New to me 9th gen

Zach Terrell

Alamance, NC
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
Hello all, i will be finally purchasing my first Si. Previously owned 3 7th gen accords, 1 V6 Sedan 1 V6 coupe, and the most previous K24 Sedan. Also had a 7th gen Civic coupe with the ol 1.7 single jingle under the hood. Haven’t been able to get out of a Honda since day one and have no desire to get out of them! The new babe is a 2013 Si Sedan with just over 119k on it, 1 owner from Indiana. Found it through CarMax and it was shipped to me from GA and finally arrived! Shipping fee wasn’t too crazy and got here fairly quick. They haven’t supplied me the complete service history yet but I will be making sure I get it, but what are some of the first things you guys would recommend doing first to keep her running in top shape? I will be considering timing chain if not already done recently which I do have doubts on. Oil life on the IMID screen read 90% but I may do a oil and filter change anyways, what brand oil and filter are you guys running and recommend? Does need a good buffing and I may get a full paint correction while I’m at it. Tires are good, brakes are still good but I’m already looking into an upgrade for them. Shifter does feel like everyone describes and I’ve already got my eyes on the Acuity Shift Kit level 2. Clutch seems good but in the future I will be upgrading it just not set on which brand or stage yet but open to suggestions. Will be getting pics this weekend when I go pick it up. Thanks for reading all and look forward to the knowledge to come!

welcome to the forum.

Hondas used to run timing belts with like ~100k service intervals. The 2012+ civics run a timing chain, and they are rated for the life of the engine. They do not actually have a service replacement period on them.

This thread has a ton of info and tests in it from various brands of oil. Moral of the entire thread - amazon oil & pennzoil performed pretty amazing for the price in the tests he performed
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/amazon-mobil-1-valvoline-oil-compared.15941/

the oem clutch isn't actually bad. A number of people have run it into the low 300hp range with superchargers/turbo setups. Above that you would definitely need an upgrade, so I don't know what your plans are there.

Yeah I’m aware of the switch to chains, last car was the K24A4 Accord and it started to have a timing chain tick but it also had 237k miles when I sold it. Thought about new chain along with a Ktuned tensioner with new guides just to give me a few more years of no worries.
Later down the line I may go turbo if finances allow me.

I used Royal Purple in the Accord so price isn’t my biggest concern on oil, I do like to run maintenance parts that are ‘performance oriented’ lol. Just don’t want to run anything that’ll promote faster internal wear since it will be a normal DD for a while with occasional fun runs.

Thanks for the welcoming also!

B5840F18-1282-4790-9DEA-4EFC982E038B.jpeg

Royal purple was one of the first eliminated, but it lost to amsoil (which ended up in the finals of his testing)

0w-20 is what's recommended. 5 is thicker and less protection in cold starts versus 0w

I don't think so ultra pennnziol has excellent flow in cold weather-I don't think the difference would really matter too much and 05-20 would be much better after it warms up- heat is also a factor in wear. My neon's run 0-40mobil 1 srt-4 factory fill and 05-30-in the 2001 it s a bit noisy when it starts but the oil is fresh. I know honda is different- and need's oil changed often. I would run ultra pennnziol 0-20 but its super expensive-don't know why.

napa platinum and mobil 1 both are high flow filters. I toss honda book in garbage, 0-20 was a energy saving oil-thins out very fast. 05-20 can take a lot more heat-only if its dirty will it not flow enough.

Dude, it says 0W-20 right on the cap.

I use Mobil 1 oil and filters for my LX-- I've had no problems thus far.
mobil 1 0-40 is in a special class as its a European spec oil-no cheating on whats in it. Other mobil one is no where near as good.

Stop dirtying up the new guys thread with your nonsense. You have a lair for such things.

Believe what you want. Honda calls for 0w20
Is this the same genesis as who puts two cats on a 4cyl or lock out traction control if the tnps light is on-not req.
Or who joins the epa to destroy cars? Don't follow the book. It's only a guide that is all ready out dated.:bleh::box::box:

napa platinum and mobil 1 both are high flow filters. I toss honda book in garbage, 0-20 was a energy saving oil-thins out very fast. 05-20 can take a lot more heat-only if its dirty will it not flow enough.

Thins out fast? I change my oil at 5,000 miles on the nose even though I don't really have to since it's synthetic. I think the stuff can take around 7,000-8,000 before you enter the end of oil life. I therefore change my oil about 3-ish times a year. How long does your oil last you?

Is this the same genesis as who puts two cats on a 4cyl or lock out traction control if the tnps light is on-not req.
Or who joins the epa to destroy cars? Don't follow the book. It's only a guide that is all ready out dated.:bleh::box::box:

Firstly, I don't care if Honda puts four catalytic converters on their engine-- it's their design, and they know best about how to maintain it. Secondly, the reason you're complaining about the catalytic converters is that you want more power and less restriction, correct? Fine. But don't expect an automaker to throw already existing regulations out the window because you want more power. Honda has to do things like add cats to meet emissions. Thirdly, why are you even complaining about this? Isn't this the point of modding/tuning? You buy a car that is fuel efficient and therefore restricted in regards to performance, and then undo it. Shouldn't this make you more excited that there's more power to be found?

Also, I'm not sure where you've been, but Honda's ALWAYS been environmentally conscious with their car making-- EPA or Not.

https://csr.honda.com/longform-content/environmental-impact/

welcome to the 9th, you got the same model as I do except I got 20k on mine:rotfl:even my vfr800 has a cat-butt its one noisy beast with a carbon 2bos Muffler with zero sound packing-that went out the end.:lildevil:

Back