iluvmycsx

Mr Csx
VIP Member
Regina - The City That Rhymes with Fun
Vehicle Model
Acura Csx
Body Style
Sedan
Since winter is upon some of us what are some helpfull tips for winter driving.
most is common sense but maybe over looked.

-have a shovel in trunk you never know when it might come in handy..
-even if it not dark out when snowing always a good idea to have your headlights on. tail lights dont light up when you have drl.
-clean snow off windows ,mirrors, headlights ,tail lights and roof too.

-Using signal lights when changing lanes is always helpful.
-Slowing down earlier before needing to stop, especially at intersections where the light is going to change and you know that.
-Always keep emergency supplies(ie.blanket) in the trunk of your car for when your on the highway in case of car failure.
-Always keep your cell phone on you.
-Always keep no less than half a tank of gas in your car.

There are probably a lot more that I could add to this, but i'll let you guys post a few ideas...lol.

-Don't keep your brush in the trunk. You won't be able to open the trunk and grab the brush when the trunk is full of snow.
-Always carry a jumper wire or a battery jumper.

I have extensive rural winter driving experience, as well as driving a tow truck in a former life..... the things that I can't stress enough are:

* Keep your distance !! Don't tailgate. With ice and slush, your stopping distances are greatly increased. Also when stopping in a line of traffic, keep a car length ahead of you, and watch your rearview mirror when you are stopped. IF the person behind you underestimates the distance needed to stop, you can take evasive action by moving ahead / or moving to the shoulder etc.

* Drive like there is an egg under the fuel and brake pedal. ( meaning be SMOOTH when accelerating or braking, as well as steering input, don't jerk the wheel ) Remember, winter tires do NOT trump driving like an idiot!!

* Be prepared! Insulated winter boots and snow pants are a necessity in some parts, especially in rural areas. Scarf, winter hat, gloves and good jacket are a MUST. If you have a breakdown, and it's a matter of hours for emergency services to reach you, it's essential that you be prepared. It's no fun freezing, or loosing digits because you never thought you might have issues. A shovel is also a very good idea, even if you never have to use it, as well as booster cables. Think of these things as cheap insurance.

* Keep the fuel tank topped up! Not only will there be less chance of condensation inside the tank from hot / cold cycles ( water in fuel ), you never know when you may have to idle to keep warm, or sit in the event of a highway closure. ( think many hours in the event of a fatality on the highway, or if you have "lost it" and are in the snowbank )

* Keep cash on hand.... you don't want to know how many motorists rely on 'plastic' and don't carry cash. In the event that you need to top up a tank in a rural area ( or pay for other services such as lock out, boost, etc ), and the phone systems are down, so are the credit cards and debit cards. Cash is king people!

* Cell phone, while service is very reliable most of the time, keep in mind there are areas where cell phones will not provide you service. In Northwestern Ontario, with the low population density and rugged terrain, there are many areas that are in the black for service. However, a cell is definitely something to have on hand, keep it charged up, with a charger in the car.

If you get a chance to do it safely, when it snows go out to a large empty paved lot and see how your car handles and drives. Always good to learn how to get out of a slide..

Absolutely! Many people are clueless as to how their vehicles handle at the limit of traction, it's one thing I like to do is to test the limits in a safe area, and to know how the car / truck reacts.

Another thing to think about, winter driving involves driving long hours sometimes in the dark, and if you are tired, please, please find a safe place to get off of the road, even if you have to pull into a rest stop, and lock the doors with the car running to have heat, to get 20 minutes of rest before moving on.

This person fell asleep while driving, missed a turn, and the car continued on over 1/4 mile in the ditch, missing a bridge approach, driving alongside the abuttment, and turning, drove under the bridge itself, coming to rest 30 feet from open water. If the driver wasn't lucky as all heck, they would have drowned as the car went under the ice. IMG_8281.JPG

I use parking lots al the time to practice on/in my mc & car............ You can usually find empty lots like churches during the week ,and schools on the weekends......

Back in the 70's I was teaching the son of a woman I worked with, how to drive in the snow using a closed amusement parks lot, after about a half hour a security guard ran us off saying that it was dangerous doing that......... I refrained from trying to educate him, and left.

One thing I've not seen mentioned yet has to do with choosing your route wisely.

Most of the time, when the weather isn't bad, I'll drive to work using rural back roads. However, when there's been a heavy snow, ice, etc., I will use major routes only. These roads will tend to be cleared first, and be in the best condition. In my experience, the more major the roadway, the clearer it will be.

Is it just me or didn't anyone mention to invest in snow tires??
I still remember the first time I decided to switch over to snows in the winter and I couldn't believe the difference they made in snow, slush, and ice.
I'm on my third vehicle and I've used Michelin X-ice for all three vehicles. They are amazing! I highly recommend using them in the winter and for those who don't think they need them......your loss. Don't say i didn't warm ya;)

Is it just me or didn't anyone mention to invest in snow tires??
I still remember the first time I decided to switch over to snows in the winter and I couldn't believe the difference they made in snow, slush, and ice.
I'm on my third vehicle and I've used Michelin X-ice for all three vehicles. They are amazing! I highly recommend using them in the winter and for those who don't think they need them......your loss. Don't say i didn't warm ya;)

That's what I meant by good tires :) I do agree with you 100% getting the winter tires is the first thing before anything else.

X Ice are a great choice. I am going to try the Nokian Hakka R this time though, people have tons of great things to say about them and I read that Michellin is always competing with the Hakkas.

Winter tires are awesome as long as people realize they don't make you invincible in the snow...

I have General Altimax Artic on the car now, but need new ones and might go with Conti snow tires...

Winter tires are awesome as long as people realize they don't make you invincible in the snow...

I have General Altimax Artic on the car now, but need new ones and might go with Conti snow tires...

Yes, that's for sure, some people think that miracle tires can make up for stupid driving. They can't.

I wager that at least 8 out of 10 vehicles I retrieved out of the ditches and down embankments in the winter were wearing new or next to new winter tires.

Brand new BFG Winter Slalom tires on this accord didn't help stop the car when the tractor trailer in front was turning into a fuel station. There were 4 guys in the car, and not one of them spotted the truck slowing down in front. They plowed into the ICC bumper at around 60 km/ hr. IMG_6799R.jpgIMG_6800R.jpg

Back