DIY DIY - How to Paint your Stock Rims w/ Lip

epioidz

NY
Vehicle Model
Honda Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
DIY - Painting Stock Rims w/ Lip

-First: Let's see what you'll be needing on this Project.

1.) 4 Cans of your choice paint and color (I choose Engine Enamel paint due to its durability)
2.) 2-3 Cans of Primer (white is the best)
3.) 1 Can of you choice paint color for the lip
4.) 400 Grit Sandpaper
5.) Sponge and soap (for cleaning the rims)
6.) 1 Roll of masking tape or blue painters tape
7.) Flash Cards Optional or lots of old news papers
8.) Safety Gear (gloves - waterproof is best and mask)
9.) A helping hand... you'll need someone to help you on this project

engine enamel:
wheel1.jpg

primer
wheel2.jpg

-If you got everything you need, you need to find a spacious place that you can work on. A garage is the best. Start by removing your wheels, you'll need a strong jack and atleast 4 jack stand if you don't have a lift.

wheel3.jpg

wheel4.jpg

-After you remove the wheels, clean your wheels with soap and sponge or wheel cleaner. Make sure to clean it thoroughly for better result.

wheel5.jpg

p.s. Make sure to label each wheel for it's placement. you don't want to interchange your wheels. For balance purposes.

-Next step; get your 400 grit sand paper and start sanding each rims (use water to avoid wasting lots of sand paper). Sand everything and make sure it's rough. Just try your best to sand all sides and corners. This process makes the paint stick to the rims. (this takes time, so consider more people to help you) Use your gloves to protect your hands. Safety first.

wheel6.jpg

-Next thing to do is get your flash cards and put it around the rims to protect the tires from paint. You can also use newspapers and tape it around the wheel. Make sure to tape the flash cards together for stability and to avoid dislodgement.

wheel7.jpg

-Don't forget to put on your mask before you start painting.., lol
wheel9.jpg

-Now that all the preparations are done, you can start painting your rims with primer. Thin coats are good but i decided to do it with thick coats just thick enough but not to thick so that it wouldn't drip. Apply at least 2-3 coats of primer on each rims. Allow 10-15 mins for each coat to dry.

wheel10.jpg

-After the primer is all dry, give it a about 25-30 minutes after the last coat of primer just to make sure its dry. Also lightly touch it to make sure it is in fact dry. After it is dry you can sand it down a little if you want or if you have any bubbles. I didn't have any bubbles so i just went ahead to the next step which is painting. Get your can of paint that you decided on I chose low gloss black but since it's out of stock I used semi-gloss black. On the color paint make sure you do light coats. use a whole can of paint on each wheel and make sure you get all the hidden spots. Allow at least 20 minutes in between each coat. Doing about 4-5 coats.

wheel11.jpg

wheel12.jpg

Now on to the Lip. Chose the color you like your lip to be. I chose red as it is the theme of my car.

-After your paint has dried for at least 30mins and is not sticky at all anymore go ahead and start taping around the inside of the lip on the rim. Cover the inside of the rim to make sure we don't get any paint on the inside of the rim. I used a folded newspaper and taped around the edges where there were open spots:
wheel13.jpg

p.s. This takes time also, so ask for help.

-Apply primer again to the rims that are exposed. Then, after the primer has dried up. Start painting, spray as much as you want just leave time in between for it to dry. I did about 10 coats just because it is the lip and it is the most that will get damage.

wheel14.jpg

wheel15.jpg

-Let it dry for at least 30 minutes or more, just to make sure. If you think it is dry enough. Start removing the tape and flash cards. Start by carefully removing the flash cards one-by-one. Then follow by removing the tape and newspapers.

It should look like this...

wheel16.jpg

wheel17.jpg

-Now that your done painting your rims. It's time to put those sexy rims on.

wheel18.jpg

wheel19.jpg

Have fun with your new rims. Hope I help you.
Enjoy!!

wheel20.jpg

really nicely done. I backed up all of the images and put them in the diy gallery. Thanks for making a tutorial :thumbsup:

really nicely done. I backed up all of the images and put them in the diy gallery. Thanks for making a tutorial :thumbsup:

no problem. always willing to share to others....

thanks guys.... my 1st DIY post...

Very nice DIY. The sanding process seems like a lot of work. Haha.

wheel14.jpg

BTW, are you Filipino? I see a Filipino newspaper. Haha.
philippines-flag-waving-emoticon-animated.gif

Very nice DIY. The sanding process seems like a lot of work. Haha.

wheel14.jpg

BTW, are you Filipino? I see a Filipino newspaper. Haha.
philippines-flag-waving-emoticon-animated.gif

Whahaha!!! U noticed!! Yeah, im a pure blooded filipino...

Yeah bro, sanding takes the longest and the hardest step of the project...

Who else here is a filipino? Haha pilipino cars always have a flag or a three stars and a sun stickers on them... haha im one of them... haha

I have a Philippine JDM badge, but it hasn't been on the car for a while because I keep forgetting to put it back. Lol.

Back