2012 Civic Hybrid. ABS Pump battery drain & Dead Battery. VSA/ABS/Power Steering Lights

yahazim

Hi friends I need some help here. I have a 2012 Honda Civic Hybrid. A year ago during the winter when it started to get cold out I noticed the remote unlock on my key started to work less and less. I thought it was the battery in the remote key but about a month later when it was very cold the standard battery (not the charge battery for the hybrid) needed to be replaced. After that, the remote key worked fine.

Fast forward to today. As the cold started in about a month ago the same symptoms with my remote key started up again. On the coldest day about a week ago suddenly the VSA/ABS/Power Steering lights all came on. After about a day of that the battery on my car would just die. I needed to start jumping the car. After every jump all of those lights would come on. When parked and turned off, under the hood, passenger side, near the front bumper was making a whirring sound. This tapped whatever charge the battery had and in the morning the car would be completely dead requiring a new jump.

I took the car to the mechanic yesterday, who said the whirring sound after the car is turned off is the ABS pump. The mechanic removed the ABS pump in hopes it can be replaced, however now I do not have a working car.

Please, good advice and insight is needed. Help?

I seriously just think the oem batteries are absolutely junk in the 9th gens. There are countless battery threads on here. Some have had 3+ replaced under warranty from Honda. People who've installed aftermarket batteries seem to be doing fine. There was a service bulletin for bad batteries as well. A lot have had issues.

Any ideas of why and how the ABS pump is still whirring after the car is turned off? If I can solve that issue then I'm good to go. The mechanic says I need to replace the ABS pump. I cannot afford that right now.

Yes I found that link too. I left though because it's not my make and model. Do you think the advice still pertains to my problem? Thank you so much for your time, it's recognized and appreciated.

Yeah. Here are similar things for Ford, Nissan, and other makes that came up on the first page of results. There are even quite a few YouTube vids with people demonstrating and fixing theirs.

One last question then for you... does the fact that my car is a hybrid somehow invalidate this repair advice?

I mean I would trust that the mechanic was telling you the truth. He'd know more about this that I would from just a few internet searches. I wish I knew more about it to help, but all I can say is that a LOT of people have had battery issues. The repair threads all seem to say the same thing your mechanic said. If they continue to run, they burn up and need replaced along with a relay or whatever.

Wanted to bump this old thread.

I'm having the same issues. Would replacing the ABS Pump at a cost of over $1200 fix this issue or is there some underlying problem that needs to be addressed to fix this issue?

ANY help would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Wanted to bump this old thread.

I'm having the same issues. Would replacing the ABS Pump at a cost of over $1200 fix this issue or is there some underlying problem that needs to be addressed to fix this issue?

ANY help would be most appreciated. Thanks.
if you're getting vsa/power warning lights, have your battery tested. I have no idea how old/new the battery is or what year your car is, but get the battery checked.

if you're getting vsa/power warning lights, have your battery tested. I have no idea how old/new the battery is or what year your car is, but get the battery checked.
Thanks. Battery was replaced with brand new one after the old battery was dead and required a jump start. After the brand new battery was fitted, the errors disappeared but then after a few mins driving all the errors lights back.

I did some searching on this and seen a mention of the same battery drain/traction control/TPMS/power steering errors combo but there was no useful replies to that question unfortunately. Hoping someone here may have had the same issue in the past.

Last edited:
Thanks. Battery was replaced with brand new one after the old battery was dead and required a jump start. After the brand new battery was fitted, the errors disappeared but then after a few mins driving all the errors lights back.

I did some searching on this and seen a mention of the same battery drain/traction control/TPMS/power steering errors combo but there was no useful replies to that question unfortunately. Hoping someone here may have had the same issue in the past.
What year / trim level is your civic?

do you have any mods done to the car?

Back