I'll contact them. I'm not too worried at this point. I plan on purchasing the usual bolt ons over the winter so I'll be getting another tune for that anyways.

You can turn the Hondata on datalog before you crank the car just incase you did not know.
Did not know. Was told stopping the log after turning the engine off can corrupt the log and just thought it would do the same if starting it before the engine is started.

i hate when people dont come back to update their issues. i had an erratic idle cold start for a few seconds into my 5th revision. cold start tuning is done last though.

Sorry I didn't update James... :)

It turned out that I needed to completely let my car 'relearn' itself after my upload. What I did was:

1) Unplug the negative cable and let the car sit for 15min
2) Replugged and re-uploaded the calibration
3) Turned on the car with HONDATA still plugged to the car
4) Waited and watched the ECT until the car completely warmed up to normal op temperature, ( around 180 F) then started driving. She drove like a charm.

Steve also tuned me with E-tunez, and we finished after 11 revisions. He will get your SI running nicely.

Back