Votes: 37 45.7%

• Total voters

WhiteFG4

Arizona
Vehicle Model
Civic si
Body Style
Coupe
I wanted to start a poll to find out just how many of us have this problem. So let us know if your 2012 Si burns oil, and if it does, when did you first notice and how much oil will it burn through. Thanks.

edit - Update Oct 25th, 2012
post 181
Service Bulletin 12-069, October 23, 2012

Excessive Engine Oil Consumption

Applies To:
2012 Civic Si 2-Door – From VIN 2HGFG4A...H700001 thru 2HGFG4A...H703398
2012 Civic Si 4-Door – From VIN 2HGFB6E...H700001 thru 2HGFB6E...H703802

SYMPTOM
The engine oil level is low on the dipstick, and the low
oil pressure indicator may come on.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Replace all the engine pistons and the piston rings.

I first noticed mine at about 1500 miles. When I took it to the dealer at 1800 it was a quart low and my "check engine oil level" light would pop on for a sec.

Just my opinion...

I think the title of this thread should probably have the word "excessively" somewhere, which should then be qualified by an amount. Maybe... more than a quart every 3000 miles? Not sure.

However, all engines will consume oil to some extent, and my 8thgen Si used to go through more than most - mainly because I regularly vtec'd the snot out of it.

Oh I was under the impression that there should be minimal to no oil loss. I guess Honda claims 20% oil loss is common but that seems excessive to me, especially for a Eco-friendly car. I'm not a mechanic but from an average consumers stand point a quart every 1500 miles is excessive in my opinion. Do other car manufacturers claim a quart every 1500 miles as common?

Mine does. I had the check oil level light on at about 2000 miles put in a quart then around 3600 said maintenance needed. Then about 4500 car was running funny checked oil level had to put in a quart. I'm going in for an oil change this week at 6800 miles. Car revs more than usual when the oil is low when ur gearing down. I try to vtec more since sum speculate that babying was an issue. Gonna def monitor oil more and if it doe the same I will b going to dealer instead of getting the quart myself. My bf thinks I should jus get a 5 gallon bottle but I'm like the car shouldn't act this way y r we buying oil to begin with.

Noticed first consumption issues at around 1100-1200 on odometer, at that time it was about a 1/4 of a quart. Stayed there for a long time then noticed around 2500-3000 it dropped to about a 1/2 quart down at it has stayed there, and now I have 5300 miles on Si factory fill. Changing it soon, maybe next week. Hope that's all the consumption I see, and from what I've read online mine is very minimal.

I've sent out a newsletter asking si owners to check their oil levels.

im Going to say at 1000 miles i got it and any time i had a sharp turn to make it'd flash the check oil light and go away... at 1050 i went in to have it checked out cause it would be an all the time thing it was a quart and then some under

im Going to say at 1000 miles i got it and any time i had a sharp turn to make it'd flash the check oil light and go away... at 1050 i went in to have it checked out cause it would be an all the time thing it was a quart and then some under
are they having you do tests for oil consumption?

"AFTER 1500 MILES DRIVING MY 9TH CIVIC, I CHANGE THE OIL AND ITS SO WORTH IT" I RECOMMEND.....>>april 2012....
SORRY I DONT HAVE PICS TO SHOW HOW DARK THE OIL AND TOUCH THE USE OIL YOU WILL FEEL SOME FINE METALS IN THE OIL.....

UPDATE: 2012 CIVIC Si CRYSTAL BLACK, 3150 MILES ALREADY....

EVEN BEFORE I READ ABOUT THIS ISSUES OF LOSING OIL. ON MY OIL CHANGE I USED MOBILE ADVANCE SYNTHETIC OIL 0W20 AND HONDA FILTER FROM DEALER. I FILLED MY ENGINE THE RECOMMENDED AMOUNT OF OIL 4.1QT., BUT I EXCEED TO 4.5QT AND AFTER CLEAN-UP N SETTLE FOR 30MINS. I CHECK THE OIL LEVEL, IT DID NOT EVEN RICH THE MAX LEVEL (LAST DOT) OF THE LIP DIP.

THIS MORNING, I CHECK MY OIL LEVEL AND NOTICE THE LEVEL WAS JUST 2MM ABOVE THE MIN LEVEL (FIRST DOT) OF THE LIP DIP. I DID NOT HAVE ANY WARNING MESSAGE OR INDICATOR LIGHT IN MY DASH OR I-MID. SO, I ADDED THE REMAINING OIL I HAVE, WHICH IS THE 0.5QT REMAINDER OF THE 5QT I BOUGHT. THE OIL LEVEL I HAVE NOW IS THE SAME LEVEL BEFORE, BELOW THE MAX POINT (LAST DOT).

