Red Ambient Light
Part# 08E10-TR0-100A
Application: 2012 Civic 2dr/4dr

AMBIENT_LIGHTING_KIT_RED_LED_mid.jpg

DIY guide for the Blue Ambient
http://9thcivic.com/forum/pages/2012-Civic-2-And-4-Door-Ambient-Lights/

http://9thcivic.com/forum/pages/2012-Civic-2-And-4-Door-Ambient-Lights-Si/

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpwWiwdku3w&feature=player_embedded

Looks like a fun easy lil mod.. On CHH it still says TBA on the red, any clue for sure when they expect to have him?

Wish the HFP floor mats were avail. by themselves instead of having to buy the full blown package, they remind me of the old CTR floor mats..

Just received my ambient light kit from the dealer. I am supposed to have it installed tomorrow. Looking at the comments about poor lighting and the modifications on the DIY forum had me worried. It appears that the lights themselves have been changed by Honda. Looking at the DIY install, the covers are solid blue and were drilled out (modified) to give more light. Notice the attched photo of my new kit and the covers are clear with a small round blue plastic oval that fits loosely in side the cover. I' wondering if this is an upgrade because of complaints received about the dim lighting. I'm also thinking that if I leave the blue oval out, then I would get more light but probably only "white" light and no blue. Anyone, especially those that have installed the kit, have any feedback?

light-jpg.2050

Attachments

• light.jpg
    light.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 488
Yeah, I saw the diy. That's why I brought the lighting kit home from the dealer and checked it out. The light covers are entirely different from the ones in the diy. After looking at these, I would imagine if you get the red ambient lighting kit now it would just be the same cover and the little colored oval would be red. As I mentioned, I am going to have the dealer install the kit tomorrow so will let you know how bright the lights are when they I get the car back. From the looks of the new covers they should be brighter.

The blue kit has always had semi-clear lenses. It's the red kit that comes with the blue lenses that everyone is complaining about.

That clears it up then...curious to see if the ambient lighting for the blue installation will be bright enough. Will supply feedback when it is done.

I said I would follow-up this thread after I had the ambient lighting kit installed. It is dark out now and I just checked it out. Guess what? It SUCKS !! You can see some blue light in the console (not much) and hardly see any light in the footwells. Big waste of money. I know that guys installing the red ambient system were getting more light by drilling the blue cap. Since my cap is clear with only the small round blue oval piece (see above photo) I doubt that I can drill any thing to make it brighter. I might try to remove the blue oval disc and see what that does but I'm assuming, by doing that, I will only get white light. Best advice I can give is save your money and don't install this modification.

I've read in various threads that the LEDs are colored. Like the red kit uses red LED lights, and the blue uses blue LED lights.

first off, wtf Honda? red lights with a blue filter? someone in their engineering dept is smoking crack.

the 8thgen kit was far brighter, but the kit itself is more useful providing a fused and switched oem harness that you can tap other leds onto.

Looking at the one pic of a disassembled light, it looks to me as if maybe its a high powered led thats being run with a huge load resistor rather than a current regulator.
I think i see a leg on either side of the die similar to these
5-watt-high-power-led.jpg

I guess everyone is also aware that the ambient blue lights in the wheelwells and the console only come on when the headlights are on. I assumed that when you opened the doors the lights would also come on and provide a nice effect. All the switch does is kill the ambient lighting if you don't want them on when you are driving with the headlights on. If what webby says then I can't figure out why the little blue plastic oval is in there. I am going to screw around with them (remove the blue oval or maybe drill the clear plastic cap) to see if it gets any better. I'll update if I find out anything.

Back