Squiggy and Spidergirl's Annual Halloween Movie Fest!

Day 11: (1954) Rear Window
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047396/

The movie was shot on a specially constructed set that took fifty men two months to build, and cost somewhere between $75,000 and $100,000. In order to get the scale right, the sound stage floor had to be removed so the courtyard could be built in a former storage space in the basement. Therefore, Stewart's apartment, which appears to be on the second floor, was actually at street level. The set included thirty-one apartments, twelve of which were fully furnished.

Excellent Hitchcock film! Jimmy Stewart is fantastic. I also love Thelma Ritter's (Stella) commentary. The "glowy" quality of the film stock just adds to the mystery of the subject matter. Love love love.

11 1954 Rear Window.jpg

Nice! You don't have to tell me twice, everyday is Halloween. I mean dang, I wore a wig for almost 2 days just to mess with people.

Everyday is Halloween!

Every year we do 31 movies in 31 days to celebrate Halloween. They can be horror, thriller, monster, horror-comedy, or anything that could qualify as a Halloween movie!

This year we are kicking it off with:

monstersquad_poster.jpg
What a blast from the past... nobody today likely knows KennyGS or anyone else. What a shame.

I have been debating on Troll Hunter sometime this month. I have heard nothing but good things about Dead Snow.

Nosferatu is awesome!

Day 14: (1960) Peeping Tom
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054167/

The film is regarded as one of the first slasher films in horror movie history. Seen as too risque, the film was heavily cut by the BBFC (British Board of Film Classification) before release and much of the footage is considered lost.

THIS is my favorite so far, and might make my list of all-time favorites. A must watch!

14 1960 Peeping Tom.jpg

Day 15: (1963) The Birds
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056869/

According to Hitchcock, 3,200 birds were trained for the movie. He said the ravens were most clever, and the seagulls were the most vicious.

Ehhhhhh, overrated in my opinion. Definitely not my one of my favorite Hitchcock films.  

View attachment 59658
Agree; to me the movie was too simplistic. Was still a good idea and glad they did it. Advanced for its time, but so was Rod Serling and Twilight Zone. Makes one wonder how people will view Black Mirror 50-100 years from now, which is about ideas ala Twilight Zone.

Last edited:
Makes one wonder how people will view Black Mirror 50-100 years from now, which is about ideas ala Twilight Zone.
Yes! Such a good parallel. I absolutely love the Black Mirror series. So sad that they only do a small handful each "season". Do you have a favorite episode?

Yes! Such a good parallel. I absolutely love the Black Mirror series. So sad that they only do a small handful each "season". Do you have a favorite episode?

Given that you've pretty much seen every episode (and i'm the rookie) i should be asking you that question about faves. So any tips from you would be doubly appreciated. One thing's for sure: anyone who doesn't like the series just hasn't found the right episode. But given that BM's analogies are 'all over the place' finding that perfect episode may take awhile unless you're binge watching. Frankly, i can't binge a show like this... it's just too emotional.

Of the ones i've seen the first two episodes of Season 4, USS Callister and Arkangel are representative of the themes/treatment i enjoy most. Others like Hang the D.J seem different and have a happy ending that puts a smile the face... which is kinda weird for such an edgy series. After all, it's basically a series about 'future tech' as it interplays with our darker human nature. The end result, as seen by the writers anyway, isn't a pretty one.

Another episode that caught my attention was Nosedive, a social points system already launched in Communist China on a smaller scale. Of course, Black Mirror takes the idea to an extreme to prove a point, which is what we love about the show.

Overall the writing and acting have been superb. Let's hope their inspiration continues!

mr. bruce

Day 16: (1966) Kill, Baby...Kill!
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060794/

Two weeks into filming, the producers ran out of money. Director Mario Bava and the cast agreed to finish the film without pay!

"Master of Italian Horror" or not, I guess I'm just not a fan of Mario Bava. :(

16 1966 Kill Baby Kill.jpg

Day 11: (1954) Rear Window
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047396/

The movie was shot on a specially constructed set that took fifty men two months to build, and cost somewhere between $75,000 and $100,000. In order to get the scale right, the sound stage floor had to be removed so the courtyard could be built in a former storage space in the basement. Therefore, Stewart's apartment, which appears to be on the second floor, was actually at street level. The set included thirty-one apartments, twelve of which were fully furnished.

Excellent Hitchcock film! Jimmy Stewart is fantastic. I also love Thelma Ritter's (Stella) commentary. The "glowy" quality of the film stock just adds to the mystery of the subject matter. Love love love.

View attachment 59624

Another thought on Black Mirror, which I hope everybody tries. The great majority seem to be very well cast and acted. At the end of the day good acting is entertaining in its own right, regardless of genre.

Back