AFTER MY 1ST OIL CHANGE 1500 MILES 2000 MILES, I STARTED REVVING HIGH ON ALL SIX GEARS (1ST TO 4TH GEAR, REVVING BETWEEN 3700RPM TO 5000RPM). BUT, I'M NOT HITING VTEC ZONES. I KNOW AROUND 5200RPM VTEC LIGHT WILL SHOW TO INDICATE, I AM STARTING TO HIT VTEC. BETWEEN 2300 MILES TO 2900 MILES, I TRIED HITTING VTEC FROM 1ST TO 4TH GEAR WITHOUT EXCEEDING 6700RPM AND IT HAPPEN ONLY 3X.

THERE ARE SOME TIMES I HIT VTEC ON A LAUNCH FROM A STOP LIGHT MOST ON 1ST AND 2ND NOT EXCEEDING 5700RPM. ON A HIGHWAY, WITH A 3RD GEAR PULL, I TRIED VTEC FROM 3RD TO 4TH GEAR NOT EXCEEDING 6300RPM.

I BELIEVED, WITH THIS I LOSS OR BURN OIL AND HAVE TO ADD 0.5QT. NEXT WEEK, I WILL BE PERFORMING MY 2ND OIL CHANGE SAME BRAND AND GRADE OF OIL AND FILTER. AFTER THE OIL CHANGE, I WILL DRIVE WITHOUT VTEC (UP TO 4600RPM, IF NEED) AND I WILL CHECK WEEKLY THE LEVEL OF OIL.

I WILL KEEP YOU GUYS POSTED AND SAFE DRIVING.

So after I originally noticed my oil going low, the light came on *sometimes* for a few seconds. I took it to the dealer who filled it up and told me that he wanted to monitor it and to come back in 1000 miles. He wasn't sure if it was burning or if it never got topped off on its PDI (which was done at another dealership). I told him when I got home I checke the oil am it was full, but he still wouldn't rule it out.

After 1000 miles I went back and I knew I was about 1/2 qt low on oil. He old me Honda's specs were 1 qt for every 1000 miles in acceptable. I already knew that, although I think it's bologna. He didn't even top me off just sent me on my way, with no documentation or anything. He also told methat since my Si had red indicators by the speedo I was driving it a lil hard and oil
loss is common when you drive hard. I told him I don't drive hard, barely ever hit vtec and baby this car. He disagreed but I was late for work am just wanted to leave after realized they weren't going to do anything for me.

Since I've heard about the rings not seating properly I figured maybe I was too soft on this car and decided to start driving it like I originally wanted too, like an *** hole... Lol jk. But I engaged vtec as much as I could, and really beat on this thing hard. Hoping this might stop the oil loss.

Now I'm about 3200 miles and I check my oil while re-fueling and sure enough I'm a full qt low. I call the dealer again to ask them if they want me to put in my oil or if they are. He says to come down so we can document it and I asked him if he figured out that Si don't change color like the other civic. He did, and apologized. So now I'm headed down to the dealer and I'll keep you guys posted if anything happens.

^^typing from an iPhone owns me. Can't spell anything right lol.

Anyways. The dealer called me to tell me I was .8 of a qt low and it has been about 1400 miles since he topped it off. He calculated I'm consuming 1 qt every 1871 miles, and I'm getting documentation for everything. I talked to him about it and he said the Honda rep told him Honda was investigating this and one solution he heard about was switching out the pistons for tsx pistons. That's purely speculation at this point though, but it's nice to hear Honda is investigating. Although I doubt I would qualify for any thing major since I'm not consuming more than they allot.

My Si experience is like skyfox23
First checked at about 1,000 miles and it was about 1/4 qt. low.
Checked yesterday at 2,698 and it was the same.
I'm babying Mr. Blue and averaging 31.48 mpg (80% around town). Computer is showing 33.2 (about 5.5% high).
The 2 short (200 - 300 mile) road trips are right at 35 mpg actual but in both cases there were 3 or 5 people in the car.
Can't wait to do a road trip with just the 2 of us.
Like all newer cars, cold ambient temperature seems to have about a 10% effect.

Webby - Suggest appending members State. Providence, or region to icons so we can get a better feel for how member inputs relate to our area.

whitefg4 - arizona
frediii - ny
SiSedanGuy - colorado
stoe - maryland
skyfox23 - oregon
jjtog - pennsylvania
SprIng25 - new jersey
tacthecat - massachusetts

and from another thread, the tsx pistons were reported to have the same part # as the 12 si.

Back